• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Will Amphetamines help Opiate withdrawal?

i know this is an old post but just wanted to weigh in with my experience. i've been on opiates for probably 10 years or so. started with hydrocodone but am now on 3 100mcg/fent patches every 48 hours in addition to 2 30mg oxy IR every 6 hours for breakthru pain (although i generally do not take as prescribed) but will take anything i can get when times get tough, as i'm sure is the same with everyone. needless to say, my tolerance is pretty high and i've been using for quite a while, especially considering my age.

anyhow, today i am in day 2 of withdrawals and since i had to work for 10 hours, decided to try taking something to get my ass going. i took 60mg of vyvanse (a pharm amphetamine) and am feeling MUCH better. although i'm not a frequent amphetamine user, i enjoy them from time to time and usually suffer very few negative side effects or much of a comedown thankfully. i guess the point of my rambling is to say that everyone is different and respond to different chemicals in different ways. for me at least, amphetamines are a great help during w/ds, especially if you have shit you HAVE to do. the worst part of w/ds for me personally are the heavy weighted down feeling and the pain (which I would have regardless of being in w/ds or not but i'm sure it's amplified because of w/ds) but amphetamines help a lot with both of these. i've taken plenty of immodium so thankfully i'm not confined to the toilet all day.

sorry for being so long-winded (probably the amphetamines) but i didn't want my first post here to be something lame like "they helped me!" as i always find the posts with some information about the posters tolerance and other stuff to be more useful. anyway, thanks for all the information as i've been lurking around this site for a while but just registered today. :)

For me amphetamines on opioid withdrawal is like trying to put out a flame with gasoline.
The joint and muscle pains are more pronounced, restless legs kind of made no difference on, I get these leg spasm while being on amphetamine when im "healthy" too so.

And then we have the anxiety and depression which I suffer from specially when im withdrawaling from drugs.. oh man. Amphetamines just boost those emotions and add a healthy bit of paranoia in the mixture.

needles to say amphetamines during opioid withdrawal is for me not an option, it just takes the WD's to the next level of intensity.

Fuck if i was in full blown wd i wouldnt think about touching speed. Id be in bed or in a bathtub.

But... ive found it helped me during coming off subutex.

another opinion

Personally, I have recently been smoking a very small amount of meth early in the day while withdrawing, I've found that it gives me a nice euphoria, settles my stomache a little, and helps with the energy crisis, I wouldn't have gotten shit done yesterday without them, plus by night fall my body is exhausted by them, so sleep is good. I am avoiding more than 2 days in a row with suboxone for the couple days to a week between. I actually got more done the second time attempting this than I have while on opiates period.

And I've been doing opiates from 14-24, starting ate morphine 30's until OC was cheaper back in the day, 300mg a day at least. Went cold turkey from oc twice after that, then started selling oc and went from a couple pill a day habit to a minimal 8 ball a day slammed of tar to .5 a day of pure H (well, as close as you can buy) so I would say I am fairly opiod dependant/tolerant

I wouldn't touch amphetamines during withdrawal. Just a bad idea all around. They will definetly make the anxiety and all around crawling out of your skin feeling alot worse, especially when they wear off.

I wouldn't touch amphetamines during withdrawal. Just a bad idea all around. They will definetly make the anxiety and all around crawling out of your skin feeling alot worse, especially when they wear off.

Yeah.
All I want to do while WD'ing of of opioids is to sleep, how many times have you prayed a silent prayer that you could please have just an hour of sleep thats all.. instead you just lie there twitch and turn every 2 second.

Amphetamine would increase that 10 fold in my experience.

I did a small bump of meth today as it was my first day off oxy 60mg/day. I have to say it helps.

Believe it or not, I find that amphetamines do, to some degree, help with opiate withdrawal symptoms. But I haven't ever experienced severe withdrawal symptoms, only mild withdrawal symptoms, even more mild than the symptoms of some terrible head colds I've had before. So, for me, a small dose of amphetamines after an opiate-binge helps me to feel more motivated to get out of bed and do something.

I know its scary to try it during that hell but for me it takes withdrawal completely away. And nothing has helped this much, besides dxm but that only worked at tripping doses and the comedown from that makes me feel like my skins falling off.

I do have to say that I absolutely can not smoke weed with amp (I attribute this to opiate withdrawal, as I was never "anxious" before) if i do smoke weed i end up with a heart beat of 120bpms and my chest gets real tight. Scary feeling.

But with that being said adderall and coke (unless its rock!) have never gave me euphoria, at best coke makes me mildly speedy. Adderall on the other hand does jack shit as far as a "high". I got dumb yesterday and "chased the high" as everyone warned me not to.. Ended up snorting three and a half, I think... When one pill parachuted relieves it real quick and lasts all day, then 3 or 4 diphie's and I sleep through the night.

When I'm in W/D my main complaints are insomnia and restless arms, legs, back, shoulders, you name it and I never thought anything could fix the RLS/RAS but it took mine away completely!

Last edited:
Adderall definately helps with opiate withdrawls but like others have said your gonna go through some horrible depression. try not to use too much and use it when you have to go to work or school only. Also, try to avoid using it to late because you going to have enough difficulty sleeping without Amphetamines keeping you awake. Good luck.

Dont listen to speculation

I've been looking for the same inforamation because I'm about to start going through WDs and I am looking for the best way to help him. I had an experience a few years back that might shed some light.

I am originally from Hollywood CA and had endless giant shards. Eventually, as it always does, the shards won and I ended up on my Sisters farm in South Carolins, not knowing anyone. Eventually I got in contact with some of my old buddies in Hollywood and arranged for some fedexes. The shards in SC were OK, but WAYY overpriced.

On the day of a delivery, I woke up feeling sick, and not just sick, but REALLY fucking sick.. Lungs full of liquid, voice soinding like darth vader, HORRIBLE body aches , restless legs (always had that), and basically fall down die sick. Skyhigh Fever, the works.

Then I heard the fedex guy drop a box on the porch. My girl went out to get it and brought it to my bed. I openened it and stared at the giant crystals thinking "what a hell of a time to get this sick" and people, this was close to pneumonia sick, not sniffles and a little couch.. Think full blown lung whooping, death bed.

I stared at the box for a while, it smelled like bubble gum from the dryer sheets. I wanted to just go back to bed and sleep, relieved that the box made it. But the draw was too strong.. Maybe just one hit, then bed. Break out the bubble, drop it in, just a touch of the light to get that lovely oil showing (I'm not only anal and will break a bubble on your head for blackening it), a nice big billowy hit with the expectancy to cough (up until this point I could only take shallow breaths before that little fly in the lung would cause a coughing explosion.

Anyway, the lovely taste of bubble gum and ex-hale, and I think you can assume where I'm going with this. Within 2 hours, I was high fiving my brother in law in the parking lot of a strip club "I thought you were on your death bed" bro said "I was!" I replied.

The night progressed into what you would expect after receiving a big box, but what was strange was the sickness never re-appeared. This got me thinking, in the years of being a hard code tweaker (not 20's but access to buckets of glass) how many times had I gotten sick. I would like to say never, but thats probably not realistic, but far less than when abstaining.

I hadn't done shards in almost 8 years (fuck Milwaukee) - and had gotten sick like everyone else. But I did just fill a script for Adderall XRs and am planning on jumping from a gram of high end H back to Suboxone after the appropriate reading on the COWs this weekend, but if I can't sleep it off with Ambien and Klonapin, I might try some amphetamines. Today is the first day Ive has taken any adderall in months and its the only reason this post was written.

Do put too much weight in speculation. There are plenty of things that dont make sense but in fact work. Bumble Bees, Reality TV. In my opinion, it's always OK to try something as long as you have something to counteract it and you try it in small doses..

Now ask me how freaked out I am about jumping from a Gram of H to subutex this weekend. The web is filled with NOTHING but speculation and if I hadnt gotten so caught up in reading forums, I would have done it a long time ago and saved about 30 grand.

P.S. I have always felt that Methamphetamines carried a power so strong it was spiritual. Its the ultimate trump card and is the only drug that is able to disconnect the mind from the heart from the soul. My relationship with it goes back 25 years on and off from the peanut butter crank and p-dope from Orange County, to Phillipino true ICE in Toronto, to Mexican glass in Atlanta, and the real deal holyfield 4-MAR (euphoria - if you have heard about 4-MAR but never seen it, watch the movie LIMITLESS. Its painfully obvious that they wrote that movie about 4-MAR). Crystal is by far the most evil chemical on the planet and if you think it isnt then you probably havent been doing it long enough. Even if you don't lose everything, your body and mind will change - never to return. I would also give my right nut for some to come around Milwaukee, but apparently Milwaukee likes the tried and tested three. Coke, H, and shitty ass beer.

Last edited by a moderator:
^very displeasing to the eye. instead of "swim" try "i". you're post is just confusing and tacky mate, sorry.

back on topic, 2 years of suboxone tapered to some random amount of loperamide/imodium ended very NICELY with a big bottle of adderall. it helped me through exams, perform nicely at work, and just get out of bed. the only bad thing was NOT SLEEPING AT ALL! any time i felt my legs cramping up and that awful crunching feeling in the gut i'd take another 60mg of adderall, 3am or 10pm, it didnt matter. it helped with the pain, depression, and lack of motivation... the worst parts of WD. without it i would have missed work/been fired and bombed finals. thank you adderall creator (i forgot who this is)

^Ya, amps do their job of keeping your mind off needing to nod out, because you're too busy being amped. Replacing one addiction for another, blah blah, etc, but for many, they they be quite the utility.

thank you adderall creator (i forgot who this is)
Dr. Theodor Gilbert Morell (I hope you know this is a joke).

i wouldnt suggest anything to help with your opiate withdrawal that can produce a mind altering effect as i have learnt. seems as if i've switched my addiction to opiates to amphetamines (dex) but i feel as if i have under "control". i will see tomorrow as i attempt my 2-3 day break each month. i know that if i can't do it without suffering withdrawal etc then im hooked. wish me luck!

Mind altering? Opiate/oid withdrawals themself can be "mind altering". If someone has amps on them and can use them responsibly to prevent a relapse back onto narcotics, without getting addicted to amps, I don't see the harm. The biggest thing to worry about is being on amps in withdrawals and not being able to sleep. I guess I wouldn't suggest amps either then, because this is pretty much asking people to eat gobs of benzos along with their amps.

Good luck btw.

this is true dexter, but considering the psychological implications of opiate abuse (addictive personality per say) id say the risk of abuse of amphetamines is relatively high too. it all depends on the length of time you have used opi's for though i guess and if you have a true willpower to quit :)

thank you! hope it will go alright.

I'm not stepping on your toes, I just would like to specify that there is a huge difference between physical addiction and psychological implications; unless you were talking about how much one changes their thought processes, while physically addictive, so that they won't go into withdrawals.
Not everyone uses opiates to get a buzz.

yeah i meant about how someone changes their thought processes, misphrased that one!