• AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: Herald Sun - 3/03/09 New police chief says drug war unwinnable

hoptis

Bluelight Crew

Man of action Simon Overland to take up fight
Article from: Herald Sun
Geoff Wilkinson
March 03, 2009 12:00am

ANYONE who thinks police can win a war against drugs is crazy, Victoria's new police chief Simon Overland said.

"We're never going to eradicate it, and I think to pretend otherwise is just silly," Mr Overland told the Herald Sun.

"It's not about a war, it's actually about appropriate controls and how we genuinely put in place policies that lead to the least harm to people using illicit drugs and least harm to the community."

Mr Overland said drugs would continue to be a major priority for the force under his leadership, which begins officially today.

"I'm not saying there's not more for us to do. There is and it's an enormous challenge," he said. But the drug that concerned him most was alcohol.

"Alcohol is a factor in public safety, it's a factor in the road toll, it's a factor in family violence and sexual assaults," he said. "I think we need as a community to come to a position that says being drunk in public is not OK.

"I'm not a wowser. I understand people want to drink and have a good time and that's OK. But if drinking becomes a problem for the individual or the community, that's not OK."

Chief Commissioner Overland, 46, said the biggest challenges facing the force included public safety, the road toll and tough economic times.

"We know that in hard times the crime rate tends to go up, and it could also lead to increases in family violence and sexual assaults," he said.

Mr Overland, who has two degrees, has been identified as a high-flyer since he was Australian Federal Police recruit of the year in 1984.

Raised in Canberra, the former keen footballer and cricketer now describes himself as "a boring middle-aged man who likes surfing".

Mr Overland has a five-year contract. He was told he had the chief commissioner's job late last Friday.

He is an advocate of what he describes as "soft power" - the use of influence and persuasion rather than force.

"The hard-soft debate that goes on is an exercise in futility in my view," he said.

"The better question is what's the most appropriate response. It's about using both, and knowing when to use both and using them appropriately."

He said violent street protests like the G20 demonstration would be policed differently under his leadership.

"For that hard core that were committed to causing trouble, we should have dealt with them in the strongest possible terms within the law, and that's absolutely what I would try to do," he said.

There was a growing disparity between rights and responsibilities and "a tendency to want to make the government or the police responsible for everything".

"We have a responsibility, and I don't walk away from that, but the rest of the community, and individuals, have a responsibility as well."

Mr Overland said he was worried about people becoming desensitised to violence and said some computer games and media played a role.

"Some of the computer games are incredibly violent and broader representations of violence in the media can be problematic," he said. "I think that's why we see some of the behaviour on the streets."

Mr Overland is known as a private person, but says he and his wife Barbara know he will now be more public property.

"I'm not a celebrity, I'm a cop, but we understand the public side of the role," he said.

Mr Overland said his philosophy and approach would be very similar to his predecessor Christine Nixon's, but his style would be different.

"I'm obviously not Christine, I'm a very different person but I'm committed to the same of things, like being open and accessible, working with the community and supporting our staff," he said.

Herald Sun

New Chief Commissioner Simon Overland vows to be tough
Article from: Herald Sun
Geoff Wilkinson and Mark Buttler
March 03, 2009 12:00am

VICTORIA'S new police Chief Commissioner, Simon Overland, has vowed to stand up against drugs and alcohol-fuelled violence.

And he called on parents to take more responsibility for teenagers.

"Parents and the broader community have to look at themselves and say 'They're our kids. Why are they behaving incredibly badly, or incredibly violently'?" he said.

"Sometimes parenting is just about saying no, and not letting them drink or behave in ways that cause damage to themselves or to the broader community."

Mr Overland said drugs were a top priority, but alcohol was his major concern.

"Alcohol is a factor in public safety," he said.

"It's a factor in the road toll, it's a factor in family violence and sexual assaults.

"I think we need as a community to come to a position that says being drunk in public is not OK.

"I'm not a wowser. I understand people want to drink and have a good time, and that's OK.

"But if drinking becomes a problem for the individual or the community, that's not OK and I think we've got a right and a responsibility to do something about that."

Mr Overland, 46, takes over from Christine Nixon after making his name tackling the underworld as deputy commissioner.

While tough on drugs and booze, he refused to back calls for a zero-tolerance approach to street offences.

"I for one would prefer to prevent crime than react to it as we often did in the good old days," Mr Overland said.

"Zero tolerance in its purest form does not have a place in our community. It is not about being soft or hard, it's about finding effective solutions."

The former Australian Federal Police officer was appointed after a selection process labelled by one observer as a "worldwide search for Simon Overland".

Mr Overland was always a hot favourite to be named the state's 20th chief commissioner.

But Premier John Brumby said he was by no means the only candidate considered in a strong field, which included two foreign officers.

"Simon Overland was the superior candidate - he was the exceptional candidate," Mr Brumby said.

"His success in Victoria particularly in tackling organised crime, his honesty, his integrity, his very strong intellect, his understanding of issues in our state all led the Cabinet to endorse him."

Mr Overland said Victoria Police had, under Ms Nixon, become a more flexible force and this had been shown in the aftermath of the Black Saturday fires.

He said Victorians had a role in helping the force operate at its best.

"Effective policing does not stop just with the police," Mr Overland said.

"It is my belief . . . policing is everyone's business and we all have responsibility."

Mr Overland said he had a good relationship with Police Association secretary Greg Davies and hoped that would continue.

Sen-Sgt Davies said he had been involved in "worthwhile conversation" with Mr Overland recently and hoped the sometimes fraught relations of the Nixon era were over.

"Ms Nixon is part of the history of Victorian policing and Mr Overland is now the future," Mr Davies said.

Ms Nixon said she was delighted Mr Overland was her successor.

"I think the most important part of Simon's choice is that he is a very legitimate choice," she said.

Herald Sun

A search for "Simon Overland" in this forum alone reveals some interesting results including this radio interview which Johnboy was also on back in 2004.

These are pretty interesting comments from a new police chief of the "Underbelly" state. As someone who dealt with organised crime as deputy commissioner, Overland would have a very good understanding of how illicit drugs fund organised crime and as an honours student in law/arts he's got to be smart enough to realise that the war on drugs is fundamentally flawed.

While a police commissioner will always be beholden to the politicians, who in turn have to answer to the public and the media constantly crying out for "tough on drugs" policies, it's pretty encouraging to have a mind like this at the helm.

In particular comments like this:

"It's not about a war, it's actually about appropriate controls and how we genuinely put in place policies that lead to the least harm to people using illicit drugs and least harm to the community."

That almost sounds like harm reduction.

Wow sounds like someone finally has the idea, good luck to him, I hope he keeps to his word.

I'm from WA, but I like the sound of this guy. Definitely starting to get on the right track now. Let's hope this leads to bigger and better things for HR :)

I don't know what a "wowser" is, but it will be interesting to see how this pans out.

^
Wiktionary said:
Wowser around 1900 shifted to its present meaning: one whose sense of morality drives them to deprive others of their sinful pleasures, especially liquor. The term was particularly applied to members of temperance groups such as the antipodean branches of the Woman's Christian Temperance Union.

lil angel15 said:
Could this be the start of change in Victoria.

Hopefully... send him to QLD once he has finished his tour there. :D

Funny how the first article portrays him as a moderate who at least somewhat holds a harm reduction policy, and the second skips over that entirely to paint him as the typical 'tough on drugs' material that we're used to.

^ yeah i'm confused. same paper, same date, same time, same reporter yet the second article is probably 'edited' by Mark Buttler - perhaps he's the papers resident wowser.

"We're never going to eradicate it, and I think to pretend otherwise is just silly," Mr Overland told the Herald Sun.

"... But the drug that concerned him most was alcohol."

I nearly fell off my chair reading those lines!

I like some of the things Mr Overland has to say, i wont hold my breath for any major changes but atleast the police chief is looking at things in a realistic manner.

His views are clearly far more educated and balanced than what we often see from the authorities. It's encouraging to say the least.

encouraging yes, but lets refrain from poping the champange corks just yet.

i heard 1 part of what he said

THE WAR ON DRUGS CANNOT BE ON

about time someone got relistic the usa have wasted billions and got knowwhere its actually got worse in the usa

encouraging yes, but lets refrain from poping the champange corks just yet.

could'nt agree more, thats just his first communication with the public from his new position. How this speech translates to actual policing, only time will tell

I would really really love to hear his opinion of sniffer dogs at festivals.