• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Varenicline (Champix) - Does it work?

I personally think its a wonder drug. I know about 10 people who have used champix to stop..with only one person going back to ciggies so far. 4 months off for me so far and i'm so bloody happy to be rid of the coffin nails. No longer on the champix though i do miss the dreams!

I've heard reasonable feedback for Champix but have seen better results from Alan Carr's book.

Experience??

champix

yeah champix works really well im half way through my treatment at the moment. they do half a fair few side effects though, the first month that i was on them i had a really short temper and was dipping at people over the smallest things. ive also hads alot of weird dreams since i started the treatment. the other 2people i know that halve used have both started smoking again around 8 months after they quit. but yes i would recomend it if you really wanna quit smoking.

oh ive also been smoking alot more weed since i quit smoking and with the money i've saved on cigarettes i have been able to afford to take good drugs on the weekend!

I started taking Chantix yesterday and almost as soon as it kicked in, I noticed a reduced desire to smoke. Furthermore, even though I railed 8 mg hydromorphone and drank a glass of wine, I could not smoke more than 2 cigarettes before I started to feel shaky.

Today, I smoked 3 cigarettes in the morning, and took the Chantix with lunch at 1:30, didn't want a cigarette at all until after dinner, where I lit one up, took three drags, got a mild headache, and put it out.

My dreams last night were fucking insane (esp. considering the hydromorphone as well), but in a good way.

spacefacethebassace - Always be careful when you're mixing Alcohol and Hydromorphone. The combination of the two can lead to CNS depression as well as respiratory depression - not a good mix.

^^^ words of wisdom

I'm considering Champix, everyone that I know that has used it has quit.

havnt logged in for a while, but felt the need to share my experience so far with Champix...

I started Champix around 2 weeks ago after a prolonged period of keeping my prescription in my bed side draw. The first thing I noticed almost immediately was the taste of tobacco was absolutely foul, the only way I could describe it was like taking a deep breath of camp fire smoke, it takes your breath away, literally.
The first week was great as the desire to smoke diminished incredibly. Before I go on I think I should point out that I run my own printing and design business which gives me the benefit of smoking non stop through out the day and the first thing I did/do when I got up was have a smoke, and so the last thing I did before sleep was have a smoke, to not want to smoke was like some kind of magic.
Im into the last few days of the first cycle of Champix and I could kill someone, Im the most easy going person you could meet, I step over ants for gawds sake, but these last 4 days have turned me into everything I hate, a grumpy short tempered bastard who has to think twice before opening my gob. I can honestly say I understand the people who do stupid things whilst on Champix and I think the only thing that has stopped me biting someones head off is my habit of over indulging in recreational drugs, by this I mean I know that its the drug that is making me feel like this and I can deal with it, just like the Tuesday after a big bender when you feel shit, I know its the drugs and I compensate. I suppose the question is, have I stopped smoking?......the answer is Ive lost the desire to smoke but not the habit, Ive cut back from around 50 rollies a day, to some days 3 or 4 which is incredible for me.
People debate whether Champix causes the irrational thoughts and actions, or the withdrawal from nicotine, either way is does kill the craving.
The hardest part is breaking the habit, that part Im having trouble with

Id suggest anyone contemplating using Champix to stop smoking watch this 4 part video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIQuwyCi8Xg
Im sure as the video's say that most people will not suffer any ill effects from this drug. Those of you that do should stop immediately and realise its probably the Champix, plus go see your doc

I've heard reasonable feedback for Champix but have seen better results from Alan Carr's book.

Experience??

I tried using willpower to cut down, smoking lower nicotine cigarettes, cold turkey, nicotine patches, hypnosis etc. I got a prescription for Champix but never got it filled because I read Alan Carr's book, "Easyway" to give up smoking. God what an absolutely brilliant book =D

All the way through reading it I was hopeful but scared that it wouldn't work for me because I felt I was too addicted to smoking. It was such a wonderful novelty to realise that I didn't have the ball and chain of ciggies for about the first year after I quit. It's years now that I haven't smoked and I just don't even think about it at all, in fact I can't believe I ever smoked.

Whatever you do mate, it's a great feeling not to need them anymore. <3 All the best to you.

For what it's worth, I found Champix effective in quitting around this time last year. It didn't eliminate the need for willpower, but it sure as hell dampened those cravings almost to a level where you could think clearly and impartially about whether to have a cig. Good luck.

For what it's worth, I found Champix effective in quitting around this time last year. It didn't eliminate the need for willpower, but it sure as hell dampened those cravings almost to a level where you could think clearly and impartially about whether to have a cig. Good luck.

Dang.

When they said 'wonder drug'...

Ya sorry to be the bearer of less than perfect news. On the bright side I was one of the worst super addicted smokers you'd ever know. Save your health for other more interesting substances ;)

Ya sorry to be the bearer of less than perfect news. On the bright side I was one of the worst super addicted smokers you'd ever know. Save your health for other more interesting substances ;)

I reckon one of the best things about this book was how it shows you that you don't need willpower :) Cutting down or cutting out any drug or behaviour that relies on willpower alone is destined to fail because no one can be 'strong' forever. Mystery Mister I see you say that you were a smoker, you don't smoke any more?

^^ You remind me of someone. Ever been to Colombia?

Got my starter pack today, going to take my first dose tomorrow. Talked my doctor into giving me a single script of temazies too because I told him I mix tobacco with my weed and need to give up both at the same time (didn't mention my vaporizer though =D). Going to write up a mental health plan too when I go back for my maintenance pack in three weeks time, figure I may as well make the most of the resources available to me, no point in living with one of the best health systems in the world and not taking advantage of it.

Did anyone use the 'my time to quit' support program on the net? Is it worth the bother or not?

Champix works but the hard part is when you finish the course and have to stick to your guns and not give in, as I have done recently. It helped me quit for most of this year though and was easy while I was taking it. I started up again though and am wishing I hadn't.

I've been asked a question by someone via PM - but I'm a Greenlighter so can't reply to you on this forum. Sorry :)

^^ You remind me of someone. Ever been to Colombia?

Got my starter pack today, going to take my first dose tomorrow. Talked my doctor into giving me a single script of temazies too because I told him I mix tobacco with my weed and need to give up both at the same time (didn't mention my vaporizer though =D). Going to write up a mental health plan too when I go back for my maintenance pack in three weeks time, figure I may as well make the most of the resources available to me, no point in living with one of the best health systems in the world and not taking advantage of it.

Did anyone use the 'my time to quit' support program on the net? Is it worth the bother or not?

I found the 'my time to quit' really annoying actually as they email you all the frikking time with really gay 'you can do it' messages.

The Champix worked that well for me that I didnt need anything else except a little willpower!

yeah Champix worked a treat for me. I was a pack a day for 25 yrs and after taking champix it was like i'd never smoked. Have been off the pills for 6 months + now and while i get the odd craving its easily dismissed with you guessed it... a little willpower!