• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Varenicline (Champix) - Does it work?

Best stuff ever. I smoked a pack a day for 12 years and with Champix I have now been smoke free for 18 months.

That's it. I'm in.

Well worth it. I have 3 other mates that quit with it as well :)

For the sake of $60 (not even a weeks worth of smokes) whilst its subsidised by the government, you'd be crazy not to give it a go.

Without the current government subsidy the cost of Champix is in the hundreds.

and, hoptis, still off the smokes?

I didn't finish the first course, it got me almost completely off the cigarettes at the time but I wasn't in the right frame of mind to be dealing with the side-effects.

Well worth it. I have 3 other mates that quit with it as well :)

For the sake of $60 (not even a weeks worth of smokes) whilst its subsidised by the government, you'd be crazy not to give it a go.

Without the current government subsidy the cost of Champix is in the hundreds.

I've got a healthcare card atm too, so might even get it cheaper

Sound worse imho

Don't bag it till you have tried it.

Anecdotal evidence suggests that bupropion substitutes for stimulants quite well.

IMHO it works.

PBS notes:
Only one course of PBS-subsidised bupropion hydrochloride will be authorised per 12 months. The period between commencing a course of bupropion hydrochloride and varenicline tartrate must be at least 6 months. A course of treatment with bupropion hydrochloride is 9 weeks. No increased maximum quantities or repeats will be authorised. Clinical review is recommended within 2 to 3 weeks of the original prescription being requested.

Commencement of short-term, sole PBS-subsidised, therapy as an aid to achieving abstinence in a patient who has indicated they are ready to cease smoking and:

(a) who has entered a comprehensive support and counselling program; or

(b) who is entering a comprehensive support and counselling program during the consultation at which this authority is requested.

Details of the program must be specified in the authority application.

I know which one I would be using ;)

Just basing it on the Wiki entry, compared to the entry on Champix, not knocking it just saying it sounds worse.

Does anyone know whether a doctor is likely to prescribe Champix in conjunction with Xanax to take the edge off the psychological side effects of this drug? I'm going to hit my doctor up and see what he says, just wondering if anyone has tried it and whether its worth it.

I didnt get any phsycological effects at all apart from vivid dreams.. I'm sure some people do but you are assuming you will need xanax when in all probability you wont. I cant see a Dr writing a script for xanax just in case.

Cool, I guess its something to discuss with my doc if and when I experience any problems.

Was reading the PBS leaflet quoted above, does anyone have any experience with th required counselling? What would it involve?

^Basically your doctor must talk to you about counseling. You either take it or leave it.
You can have up to 12 sessions for free, and then a reassessment.
Do they help? Yes.
Bloody good set up if you ask me. Australia is a great country.

^Basically your doctor must talk to you about counseling. You either take it or leave it.
You can have up to 12 sessions for free, and then a reassessment.
Do they help? Yes.
Bloody good set up if you ask me. Australia is a great country.

Agreed. You should go and tell some to the americans in the politics forum, they just don't seem to get it.

this discussion really points out the holistic approach that you have to take after a long period of skohing or indeed any drug use. By itself medication is helpful but not as affective as when combined with counselling as well.

I think it pays to be mindful of when youre smoking /substance use got worse and if it is stress look at skilling up youre coping mechanisms, rather than fall into aold habits.

I started champix about four weeks ago to assist me to give up pack a day and it seems to be working, i ve had only a few smokes in the last few weeks. I am getting a fair amount f queasyness for about half an hour after i take it but have found that eating soon after has helped.

Also i have found some cognitive and mood differences in since starting........ Always remember after a main effect is a side effect. By my estimation better to give my bady a chance to recover now with some queasiness rather than risk cancer later

champix now have been ordered to have a label: Warning suicide may be a side effect

Im setting that as my bench mark for stopping :) compared to that nausea i can deal with :)

this discussion really points out the holistic approach that you have to take after a long period of skohing or indeed any drug use. By itself medication is helpful but not as affective as when combined with counselling as well.

I think it pays to be mindful of when youre smoking /substance use got worse and if it is stress look at skilling up youre coping mechanisms, rather than fall into aold habits.

I started champix about four weeks ago to assist me to give up pack a day and it seems to be working, i ve had only a few smokes in the last few weeks. I am getting a fair amount f queasyness for about half an hour after i take it but have found that eating soon after has helped.

Also i have found some cognitive and mood differences in since starting........ Always remember after a main effect is a side effect. By my estimation better to give my bady a chance to recover now with some queasiness rather than risk cancer later

That's the logic I'm working on re: psychological/mood side effects

Just as an update, I didn't end up using Champix, although a friend of mine did and swears by it.

For me, it was two 7mg lines of MDPV three hours apart and an epic night of enlightenment and self realisation (while smoking like a chimney), followed by an equally epic comedown the next day. I decided on the night that I would stop smoking the next morning. Cold Turkey. I haven't had a smoke since, no cravings, no desires, nothing at all.

Last edited:
Just as an update, I didn't end up using Champix, although a friend of mine did and swears by it.

For me, it was two 70mg lines of MDPV three hours apart and an epic night of enlightenment and self realisation (while smoking like a chimney), followed by an equally epic comedown the next day. I decided on the night that I would stop smoking the next morning. Cold Turkey. I haven't had a smoke since, no cravings, no desires, nothing at all.

70mg of MDPV?! wtf?! for a drug thats active at 5mg, and hell at 15mg, WHAT THE FUCK?! not even my tolerance that high! geewhiz!

i must of been the only person who got constipated from this stuff. for 2 goddamn weeks i couldnt shit, needed some desoxypipradrol ( it makes me shit non stop for the first 3 hours ) to clean myself out. (yeah i know i coulda just had a whatitmacalled... but,.... )