Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: New Scientist - 11/2/09 'Ecstasy's long-term effects revealed'

Amblin

Bluelighter
Ecstasy's long-term effects revealed

* 11 February 2009 by Graham Lawton
* Magazine issue 2695. Subscribe and get 4 free issues.
* For similar stories, visit the Drugs and Alcohol Topic Guide

THEY called it the second summer of love. Twenty years ago, young people all over the world donned T-shirts emblazoned with smiley faces and danced all night, fuelled by a molecule called MDMA. Most of these clubbers have since given up ecstasy and are sliding into middle age. The question is, has ecstasy given up on them?

Enough time has finally elapsed to start asking if ecstasy damages health in the long term. According to the biggest review ever undertaken, it causes slight memory difficulties and mild depression, but these rarely translate into problems in the real world. While smaller studies show that some individuals have bigger problems, including weakened immunity and larger memory deficits, so far, for most people, ecstasy seems to be nowhere near as harmful over time as you may have been led to believe.

The review was carried out by the UK Advisory Council on the Misuse of Drugs (ACMD), an independent body that advises the UK government on drug policy. Its headline recommendation is that, based on its harmfulness to individuals and society, MDMA should be downgraded from a class A drug - on a par with heroin and cocaine - to class B, alongside cannabis.

Read the full report

Nobody is arguing that taking ecstasy is risk-free: its short-term effects are fairly uncontroversial. MDMA is toxic, though not powerfully so - an average person would need to take around 20 or 30 tablets to reach a lethal dose. And for a small fraction of people, even small amounts of ecstasy can kill. For example, around half a million people take ecstasy every year in England and Wales, and 30 die from the acute effects, mostly overheating or water intoxication.

What has been unclear, however, is whether ecstasy use causes long-term health problems and if so, how much you would need to take to be at risk.

In animal studies the drug has been shown to inflict lasting damage to the brain's serotonin system, which is involved in mood and cognition. Imaging studies have found signs of similar damage in human users, but there are debates over whether this is caused by ecstasy use and whether the damage has any real-life consequences.

The ACMD based their review largely on a study they commissioned from Gabriel Rogers and Ruth Garside of the Peninsula Medical School in Exeter, UK. They pulled together all the research from around the world that attempted to assess the health of people who have taken ecstasy, and reanalysed the data from the 110 studies that dealt with long-term effects.

They found that compared with non-users, people who took even a small amount of ecstasy at some point consistently performed worse on psychometric tests, which measure mental performance, especially memory, attention, and executive function, which includes decision-making and planning.

The most pronounced effects are on memory, mainly verbal and working memory. While the ability to plan is somewhat affected, other aspects of executive function are not. Focused attention - the ability to zoom in quickly on a new task - suffers too, though sustained attention does not.

It is a similar story with depression. "There's a small but measurable effect," says Rogers.

These effects appear not just in current users but also in ex-users who haven't touched the drug for at least six months, suggesting that the problems are long-lasting. Strangely, there seems to be no link between the quantity taken and the severity of cognitive problems, suggesting that even a few doses can lead to these deficits.

Superficially, this adds up to a pretty depressing outlook for the e-generation, especially those who dabbled years ago but have since quit. Not so, says Rogers. Subtle differences in lab tests do not necessarily translate into real-life problems: "They're statistically significant, but whether they are clinically significant is another matter."
Subtle differences on lab tests do not necessarily translate into problems in real life

For example, there is little evidence that people are actually affected by the memory and attention deficits picked up in the lab tests. "They don't seem to be very big and it is not clear that they have much effect on day-to-day functioning," he says.

Meanwhile, people who have taken ecstasy are, on average, still within the normal bounds on standard depression tests. Although they score worse than people who haven't taken ecstasy, the scores aren't bad enough to warrant a diagnosis from a doctor. "There's no indication that they are drifting out of normal functioning," says Rogers.

He also warns that his results need to be taken with a pinch of salt because most studies are based on self-reports of ecstasy use, often combined with other drugs and alcohol, from people who have volunteered to take part. These confounding factors make it impossible to determine whether you have a representative sample of users, whether people's reported use correlates with how much they actually took and what effects can be blamed on MDMA.

Psychopharmacologist Val Curran of University College London says Roger's analysis "is about the best you can make of the overall mishmash". She agrees with his conclusion that on average there seems to be no evidence of any meaningful effects on daily life.

Others have a different take on it. Andrew Parrot of the University of Swansea, UK, who has been studying the health of ecstasy users since the mid-1990s says: "We see users who have taken bucket-loads and they have very severe problems." These include memory deficits, sleep disturbances, depression, weakened immunity and sexual dysfunction, he says.

Based on his own studies, he believes that almost everyone who has taken 20 tablets in total, or more, reports niggling problems in daily life. "All fairly minor on their own, but you're ending up with someone who is not as healthy as they ought to be," he says.

Rogers admits that because he took averages of such large numbers of users, his analysis may have "ironed out" some of the effects Parrot describes.

Parrot also calls ecstasy a "gateway" drug. "Former users are often heavy users of alcohol, tobacco and cannabis. When you move off ecstasy, you look for other drugs. Ecstasy use leads to other, more problematic drugs."

Despite this, however, results from the first "prospective" studies are more encouraging. These studies follow a group of people over many years and watch the effects of ecstasy unfold over time. Crucially, they are more reliable than "retrospective" studies because they don't rely on people remembering what they did in the past.

In 2002 a group in the Netherlands recruited 188 young people who had never taken ecstasy but were likely to in the future. When they retested them on a battery of psychometric tests three years later, 58 said they had taken ecstasy at least once, giving the researchers an opportunity to compare cognitive performance before and after ecstasy.

They found that on all the tests except for verbal memory, ecstasy users performed just as well as before, and on a par with abstainers (Archives of General Psychiatry, vol 64, p 728). The results chime with Rogers's conclusions: because the effect was so small - a difference of a quarter of a word on average from a list of 15 - the real world implications are questionable. Brain imaging revealed no changes to the serotonin system, although there were signs of damage to white matter and blood vessels. The practical significance of this is not yet known (Brain, DOI: 10.1093/brain/awn255).
On all the tests except those for verbal memory, ecstasy users performed on a par with abstainers

Rogers cautions that it is too soon to give ecstasy the all-clear in the long term, not least because some effects on health might simply kick in even later. "It's possible that ecstasy has horrific consequences later in life. Only time will tell."
The low-down on ecstasy

* Ecstasy usually refers to a compound called MDMA or 3,4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine.
* MDMA was first synthesised by German firm Merck in the early 20th century but only started to be used as a recreational drug in the 1980s.
* There are around 450,000 regular users in the US; half a million people take it each year in the UK. A seriously heavy user might take up to 40,000 tablets in a lifetime.
* Drug dealers originally wanted to call MDMA "empathy" because of the powerful feelings of "loved up" warmth it induces. MDMA is also a stimulant and a mild psychedelic.
* Recent research suggests that most ecstasy pills on the market contain MDMA as their only active ingredient. Toxic impurities are often said to be common, but there is very little evidence that this is the case.
* Most of the ecstasy on the market is in pill form, with each pill containing around 40 milligrams of MDMA. But very pure MDMA powder accounts for around 30 per cent of drugs seized, which is worrying because of the potential for taking very large doses.
* A single ecstasy tablet used to cost £15. Now they cost just £2.30.

LINK

Average of only only 40mg :(

Thanks for posting that Amblin. :)

Keep in mind the 40mg is an average of seized pills in the UK.

Yeah there's a bit of discussion on the quality of this "research" on the ED board.. after noticing this quote at the end of the article:

* Recent research suggests that most ecstasy pills on the market contain MDMA as their only active ingredient. Toxic impurities are often said to be common, but there is very little evidence that this is the case.

Thanks for the updating the title, I realised afterwards that there seemed to be an unofficial template.

Very true, also I don't know how true the quote above is for Australia.

Last edited:
"The most pronounced effects are on memory, mainly verbal and working memory"

Could this be why I've developed a stutter, and sometimes have problems speaking and putting my thoughts into words since I've started taking ecstasy 2 years ago?

^ I doubt it.

I've found that I both think and talk better when i'm currently reading a good book (at night) . I think it exercises the brain, improves vocabulary etc and often I surprise myself with the shit that comes out of my mouth. It could simply be that since you've started taking ecstasy and partying more you've become a bit 'lazy' in the brain department. no idea about the stuttering tho...

I laughed at one of the References:

Anonymous (2001) Confessions of a middle-aged ecstasy eater. Granta 74

Could this be why I've developed a stutter, and sometimes have problems speaking and putting my thoughts into words since I've started taking ecstasy 2 years ago?

Definitely possible. How often do you take it? What you've described is how I am the week after I take pills.

Ecstasy is not as harmless as a lot of regular users claim it is. People notice they're a bit slow or stutter or forget what they were going to say briefly, especially in the few days or a week after they take pills, but think that as long as it goes away there's no problem. Then they pop every month, then every fortnight and it never really goes away because they're taking pills every fortnight...but they don't want to think it's the pills so they blame it on something else and it continues.

Ecstasy's effects on cognitive functioning are pretty strong in my experience. Stronger than anything else really. I won't do any academic work for the week after I take pills because I know I'm just not as sharp during that time.

I think expothead may be right. Since I finished my schooling 3 years ago I feel like I'm getting dumber. Just not exercising my brain I suppose.

its like anything ... use it or lose it ...

E does kill brain cells .... so after a binge expect to be retarded for a week or so .. lol

I used to pop up to 10-15 pills a weekend for years .....and we are talking high mdxx pills and I can say the effects I experienced were depression , anger , memory loss , confusion , and i can recall one time the next morning after a binge when I woke up and went to get a glass of water I could not drink it as I kept getting shakes/tremors and could not hold glass still to my mouth & scared me a bit but it went away couple hrs later.I spoke to a mate whos a doc and he said that was my central nervous system saying take a break , he also said people die from this so was a wake up call.

Pills are fun but are doing more damage than you can feel ... It can take many months for your brain chemistry to come back to normal and in some people it never does.

Pop once a month and leave it at that .... otherwise you will fry your receptors like I did and you will lose the magic of mdxx super fast.It can take months before your receptors are working properly again and during this time you will be going crazy.If you already have mental problems then using any drugs can have bad outcome.

One thing i can say is no matter what pills I take now or how many that the jaw clenching or grinding and sore teeth are long gone for some reason I only had those symptoms for the first couple years of popping.

Nutrition plays a big part in this as well so if your healthy and eat good foods and after a binge take the vitamins or detox or whatever just to help your body flush the toxins is important.

People like to abuse pills and its sort of a ego thing to say oh yeah i popped 5 or 10 pills over the weekend but really your fucking stupid ...

Do as i say not as I do ... :)

Last edited:
I'm in the same category as WILDSTRAWBERRIES. Very annoying. I've probably been taking them once (but binging) every few months for a few years. Wouldn't have thought it'd have an impact...but maybe?

Pretty funny how mild the long term effects are according to this study. I don't know though, it seems to me there are a fair few people out there with serious memory and learning problems I would attribute to their e use, that said, I'm no scientist.

Pretty funny how mild the long term effects are according to this study. I don't know though, it seems to me there are a fair few people out there with serious memory and learning problems I would attribute to their e use, that said, I'm no scientist.

They should snag a large number of people who don't use any drugs (including alcohol) and see how many have noticed a dumbing down of their abilities over the least 5-10 years.

Recent research suggests that most ecstasy pills on the market contain MDMA as their only active ingredient. Toxic impurities are often said to be common, but there is very little evidence that this is the case.
This is the same for Australia. The idea that a large proportion of pills contain things other than MDMA is a complete fallacy. The police continue to make the claim that a large proportion or even a majority of tablets sold as ecstasy do not contain MDMA, but the results of seizures that I have been made aware of show otherwise. The proportion of pills which are MDMA only is far greater than in the early 2000's, but of those that are, the average dosage is definitely much less than it used to be.

I believe this to be true

I can no longer roll weekend after weekend because i develope a slight stutter and have difficulty putting sentences together, usually mon-wed is bad and then i come good again over a few more days.

This was profound in 05-07 when i would take a minimum of 6 pills per weekend and was averaging around 10.

I noticed when i was trying to explain things for jobs at work i just couldn't think of, or find the words to describe parts and would stumble or stutter on some words.

Once my use dropped from weekly to bi-weekly it was definately less common and these days i might dose in the 10-12 pill range over a weekend only every 4-6 weeks so it no longer effects me.

I can only put it down to high doses of MDMA or a similar impurity in every different press of ecstasy i took over a period of years (highly doubtful)

even Grandpa MDMA recommended only 3-4 servings per year!

the recent studies showing MDMA to be safer than previous understandings are all based on therapeutic doses. Now wonder people are experiencing brain malfunctioning stutters when necking ludicrous amounts of pills in one sitting......toxic wonderland right there!

I have never understood why some do this - we all know the mechanism of MDMA yet people are willing to keep dropping, only to receive in the end amphet like stimulation but in turn allowing serious degeneration of the serotonergic nerve terminals!

Biscuit - any references you can provide to back up the "MDMA only" claim? would be interesting to compare against the likes of US pill testing which show the opposite!

i kno a girl that was taking x and she ended up crazy with schizophrenia...but i think the x just triggered the schizophrenia to happen sooner

i don’t like to feel I have succumb to myths and such i am really am cautious with psychedelic’s and stimulants. I use weed every two weeks or so max but I have no idea if this is doing any damage. I always think its making me dumber something to fear (currently at uni) and since I tried lsd I have felt a different mind shift.

Whether this is placebo effect or not I don’t know. Ironically the one I am least worried about, is the most addictive oxycodone lol.

Read my New Scientist this morning, I think the most concerning fact stated (and nobody has yet mentioned it here) is that though long term effects were not that detrimental to living they were still apparent in cases of moderate and mild users, people who had taken a total of less than 20 pills, which it appears some of you are taking every fortnight. It should also be noted that they referred (in the box down the bottom of the page) to UK pills with an average of 40mg, and sold for about a fifth of the comparative Australian price - I wouldn't be surprised if in Australia they are somewhat more potent, and are as we know often adulterated with Meth which is far more toxic.

If allready experiencing a stutter I would cease use cold turkey, before I became the dero who talkes gibberish at people on trains.

^ good point there moderateuser - there's a stack of research out there that indicates a high toxicity potential when combining MDMA with methamphetamine!

and about the deros - just imagine how simple life would be if you spent your days laughing at lettuces!!!

mmmm i have been concidering getting off the weed laterly. terrible timing though my circle have only just started using it. oxy leaves my mind alone only apparently it can cause impotence i imagine would suck some serious balls