Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: News.com.au - 8/2/09 Ecstasy 'no worse than horse riding'

tank3d

Greenlighter
TAKING the synthetic drug ecstasy, which is derived from amphetamine, is no more dangerous than horse riding, Britain's top drug adviser said today.

According to Professor David Nutt, chairman of the Home Office's Advisory Council on the Misuse of Drugs (ACMD), "equasy" - addiction to horse riding - causes 10 deaths and more than 100 road traffic deaths annually.

Fatalities linked to ecstasy use total around 30 per year.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574,25024018-23109,00.html

Long time reader!
First post hope it worked..

Ecstasy 'no worse than horse riding'
Agence France-Presse
February 08, 2009 07:24am

TAKING the synthetic drug ecstasy, which is derived from amphetamine, is no more dangerous than horse riding, Britain's top drug adviser said today.
According to Professor David Nutt, chairman of the Home Office's Advisory Council on the Misuse of Drugs (ACMD), "equasy" - addiction to horse riding - causes 10 deaths and more than 100 road traffic deaths annually.

The ACMD, however, insisted that his remarks were made as an academic and not in his position as head of the interior ministry's drug advisory group.

Prof Nutt's remarks come ahead of an expected decision by the ACMD to recommend that ecstasy be downgraded in Britain from Class A, representing the most harmful drugs, to the less dangerous Class B rating, a move the government opposes.

"The point was to get people to understand that drug harm can be equal to harms in other parts of life," Prof Nutt wrote in an article in the latest edition of the Journal of Psychopharmacology.

"There is not much difference between horse riding and ecstasy."

Prof Nutt added: "This attitude raises the critical question of why society tolerates - indeed encourages - certain forms of potentially harmful behaviour but not others such as drug use."

A spokesman for the ACMD, meanwhile, said: "The recent article by Professor David Nutt published in the Journal of Psychopharmacology was done in respect of his academic work and not as chair of the ACMD.

"Professor Nutt's academic work does not prejudice that which he conducts as chair of the ACMD."

News.com.au

Full text rom the article. :)

pretty misleading title.. just because one thing kills more then another does not automatically make it more dangerous- horse riding doesnt interfere with precioius brain chemicals and genetic make ups etc.

btw im not against ecstasy but IMO this is a pretty stupid article

So if you ride a horse to often you suffer from bad depression, anxiety and suicidal thoughts? I think the doctors name sums up what I think about him.

Very stupid article however it gave me a laugh.

I rode horses all through my childhood and only had one serious injury from it. (fell off and got kicked in the face)

Taken ecstasy for about 7 years now. Only had one incident right at the start where I suspect from the symptoms I may have had PMA.

... horse riding doesnt interfere with precioius brain chemicals and genetic make ups etc...

not so sure about that! i've met some horsey people before and I'm pretty sure there was something weird going on in their head! ;)

pretty misleading title.. just because one thing kills more then another does not automatically make it more dangerous- horse riding doesnt interfere with precioius brain chemicals and genetic make ups etc.

btw im not against ecstasy but IMO this is a pretty stupid article

Since when does MDMA have anything to do with genetics?

Does "linked" mean that MDMA solely wasn't the cause of death? :\

Aren't most of the dangers of ecstasy when you take a pill when you have no idea whats in it? Or taking it with something else, not MDMA alone?

Statistics are bullshit, 80% of people know that :)

I think alot of MDMA deaths are a result of polydrug use. Using more than one substance alongside MDMA can cause alot of issues, and i think alot of deaths stem from this.

I've read it somewhere, dont have the sources on hand.

well thats been known for a while, dancesafe have had a table showing different fatalities and has MDMA as less harmful than skydiving !!!!!!

ahhhh.......just like a governemtn to not take fact into account, but while saying that, it is likely that the Criminalisation has something to do with that

going by what the government has done in the past I wouldn't be surpised if they read this article and then banned riding horses

That is street grade ecstasy as well. If we had pharmaceutical grade product the risks would be greatly reduced.

I think his point is very much valid, all activities carry risks. Ecstasy carries a risk that is many times smaller than many accepted recreational activities, so it can't be prohibited based solely on reasons of safety.

Over the years i have lost 1 friend to horse riding, 4 to motorbikes (1 alcohol related, 2 hit by cars, 1 hit by a falling tree), 3 to cars (1 alcohol related, 1 marijuana related, 1 lack of defensive driving training), 3 to suicide and 1 as a result of an unsafe workplace.

Never have i lost a friend to illegal drugs

Most of my friends and work mates drop ecstasy on a weekly basis

A high percentage of these take other drugs before or while rolling

Years ago when it was mainly heavy boozing there were constantly fights to deal with, pissed off gf's, drunk and dissorderly lock ups every weekend, people trying to drive drunk, looking after passed out spewy drunks I COULD GO ON AND ON

Ecstasy lead to safer, happier and more responsible partying with a degree of respect for all around you, i don't see this on legal drugs/activities that have killed my mates? WTF?

Illegal or not i will continue to use MDMA, for all the benefits i see, far outwiegh any negative effects i have had to deal with (namely adulterated pills).

We're a large circle of friends who drop MDMA more times than we horse ride, drive cars, ride bikes etc and which one is illegal?

Illegal or not i will continue to use MDMA, for all the benefits i see, far outwiegh any negative effects i have had to deal with (namely adulterated pills).

I like that quote, thats going to be my quote of the month, (last months food of the month was watermelon, this months food is seared chicked burgers from maccas)

I have a copy of the pdf (fulltext) of the article. It's actually easy reading... for the Journal of Psychopharmacology, which can get scientifically heavy going. PM me for a copy.