Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

The 'Harm Reduction' party

expothead

Bluelighter
I've started this thread in response to Jakepersons suggestion in another thread that we, as educated drug users, should bandy together and 'make a difference' politically. It's something that i've pondered as well lately but just dismissed as a stoned thought.

Is this really viable? Are there really enough of us to make a difference? Is it a good idea regardless? Are there other political avenues we should pursue?

I remember in the 70's the Australian Marijuana Party gave it a whirl (did anyone read A Dozen Dopey Yarns - I found it in a 2nd hand shop when I was 15), but it all came to nothing as far as I can tell. NORML is still around of course, but i'm more interested in a broader representation.

I guess the biggest trouble is the mainstream press love to 'ridicule' drug users and such a party would have trouble being taken seriously. But then again, there's Gun parties and God parties so why not a Drug party.

Or should we just vote for the Greens instead...

All I know is getting one article in a newspaper supporting our cause and helping spread the real information on drugs, once major media heard about it, it would become national headlines. Massive publicity right there.

Even though we'd be ridiculed by the major media, it might just make every one stoned at home wishing pot was legal get involved.

I've often thought about trying to make whole cities aware of this site and mainly our HR purposes...

Now I am a student who studies Marketing and have always thought that it would be a good project/assignment to try and make a majority of a city realize about this site and about the HR of drugs and what dangers they hold.

Now when I am off holidays and back in study mode I will probably come back to this thread and start a little project, HR is something that I strongly believe in and feel that not many people are aware of HR.

Now I thought maybe running around the city and sticking up poster in the drug prone areas of the city would not hurt and maybe even on radio/TV/newspaper building to get their attention and maybe some PR/Publicity effects...

I've also thought about maybe getting some lads to put up "BLUELIGHT" when they go out painting or something, or even putting up fake adds in newspapers about seeking drug takers for assessments and put this website to refer too, then when they get here they will explore and learn the site.

A lot of these things would gain a lot of media attention which is something that could be both a bad thing and a good thing which in the end is once again publicity...

Hmmm this little project is starting to sound very interesting... I feel I will have to ask my teacher if I can do it as an assignment, this will be fun and may make a difference. This will be happening in Brisbane city so if there are any other Marketing students in other cities I think you may want to look into this as well, we could do it as a team project and get high marks lol.

:( i thought this was abouit a rave party called "harm reduction" LOL

I don't know that making bluelight massively public will neccessarily do much for the cause as far as changing public perception, however, it may save a few lives of ignorant drug users who become aware of its existence and learn something from it.
I don't know how to get the message of harm reduction across to the general public, I really don't its something I have spent a fair bit of time considering and really, they are pretty set in their view(s).
I am very open to suggestion though and would be more than willing to contribute my time to helping the cause should someone come up with some worthy suggestions.

^ haha so did i.

the political representation is a good idea but there are massive logistical problems (not to mention electoral and media criticism) that i think would be to hard to overcome

Whoops so it was about a party aye, my bad... Maybe I should start a thread just about what I was talking about. What do you guys think?

^ haha so did i.

the political representation is a good idea but there are massive logistical problems (not to mention electoral and media criticism) that i think would be to hard to overcome

Media criticism could be the fuel your average stoner needs to get motivated to help.

And the best way to over come the government is to tell the public the truth and get across the message that they lie about everything else, why not this.

TV Adds with drug fact and myths would be great for HR and showing some of the less ignorant people that they aren't so bad.

Also getting across the average drug user. The one who doesn't ruin his life or turn into a junkie. The story of the average drug user that could be one of their friends. The reason people only believe bad of drug users is because they never hear the story of the guy who did drugs, lived a normal life and lived happily ever after.

I've often thought about trying to make whole cities aware of this site and mainly our HR purposes...

Now I am a student who studies Marketing and have always thought that it would be a good project/assignment to try and make a majority of a city realize about this site and about the HR of drugs and what dangers they hold.

Now when I am off holidays and back in study mode I will probably come back to this thread and start a little project, HR is something that I strongly believe in and feel that not many people are aware of HR.

Now I thought maybe running around the city and sticking up poster in the drug prone areas of the city would not hurt and maybe even on radio/TV/newspaper building to get their attention and maybe some PR/Publicity effects...

I've also thought about maybe getting some lads to put up "BLUELIGHT" when they go out painting or something, or even putting up fake adds in newspapers about seeking drug takers for assessments and put this website to refer too, then when they get here they will explore and learn the site.

A lot of these things would gain a lot of media attention which is something that could be both a bad thing and a good thing which in the end is once again publicity...

Hmmm this little project is starting to sound very interesting... I feel I will have to ask my teacher if I can do it as an assignment, this will be fun and may make a difference. This will be happening in Brisbane city so if there are any other Marketing students in other cities I think you may want to look into this as well, we could do it as a team project and get high marks lol.

Sorry to be the kill joy, as usual, but just remember that as a member of the site you are bound by the Bluelight User Agreement (BLUA), in particular, point 7 of the prohibited use that states you may not 'act as an official representative of Bluelight to the press;'. Obviously, if you were serious about going down this path, then I have no doubt you would speak to the appropriate members of staff. :)

I would be interested in being part of a Harm Reduction party... I'm a bit young to run for a seat perhaps though. I'd be willing to help out a Brisbane chapter of the party though. :D

What would the policies be exactly? I think pushing for more research into drugs and their use would be a good start. Promoting an inquiry into current drug laws and their effects on the supply of drugs and the effects the laws have on the end user. Looking into what the consequences of re-scheduling many substances would be, and what would be viable in terms of making drugs less restricted. I'm thinking, looking at what drugs would be able to be more accessible to the public and which ones still have too many dangers but would be better suited to being Rx'd to current users/addicts.

There are several state based organisations that represent mostly IV users, like VIVAIDS in Victoria. Rafesafe is part of this I think. If you want to start somewhere, try them. They've been doing a fantastic job of advocating on our behalf to government departments and educating people on how to stay safe for years.
There is also groups like Friends and Family For Drug Law Reform.
The struggle for drug law reform is no different to the other civil rights campaigns like gay rights or gender equality. It's going to take brave people to stand up demand whats right.

Maybe a good starting point would be a university club / society? Good place to get like-minded individuals with lots of spare time on their hands involved?

I remember when I was in uni some guy running for a local seat named Nigel Freemarijuana. He had helped organise a hemp appreciation society or something similar at UQ in Brissy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HEMP_Party <--- there we go.

start small with something like decriminilisation of personal amounts. get in too deep and no one will vote for you. baby steps

snus is up their with the most addictive things i've tried. a friend gave me a container of general portion and when i was done with it i wanted more :(. im not a smoker so it was interesting to see the amazing addictive effects of nicotine. snus is a good alternative to smoking but it still has many harmful side effects....

belarki said:
I remember when I was in uni some guy running for a local seat named Nigel Freemarijuana. He had helped organise a hemp appreciation society or something similar at UQ in Brissy.

He went to my high school, ha ha. Years before I was there I guess. Though you wouldn't have known it, no one at my school did drugs or cared much about them really.

Unfortunately, i think it is going to take decades of near social collapse as a result of the illicit drug trade (see Mexico) for any establishment to realise that prohibition is a complete farce.

Some figures in the US are slowly recognising the ills of the "War on Drugs", but i fear that the opinions of these people will be snuffed out by a minority of loud mouthed, ill informed politicians who have little grasp on the issue at hand.

Sad times indeed.