Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Nurofen + tablets to be cut from 32 to 18 in the UK

DJ25

Bluelighter
Page last updated at 07:57 GMT, Wednesday, 21 January 2009
E-mail this to a friend Printable version
Restrictions urged on painkillers

There is little hard evidence as to how many are 'addicted' to painkillers
Painkillers containing codeine should be sold in smaller packets and available only after consultation, a parliamentary report has recommended.
The cross-party inquiry into painkiller dependency said drugs such as Nurofen Plus and Solpadeine Plus should come with a warning about addiction risks.
Any advertising of this class of painkiller should stop, it recommended.
The report also urged better monitoring of patients on prescription painkillers and anti-depressants - and their GPs.
The Department of Health needed to set up procedures to ensure that GPs were not prescribing opiates and tranquilisers without good cause, the All Party Parliamentary Drug Misuse Group concluded after a year-long inquiry.
Pharmacists should be encouraged to report GPs who appeared to be prescribing outside of guidelines to the local Primary Care Trust.
Fewer tablets
The group conceded there was a lack of information about the scale of addiction to either prescription-only or over-the-counter drugs, and said the Department of Health should start collecting these figures.

A further pack size reduction to 18 tablets would cause inconvenience and have no effect on addiction
Sheila Kelly
PAGB
But it did say it had heard from individuals who had taken anti-anxiety medication for 30 years, despite guidance that it should not be prescribed for longer than four weeks at a time.
Concerns have been raised in recent years about the number of people regularly taking drugs containing codeine, an effective analgesic which is combined with other painkillers such as paracetamol, ibruprofen or aspirin for over-the-counter sale.
Withdrawal after prolonged-use can result in flu-like symptoms, with joint pain and restlessness. In many countries, including the US, it is banned in non-prescription drugs.
Dr Brian Iddon, the MP who chaired the group said he was "shocked by evidence that a considerable number of people in the UK are addicted to over-the-counter products containing codeine.
"The issue cannot be ignored any longer. We must establish the scale of the problem and provide proper diagnosis and treatment for those affected."
The inquiry wanted to see a reduction in the size of packets - which can currently contain up to 32 tablets - to 18 and said that they should only be available after consultation with the pharmacist about the problem.
The Proprietary Association of Great Britain, which represents manufacturers of over-the-counter medicines, stressed drugs containing codeine were very effective in treating pain, and that much of the information available on addiction was anecdotal.

Misuse of medicines is difficult to control, especially when customers can go from pharmacy to pharmacy to make purchases
Royal Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain
"The PAGB is happy to discuss whether the warnings can be improved, but believes a further pack size reduction to 18 tablets would cause inconvenience and have no effect on addiction," said chief executive Sheila Kelly.
There is no legal restriction in any event on the number of packets a single person can buy, the PAGB added, and noted that they already carried warnings about the risk of addiction.
David Pruce, director of policy at the Royal Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain, said pharmacists were working hard to spot the abuse of painkillers.
"However, misuse of medicines is difficult to control, especially when customers can go from pharmacy to pharmacy to make purchases," he said.
"Systems to share information on local patterns of misuse should be developed, involving all health professionals to help the situation."
The charity DrugScope, which helped with the inquiry, said it hoped "the report will be the catalyst for much greater awareness of the potential harms that prescription and over-the-counter drugs can cause".
Other recommendations in the report included making all information from clinical trials available - including those which are abandoned - amid concerns that drug companies only publish favourable data.

Link http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7840333.stm

ha now maybe europeans will suffer tha pain americans endure with no OTC codeine. what a shame.

^^ You don't get codeine OTC!

I had no idea, down here we get 96x12.8mg tablets for about US$12.

Bastard Nanny State. First they limit the number of Ibufrofen and Paracetemol tablets you can buy... now they are taking away the ability to get CoCodamol and Nurofen Plus.

I wonder how long you have to be taking 8mg (or 12.8mg) of Codeine before you become physically addicted?

Bastard Nanny State. First they limit the number of Ibufrofen and Paracetemol tablets you can buy... now they are taking away the ability to get CoCodamol and Nurofen Plus.

I wonder how long you have to be taking 8mg (or 12.8mg) of Codeine before you become physically addicted?

It's not so much that 12.8mg etc is addictive (well it is) it's that idiot's (well people who do not care for the grams of ibuprofen they ingest to become addicted) keep consuming the tabs when they could just as easily get them from the GP. I mean these people who are addicted to N+ ingest insane amounts, amounts which they would not consume with paracteamol ironically enough :\

I know that Ibuprofen is less harmful gram for gram, it's funny how these people seem to know that it is less harmful and continue to damage they're bodies with it.

They may not know about CWE, but I did when I wanted to get more codeine from pills and a well know web site that helps people with OTC pain pill addiction points people to bluelight and such sites for information on how to do a CWE. To me it's pure ignorance.

+this sight was in the news for being pro drug! FFS!!!! This is really pissing me off.

Last edited: