• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Preserving Dreadlocks?

ramblin_man

Bluelighter
Is there anyway to preserve a dreadlock? One of my friends just got busted and he has to cut his dreads off. I was wondering if there was anyway to save a dread? I really want to rock a dread in his honor. This kid has seriously some of the best energy i've ever seen in my entire life, and it is really sad to see him go down. I was wondering if there was a way to like get the dread blown in some glass, or even a way to just not have them get bugs? I want to somehow sell parts of his dreads to raise lawyer money, cause i honestly know kids that would buy parts of this kids dreads, i just need a way to do it. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

This thread is totally epic and hilarious , I love you bro send some dreads and I'll western union you the grub :D

Cosmic Charlie- I've met one or two of you guys around, but seriously do you want some dreads, I seriously love my friend, and I know kids who would totally buy his dreads, that the best part, I just want to get him some cash for an attorney that would be cool! This is pretty redicoulous, but hey, can't hate a man for trying, to be a caring friend

This has to be the most crazy way to earn money ive ever heard of. Go to your local convenient store with a smile and ask for gratuity's :D Or move things around and try to win out in your favor. Do anything but try and sell dreadlocks , that will do nothing but turn stomach's :)

Cosmic Charlie- I've met one or two of you guys around, but seriously do you want some dreads, I seriously love my friend, and I know kids who would totally buy his dreads, that the best part, I just want to get him some cash for an attorney that would be cool! This is pretty redicoulous, but hey, can't hate a man for trying, to be a caring friend

Why would someone want another persons dreads?

Ew :(

I'm curious as to how old they are? One of my friends had dreads for 4 or 5 years. He was some sort of strange type of albino black guy so his dreads looked brunette (generally looked mixed). Anyway, when he cut off the dreads the middle of the hair was completely weird... like some sort of strange white-ish, gross mold or something. This guys was pretty damned hygienic FWIW. I know this is *really* gross but if that's the case in your friend's hair I would advise against selling it. :\

Getting a dread blown into glass would do nothing but melt the hair and leave burn marks and bubbles inside the glass. that stuff is usually around 2000 degrees, dude.

if you want it saved for real, just put the lock in a box. hair doesn't die (it's already dead) so there isn't much else that can destroy it.

but really, i doubt anyone would give money for that.

If you knew the energy this guy has, and how many lives he has positively changed, People would totally buy my guys locks, plus a good salesman can sell anything

seriously, i don't know anyone who would buy the hair of anyone else, regardless of their "energy level". leave that to creepy stalkers and hopeless tabloid heads.

Yep, blown glass wont work. You could use clear epoxy Glue though. You can buy it from a hardware store easy as, but dont put any of the filler powder or paste into, otherwise it wont stay clear and you wont be able to see it.

Why dont you curl one up and epoxy it into the bottom of a timber bowl or something? You can sand the epoxy with varying grades of garnet paper to get a smooth finish so that it looks good. And finish it off with steel wool and wax, then a brass polish to make it super smooth.

Depending how long they are, you could make a Staff like Wand to take to raves or something! :D

Wow Klue, that bowl idea is great!! Good work!
And kudos to you for providing the man with a serious answer =D

I won't take full credit Neo. I've seen the bowl trick done before with a green Pot Leaf. Its definitely the method to use though because there isnt much heat involved. You can melt a pour different coloured perspex to make cool things, but it would singe the fuck out of anything that you poured it onto.

Have you seen those gear stick knobs with spiders in them? Well, epoxy is marvelous stuff :)

I have some massive containers of it in my shed because I am building a boat with my dad at the moment. But you can buy little tubes of it if you wanted to experiment.

Research OP, Google is your friend. There is heaps of creative things you could do :)

My ex-bf asked for bits of my dreads when I was trimming them... I just gave him a little plastic bag with the bits in it. A bit weird, but hey, whatever. People gave their lovers locks of their hair in the old days. I wouldn't want to buy anybody's dreads, but I can imagine that some might. I'm sure pieces of Bob Marley's dreads would be worth their weight in gold today, if not more. So if this guy is some kind of local celebrity, it may just work. Good luck!

Anyway, when he cut off the dreads the middle of the hair was completely weird... like some sort of strange white-ish, gross mold or something. This guys was pretty damned hygienic FWIW.

A little white stuff in the middle is normal... it's residue from shampoo and hair products. An apple cider vinegar rinse removes and prevents this kind of build-up.

Klue- I don't understand what the whole timber bowl thing is, could you please explain more in depth? O yeah the staff idea is awesome!

If you knew the energy this guy has, and how many lives he has positively changed, People would totally buy my guys locks, plus a good salesman can sell anything

If this is the case then why don't you just take donations?

My ex-bf asked for bits of my dreads when I was trimming them... I just gave him a little plastic bag with the bits in it. A bit weird, but hey, whatever. People gave their lovers locks of their hair in the old days. I wouldn't want to buy anybody's dreads, but I can imagine that some might. I'm sure pieces of Bob Marley's dreads would be worth their weight in gold today, if not more. So if this guy is some kind of local celebrity, it may just work. Good luck!

A little white stuff in the middle is normal... it's residue from shampoo and hair products. An apple cider vinegar rinse removes and prevents this kind of build-up.

Thanks for clarifying that for me. Still kind of grosses me out though. ;)