Nutritional value of protein shakes

Kudos

Bluelighter
Specifically Cytogainer. I take this as a supplement after workouts but I'm curious as to how much of a viable meal-replacement it is. Every serving has about a 1/3 of the recommended daily intake for practically every vitamin, mineral and carbs. So would the only downside to consuming 3 of these instead of meals be the massive protein overdose?

its probably the worst possible idea you can do if you're trying to gain muscle mass.

Your body is designed to run on whole foods, complete foods, not derived foods like protein powder.

Protein powder is really good for after lifting to get a mega dose of protein in quick and easy (while you're walking out the gym sip on a protein shake). But, its not a meal replacement (despite what they may tell you on label).

You need to eat meat, rice, potatoes, bread, brocoli, green beans, yams, fish, nuts, milk, yogurt, cheese...that sort of stuff.

A good goal I shoot for is three solid meals during the day (a breakfast and two lunches) and then a big dinner at night (1 pound of meat, some low glycemic index carbs, and lots of fibrous veggies). And then a protein shake at night before bed (either with some cheese on the side or some peanut butter/oil in the shake to slow down the absorption of the protein). Also usually a protein shake sometime in the real early morning (like 6am or so I'll wake up stagger downstairs and consume it then go back to bed for an hour or so and then wake up and eat breakfast).

Don't be afraid to consume some grease and fat and crap with your food. Like eating at burgerking, for instance, is more ideal than not eating (or eating just a protein shake) if your goal is to get bigger/stronger.

You are never going to be strong drinking protein drinks and not eating good elsewhere.

....^^^what are you talking about dude, do you know what "protein powder" is? It's dried up milk for all intents and purposes, it's not like it's some synthesized crap made in a basement.

First off "post workout" is COMPLETELY overblown, do some research on the subject and you'll find protein synthesized is the exact same when complete proteins, aka whey, are taken either before or after the workout, but when free form amino acids are taken, protein synthesis is raised HIGHER when they're taken before the workout as opposed to after. So don't by the hype that Muscletech or whatever BS company wants you to think "slammin a protein shake" after the workout is cool.

I understand you're trying to say a diet is around the clock, it's not just drinking protein shakes, but to advise someone to eat the same diet as you is just misleading and wrong. My metabolism is fast enough that I need to eat around 6300 calories a day to slowly gain weight. You would probably be a fatass eating that much, and if I ate what you ate I'd probably be skin and bones.

To the OP, do a bit of research, find a few different calculators to get a GUESS at how much you should be eating to reach your goal of losing, maintaining, or gaining, and go from there. You're not going to OD on vits and mins, worry more about macros.

I'm interested in this more from the perspective of 'eating is a pain in the ass' then 'I don't want to get fat'. Suffice to say I could eat at Burger King six times a day and gain nothing but an acne problem.

Every serving has about a 1/3 of the recommended daily intake for practically every vitamin, mineral and carbs.

A carefully vitamin and mineral supplemented protein shake ('practically every vitamin' isn't the same thing as EVERY vitamin) isn't too bad as meal replacements go, but the main thing they're missing is fiber. Fiber isn't a nutrient per se, but a low fiber diet will tend to leave you constipated (and in the long term might increase your risk of heart disease and some cancers.)

Carbs can also be more complicated than just the totals; a handful of sugar may contain the same carbs as a serving of whole-grain pasta, but the latter is much healthier in terms of how it will effect your blood sugar, insulin levels, etc. Try to get whole grains. Try to get more complex carbs and less sugar (simple carbs.)

So, shakes are useful, but get real food too.

simple sugars are good in the right place. Drinking a gatorade right before bed might not be smart, but right after lifting it seems OK to moderately beneficial even.

better is to drink it before lifting because all those sugars will go directly into the muscles, but if u drink it after, that sugar will just float around your blood stream and prompt insulin, which is proven to age the body unnecessarily.

^ what are you talking about! insulin is the most crazy anabolic compound known to man, you WANT insulin spike right after lifting hard, thats why professional bodybuilders will inject insulin right after lifting

but I agree, I drink some gatorade while I lift (with some creatine mixed in)

the ideal I've found is protein shake before lifting like 30 mins before

gatorade/creatine while lifting

protein shake after lifting and then an hour later have a nice sized meal (real food)

^+1

I ALWAYS have a shake both before and after lifting with simple carbs and creatine added. I also add some xtras (ALA and ALCAR) for insulin shuttling purposes.

Shakes are good IN ADDITION to food. Not in replacement.

Best protein drink shakes 100% beneficial for health. Also available protein powder supplement suitable for body with food allergies. includes details of the Momentum program, food tips and guidance on effective weight loss planning.

Lol... There's a lot of misinformation in this thread. I believe it was this guy who claimed he got about 5000 out of his 10,000 calorie diet from shakes/supplements...

scott5.jpg

Either way, protein shakes are a good easy way to get more protein but they shouldn't come in place of a good diet, they should supplement it. Also quite handy for bulking when you haven't quite met your protein quota for the day but don't feel like eating more. I'm a big fan of Champion Nutrition personally and have been using their protein powder for ages.

Last edited:
....^^^what are you talking about dude, do you know what "protein powder" is? It's dried up milk for all intents and purposes, it's not like it's some synthesized crap made in a basement.

First off "post workout" is COMPLETELY overblown, do some research on the subject and you'll find protein synthesized is the exact same when complete proteins, aka whey, are taken either before or after the workout, but when free form amino acids are taken, protein synthesis is raised HIGHER when they're taken before the workout as opposed to after. So don't by the hype that Muscletech or whatever BS company wants you to think "slammin a protein shake" after the workout is cool.

I understand you're trying to say a diet is around the clock, it's not just drinking protein shakes, but to advise someone to eat the same diet as you is just misleading and wrong. My metabolism is fast enough that I need to eat around 6300 calories a day to slowly gain weight. You would probably be a fatass eating that much, and if I ate what you ate I'd probably be skin and bones.

To the OP, do a bit of research, find a few different calculators to get a GUESS at how much you should be eating to reach your goal of losing, maintaining, or gaining, and go from there. You're not going to OD on vits and mins, worry more about macros.

Correct.

General rule of thumb is that shakes are inferior to whole foods. Use them in addition to a caloric surplus and definitely don't try to use them as meal "replacements"