• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids cure for restless legs from opiate withdrawal?

restless legs due to withdrawal

I can SO sympathize with you. Have been there many many times. I have to agree with mostly e everyone here when they say benzos or I have been trying ativan _ I still think the Xanax Work better. I guess it depends on what your drug of choice is. I can tell you all this the next time that I feel that the with drawls are coming I will turn to tjr wonderful people I have met.

As far as the question about Requip goes here is my experience...

When I first got addicted to OPs, I started getting RLS every night when I went to bed. I HAD NO IDEA it was due to the opiates so I tried everything. Finally went to my doctor for it, who prescribed me Requip.

About a month later I put 2 and 2 together and have had some of the most hellish nights on earth since then (Im currently at 400+/mg per day injected habit of OC)

REQUIP DOES NOT HELP OPIATE RELATED RLS
not IME at least.... ive taken lots, ive take a little... it didnt do shit

Loperamide helps a BIT, but nothing to sneeze at
Kratom is a gift from god

otherwise your gonna either end up copping, or your in for a week or more of pure HELL

TAPERING IS BEST

And what should do a person who's heavily addicted to benzodiazepines and loperamide doesn't do a thing because it doesn't cross BBB (that means it does in such quantity, it doesn't have a central effect at all)? I'm such a person. In my case restless legs caused by opioid withdrawal can be helped only an opioid can help. Otherwise, one should proceed with drugs normally used for restless leg syndrome, i.e. certain dopamine agonists (most selective for D3), benzodiazepines (and SOME other anticonvulsants), and opioids as a last resort (well, it's no surprise if restless legs are symptoms during both benzodiazepine and opioid withdrawals).

Antihistamines often used to augment opioid effects are contradicted here as well as antidepressants (serotonin flood doesn't help so it concerns old TCAs and SSRIs/SNRIs), neuroleptics (they cause restless legs themselves, I've even experienced it taking steady dose of methadone and a few antipsychotics).

Ohh man, this is by far the worste symptom I feel when W/Ding, I get it so bad and not just my legs but in the arms too, especially my left arm. Not too many thing really help it too so I basically just don't get any sleep for about 5-7 days, I absolutely cannot sleep when this goes on so I just grin and bear it, especially in a detox facility, man it sucks. Anyways I have foudn that even benzos like xanax really dont do the job, however the one thing that cuts out about 90% of it is Librium, that helps so much and does wonders for me when laying in bed and trying to sleep. I still get a slight twitch but nothing I cannot deal with. I would for sure recommend Librium to you. Good Luck!

for the restless legs you should try Chinin" (thats what its calles here in germany) ,i think quinine in english (correct me if i`m wrong) , heard it works wonders with muscle cramps and restless legs at a dose of 200-400mg/day....here it comes in very cheap packages of 20pills with 200mg each without prescription.....

an oxy junky friend of mine, found that playing video games and smoking hash helped him get through oxy WDs.

i am a huge opiate addict. my wd r terrible as im sure everyone elses r. if i could get past the leg thing i might have a chance. what is this stuff about immodium bein a opiate? if thats true will it make me feel better and take withdrawal away????????????? HELP. i think im losin it peeps!

wow! Do not do this!!

yea i hate to say it but it does work even though it's never a good idea to cut off circulation to your extremities. When i was at inpatient rehab they only gave out trazadone and i wouldnt take it because it made me feel even worse. I would get such bad RLS that i would tie the bed sheet around my ankle to try and stop the pain, it was literally the only thing i could do to get even a small bit of relief. and yea that is something you would do when you dont have access to meds like in prison or a cut rate rehab...

now if you do have access to drugs or a dr willing to rx something to help you, i would go for clonidine. it really does help with RLS and its not addictive like benzos, or scheduled like lyrica so it is pretty easy to get.

I find that my RLS gets so bad in withdrawal that even bezoes (temazepam, lorazepam, clonazepam) exacerbate it--normally they work great for RLS, but when I'm in full withdrawal I get a paradoxical reaction to them. Clonidine makes it worse too, as does benadryl, seraquil, zopiclone, etc. I haven't tried the dopamine agonists but I've read they can create rebound. I've had RLS my whole life (except when clean and jogging) so when in w/d it's really severe.

In full withdrawal I have only ever found two things to help:

-a hot bath with some epsom salts (magnesium sulfate), though this is TEMPORARY relief only; my jimmy legs return after about half an hour

-barbituates, which I cannot obtain anymore as my (more liberal) doctor retired (and they are non-existent on the black market in my area of Canada, as far as I know)

I've never tried gabapentin, so I can't comment on that.

once i took a bunch of seroquill in highschool one night when i was drinking .

instead of getting any sort of recreational effect; i got the most horrendous RLS i have ever experienced.

i was kicking and writhing around for hours wondering what the fuck was wrong and seriously hoping i hadn't somehow given myself RLS and this feeling would be permanent.

luckily it was a one night thing, but i would expect seroquill to really fuck with some one in WDs

ONE. Find something you really used to enjoy before your OP addiction and attempt to lose yourself in it, reflect on what an a$$hole u have probably turned yourself into (depending on how severe we are).

TWO. Repeat ONE while forever having thick clouds of weed smoke coming out from within the deepest depths of your lungs. And yes, non-stop until ur out, (weed is a natural muscle relaxent, so says science, which got us all to this thread in the first place)

DISCLAIMER:
This along with anything else won't truely keep you off, as ANYTHING and EVERYTHING is only a temporary solution. Get the will power, I did.

why would you suggest another opiate for this person who wants to quit. potassium supplement worked for some extent for me. take my words with a grain however. most things that work for me dont work for others. call it placebo or whatever. a mild benzo such as lorazepam or even better clonazepam. from experience with alprazolam it really sucks during op wd

Some pretty decent advice on the potassium...although for most people magnesium oxide (MagOx) works better to deal with nervous muscle issues. A potassium/magnesium blend I found worked the best for me.
The poster who suggested Tylenol #1 is probably assuming that the OP has some significant tolerance issues, and that low dose codeine would greatly alleviate his RLS (and other WD symptoms, too). It could also provide the ability to taper. Also, if you're going to use benzos I would suggest diazepam (Valium) due to its inherent muscle relaxing properties.