[Canada] North American Opiate Medication Initiative

Tchort

Bluelight Crew
http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00175357?term=opioid+dependance&recr=Open&rank=16

The objective of this study is to determine whether the closely supervised provision of injectable, pharmaceutical-grade heroin (in combination with oral methadone) is more effective than methadone therapy alone in recruiting, retaining, and benefiting long-term heroin users who have not been helped by current standard treatment options.

This is a two-centre (Vancouver, Montreal) RCT involving a total of 235 volunteers. Eligible participants will be randomized to injectable heroin combined with oral methadone as desired (45%) versus oral methadone alone (45%). A subset of 10% will be randomized to injectable hydromorphone (Dilaudid™). Hydromorphone and heroin will be given in a double-blind fashion; the purpose is to permit validation of reported illicit use of heroin through urine testing in the hydromorphone group. Research visits will be conducted quarterly and will occur independently of treatment clinic visits. Incentives will be used to maintain research follow-up whether or not the subject is retained in treatment. The analysis will be under intent-to-treat. The primary outcomes of interest are 1) recruitment and retention in the study and 2) illicit drug use and criminal behavior (as determined by the Europ-ASI) at 12 months. Secondary outcomes are measures of social function (e.g., social integration and functioning, quality of life) and cost-benefit/effectiveness of the interventions.

Included in the link are inclusion and exclusion criteria, and who to contact and how to get involved.

Some patients will be given Methadone, Methadone + IV Heroin, or Methadone + IV Hydromorphone.

It's the Phase III trial for the NAOMI project.

This is important for the future of a permanent prescription Heroin program in Canada. I am hopeful that someone here can get involved and benefit.

NAOMI's website:

http://www.naomistudy.ca/

The link at the top is all the info about the study and how to get involved.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's great to see that Canada is doing something like this. I seriously doubt America will ever follow in their footsteps.

Moving to Drug Studies.

Sorry if you guys already have a link to this.

^Not that I'm aware of. This is a great program, I know one person who is/was part of it, I haven't spoken with him in a while, but when we last spoke, he had gotten himself off the streets, and was tapering off.

http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00175357?term=opioid+dependance&recr=Open&rank=16

Included in the link are inclusion and exclusion criteria, and who to contact and how to get involved.

Some patients will be given Methadone, Methadone + IV Heroin, or Methadone + IV Hydromorphone.

It's the Phase III trial for the NAOMI project.

This is important for the future of a permanent prescription Heroin program in Canada. I am hopeful that someone here can get involved and benefit.

NAOMI's website:

http://www.naomistudy.ca/

The link at the top is all the info about the study and how to get involved.
Canada needs a lessn in how they treat opait addicts, first off its a deziese, fucks yu right up, cant function normaly like yu fuckn shallow think yu own it cunts, 1 clinic in manatoba and 1 clinic in calgary, fuuuuck yuuuu CANADA yu fuckn pathetic country!!!!!

sorry i got yur message but my folks got the ol pop up blocker goin im sorry wont post anymore

This was originally reported in 2008 (and largely ignored).

Key findings:

-Hydromorphone IV is not distinguishable from heroin IV in given double blind in drug addicts
-Illegal activities engaged in by addicts dropped by one half
-Hydromorphone therapy has greater retention rats than methadone therapy (near 90%)

^That's interesting, I would think that it'd be easy to distinguish heroin from hydromorphone due to the duration of hydromorphone.

indeed i would of thought hydromorph would be destinguishable but than again i've never used pharmaceutical grade heroin. Heroin without any adultarants may make these two almost parallel. I did read somewhere that out of all the people given iv dilaudid only one noticed it wasn't heroin. Goes to show how much more research is needed. Unfortunatly Canada has ended the study and niomi has lost its funding from health canada. But i have hope it will come back as vancouver has over 1000 dope addicts in a very small area. Plus there are little spots around the city with similiar issues. Vancouver has had a history of Opiate abuse since the late 1880's when the chinese immigrants would bring it from china. Thus over the years it changed to heroin.