Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Nurse sues to be able to prescribe marijuana

trainwreckmolly

Bluelighter
Nurse sues to prescribe marijuana
January 16, 2009
http://kob.com/article/stories/S749349.shtml?cat=516
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

An Albuquerque nurse is suing the government to be able to prescribe medical marijuana to his patients.

Psychiatric nurse practitioner Bryan Krumm said he's afraid he'll be raided by the Drug Enforcement Administration if he prescribes the drug. The DEA has made such raids at California clinics, where state law makes medicinal marijuana usage legal.

Recently, New Mexico's health department finalized rules for non-profits to grow medical pot. But so far, no group has been cleared by the state to start growing.

Under the law, patients can grow marijuana for personal medical use, but it does not protect them from federal prosecution.

Krumm filed a lawsuit in federal court as the lone plaintiff. He hopes to convince the courts to change marijuana's classification as a dangerous drug to a drug with medical value.

"Marijuana has very unique therapeutic properties," Krumm said. "It also has the potential to treat many diseases."

Krumm said he would like to prescribe marijuana, but fears the heavy hand of the US government, even though state law okays pot's medical usage.

"I haven't been able to ethically refer my patients into the medical marijuana program at this point. I can not put them in that jeopardy of facing those federal charges," he said.

Krumm filed the suit pro se, meaning he will do the legal work and pay the court fees himself.

The local DEA has not said if it would prosecute any New Mexicans qualified to smoke medical marijuana.

It is such an unjust issue that people can be abiding by the law and using their prescribed medication, yet in violation and liable to prosecution at the same time. Although I doubt the doc truly feels this "ethical dilemma" any more than prescribing hard opiates to people it is a very good way to put the point across.

My mummy does this job.

What a fucked up law though. I dont understand why firstly, the law cannot be as simple as "its legal to smoke and grow marijuana if you have a prescription for it" and secondly, why this 'drug' is still illegal even though its used to heal so many people.

the only part i dont get is why should a patient be allowed to grow their own? i think everyone should be able to grow and smoke but how would beign prescribed it validate growing it im jw. like beign prescribed morphine and codiene doesnt give u he right to grow poppies.

well, the logical flaw in your argument is that a typical person could not get morphine or heroin from poppies, even if they could effectively collect the opium sap. however, an average person can grow marijuana that is quite effective without the inconvenience or stigma attached to getting it from an outside source. also, this is albuquerque, not LA. there are no clubs around here