Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Drug Testing: Chess Players Rebel

dhcdavid

Ex-Bluelighter
Drug Testing: Chess Players Rebel

Drug War Chronicle, Issue #567, 1/9/09

http://stopthedrugwar.org/chronicle/567/chess_drug_testing_anti_doping

The World Chess Federation, better known by its French acronym FIDE, has gotten itself into a controversy over drug testing. FIDE instituted its anti-doping program in a so far futile attempt to gain chess entrance into the Olympic Games, but now, with its threat to order a two-year suspension for Ukrainian Grandmaster Vassily Ivanchuk, the federation is facing rebellion and ridicule in the ranks.

Players had already ridiculed the drug testing policy and criticized the quest to gain Olympic status as misguided, but the looming Ivanchuk suspension is bringing matters to a head. Ivanchuk, the third-ranked player in the world and a very popular figure in the game, failed to take a mandatory drug test after he lost a crucial game at the Chess Olympiad in Dresden, Germany, in November. Instead of completing the drug test, an angry and distraught Ivanchuk left the building and was later seen stomping around and kicking posts outside.

"Can we believe such news?" Latvian-born Spanish Grandmaster Alexei Shirov, once a challenger for the world title, wrote in an open letter on the Ivanchuk case in December. "A player who has been at the very top for more than 20 years... gets banned simply because he wanted to calm down after a lost game?"

Another prominent player, German veteran Robert Hübner, one of the best players in the West during the 1970s and 1980s, refuses to participate in FIDE events to protest the drug testing policy.

The Ivanchuk affair is a case of "bureaucracy gone haywire," Washington, DC, tournament organizer Michael Atkins told the Washington Times this week. "Enhancing physical performance for athletes obviously needs testing, but I don't think anyone has ever shown that there are mental performance-enhancing illegal drugs that would improve play over the board to the degree that it affects results," he said. "Having to become a chess cop would drive me away from tournaments quickly. It really isn't worth it to do this just to get in the Olympics."

FIDE's anti-doping regulations are based on those of the World Anti-Doping Association, the body that governs drug testing in Olympic sports. The association's list of prohibited substances includes not only steroids, stimulants, gene doping and other "performance enhancing" substances, but also all illicit drugs, including marijuana, LSD, and heroin.

This isn't the first time FIDE has stirred controversy in the ranks over anti-doping policies. In the 2004 Chess Olympiad on the Spanish island of Mallorca, officials forfeited two lower ranking players after they objected random drug tests after their match. But Ivanchuk is a much more prominent and well-liked player, and that's giving the federation pause.

FIDE officials have postponed announcing a final decision on the mandatory two-year ban. Instead, a "doping hearing panel" will review the case in the next couple of months and make a decision. In the meantime, Ivanchuk is still playing tournament chess, and FIDE is a laughing stock for its members.

Most chess players look like anorexic fuckwits- bring on the roids boyz!

I think meth would improve chess skill...I find that mdma make me very good at mathematics becose i can concentrate much better and also "hold" more numbers in my mind.With lsd i can visualise mathematical problems and solve them in very wierd effective way if i dont look at random visual bullshit.

^LSD and shroomies and such let me hold more in my head, see the holistic picture, all the interconnections and equilibria; they help me find glitches in my programs, they help me design programs, and they have put me on my entire career path

isnt it ironic that drugs are banned for being "performance enhancing" and at the same time they are banned because they "make you dopy and decrease your performance"? people are scared of them partly because they are taste of what is to come. in the near future, we will be able to safely enhance our bodies and minds. we will change ourselves via technologies

Hahaha, the whole idea of drug testing chess players is just pathetic. The only drug that could possibly improve performance that i can think of is meth, although only very slightly. Chess is a game of strategy and tactics, meth may stop you from overlooking a simple move because your attention is increased but it wont generally effect your ability to adapt your strategy to that of your opponents.
Chess being a mental game I am of the opinion pretty much all long term drug use would have a negative impact on chess skill, I could be wrong though.

^i think that chaotic systems go quite well with psychedelics. a moderately-using acid head, with an enthusiasm for chess, would do quite well i think :p

A light to moderate high from marijuana or LSD can enhance your ablility to concentrate and help your game. This drug testing is getting out of hand. Government needs to stay out of private lives. Whatever you ingest is your business. Wait, you can't eat that second Big Mac, your cholesterol level is too high and I will have to put you in jail!

Chess doesn't belong in the Olympics anyway. That's a crazy idea.

i'd watch the olympics if it let their players dope up. the athletes are badass now, but they'd be inhuman with the full power of science behind them.

the chess players in my highschool would eat a lot of candy before matches. supposedely the sugar rush increased the speed of their brains. but i guess that's perfectly legal and dandy huh.

Never played chess on drugs, ive done it on cheese tho which is fine with crackers. coffee is fun too.

I could see LSD or coke being interesting game fuels.

All sports and contest should just have doping and non doping divisions.

LSD makes Chess HARD and I'm a fairly good player. Started my schools Chess Club in high school.

I rofl'd when I read this. Imagin some juiced up chess player struggling to reach a rook with his over sized bicep then crushing it in his palm...

They should ban caffeine too. It's a stimulant and enhances mental performance.

No morning coffee before a game.

I had an epic game of chess during the peak of a P. cyanescens trip once. The fate of the entire universe was going to be determined by the outcome of this game!

I had to face a 12 year old 'chess phenom' as his family kept hyping him up to be.

Luckily for you all it ended in a stalemate after I chased his king around the board for 10 moves, and the universe was allowed to carry on as it always had been.

Bodybuilder.jpg

the next chess master of the world
he literally crushes his opponents