• ✍️ WORDS ✍️

Welcome Guest!

• Words Moderators: Mysterier

Question

econ 2

Bluelighter
I used to write poetry sometimes.
These days, I honestly don't feel as I have 'as' much as I did then, if you can understand me. Maybe I was just crazier back then, I don't know..

Is this normal? I basically don't even try to write anything anymore. Is it cyclical for anyone else, or am I just the definition of an amateur?

From my own experience, the most creatively destructive thing in the world is self-consciousness. If I get too wrapped up in wondering how something will be received, it will make me over-analyze, doubt myself, mistrust my instinct, etc.
I think there's something about the audaciousness of youth where you think everything you do is a work of genius. You just go with it and while a lot will be crap, it's often interesting crap.
I think the best way to get out of a rut is to just work through it. Just write. Even if it sucks, just keep the wheels moving and you'll eventually get your rhythm back.

I used to write. then decided I had nothing interesting. then decided that I could remember everything. Now due to intense anger/depression from PAWS off opiates, I started to write. I think it can be cyclical. If you can force yourself to write like above ^ said, kudos. I myself need to feel inspired.

The thing is, I knew I wasn't a genius, I read so much that I pretty much hated myself for writing haha..You are right though, writers have to write. Steinbeck style, like many hours a day type stuff.

For me though, it's a bit different, like Chekhov. "Medicine is my lawful wife and literature my mistress; when I get tired of one, I spend the night with the other," except the bit about medicine. I believe you are capable enough to figure out what to replace it with..

I went through the same thing. When I was like 15-16, I was incredibly inspired to write, fueled by a first love and a discovery of Kerouac. When my heart broke and I eventually became addicted to drugs, I didn't really write seriously for years. Eventually, I stopped using, grew up, and thus gained much maturity. It's OK what you're going through. It's just with age, I think you need to find a little focus for your writing, especially if you haven't written in a while. It wasn't till I went back to college that I re-discovered my passion for writing, where I had responsibility and a sort of flame on my ass to write on a schedule, which essentially forced me to sharpen my literary tools, if ya dig.

I can totally relate...a few of my poems have started out at a literal search on the page for an idea. Other times I just get stuck in a WTF rut and nothing comes out. It'll pass if you sit down and write your way out of it.

Easier said than done, though.

i think having interesting things to write about is a big part of it. one mark of a good writer is leading an eventful life.

I used to write a lot of poems. A few got published. I've just started writing again recently but it's a little intimidating to live up to the earlier me.