Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

A fatal poisoning involving Bromo-Dragonfly

drplatypus

Bluelighter
Apologies to mods if this is the wrong forum for this- please redirect if need be. I know that there has been some interest in this in the ADD forum...

This paper reports a fatal overdose case involving the potent hallucinogenic drug
Bromo-Dragonfly (1-(8-bromobenzo[1,2-b; 4,5-b']difuran-4-yl)-2-aminopropane). In
the present case, an 18-year-old woman was found dead after ingestion of a
hallucinogenic liquid. A medico-legal autopsy was performed on the deceased,
during which liver, blood, urine and vitreous humour were submitted for
toxicological examination. Bromo-Dragonfly was identified in the liver blood
using UPLC-TOFMS, and was subsequently quantified in femoral blood (0.0047mg/kg),
urine (0.033mg/kg) and vitreous humour (0.0005mg/kg) using LC-MS/MS. Calibration
standards were prepared from Bromo-Dragonfly isolated from a bottle found next to
the deceased. The structure and purity of the isolated compound were
unambiguously determined from analysis of UPLC-TOFMS, GC-MS, HPLC-DAD, (1)H and
(13)C NMR data and by comparison to literature data. The autopsy findings were
non-specific for acute poisoning. However, based on the toxicological findings,
the cause of death was determined to be a fatal overdose of Bromo-Dragonfly, as
no ethanol and no therapeutics or other drugs of abuse besides Bromo-Dragonfly
were detected in the liver, blood or urine samples from the deceased. To our
knowledge, this is the first report of quantification of Bromo-Dragonfly in a
biological specimen from a deceased person. This case caused the drug to be
classified as an illegal drug in Denmark on 5th December 2007.

A fatal poisoning involving Bromo-Dragonfly.
Andreasen MF, Telving R, Birkler RI, Schumacher B, Johannsen M.
Section for Toxicology and Drug Analysis, Institute of Forensic Medicine,
University of Aarhus, Brendstrupgaardsvej 100, DK-8200 Aarhus N, Denmark.
Forensic Sci Int. 2008 Dec 15. [Epub ahead of print]

in laymen terms how does 0.047mg/kg in the blood translate to in dosage? Wouldn't this be about 4700 ug?

me not good maths

um if the body has 5.6 litres of bloody (approx) would that not be 5.6kg divide by 0.0047 to give you an idea of the dose that was consumed.

Oh holy venerable blighters capable of maths and higher thought please set me straight

All i know is that if 4700ug of BrDFly was consumed, the person wouldn't be in good shape.

500ug, to about 1500ug is the dosage range for this stuff.

Nowhere near enough research done to fuck around with this chem.

This is the reason why i warn people when consuming this drug.

Definately needs more research carried out.

I'm pretty sure the dosage was above 4700ug, maybe nanobrain can help us out with that one?

If I am correct, the dose is actually really low for the deaths and amputations, around 10mg~. That makes bromo-dragonfly a very dangerous chemical indeed.

I had bad reactions to this stuff. Benzos don't bring u down on it only makes things worse.

the 2 recent BRDF casualties in SE involved ingestion of 1,000mg or 2,000 doses per person. one is dead, the other likely wishes he was.

0.0047 mg/kg ...
1 microgram is 1/1000 th of a mg so
0.0047 mg = 4.7 micrograms = 4.7/1000000 of a kg

there is no excuse for being unable to make that calculation, especially if you want to take chemicals for pleasure. If you cannot figure out the dose, stay sober.

This stuff sounds like a bad idea anyway.

^ get off your fucking high horse, how many people here do you think deal or even handle substances in the UG range? Worse case would be LSD and that would mainly come already diluted in liquid.

Indeed how can we be safe considering the cost of a accurate UG capable scale? If your going to berate people then you might as well be constructive. Anyone my first post indicated 4700 UG, i just thought it was weird since i don't normally sit around calculating quantities into micrograms. Just was seeking confirmation.

^ get off your fucking high horse, how many people here do you think deal or even handle substances in the UG range? Worse case would be LSD and that would mainly come already diluted in liquid.

excuse me ol' mate, but I have to say I think you're a bit outta line chugs.

What rational_animal is saying, is that if you're measuring out high potency research chems (such as bromodragonfly, some tryptamines and phenethylamines or completely novel chems) some of which may only have info on activities stated as ug etc / kg, then it's essential you can do the basic math. It applies equally to all chemicals, but is particularly important with anything with activity in the single digit milligram range or less. Serial dilutions can avoid the need for a balance in the sub milligram range, but you still need to be able to accurately determine dose per dilution.

As for an accurate balance; I've seen s/h 5 place Mettler balances on ebay for a few hundred dollars. They're big, but very well made, and usually always repairable.

I have several points

1. The average drug use simply has no need for a microgram scale. The vast majority of drugs, legal or illegal, are psychoactive at levels far exceeding the UG measurement.

You know the last time I brought the salt form of a tryptamines and thus required fucking UG scale? NEVER and nor would have 99% of anyone on bluelight. Being able to work out the maths to convert a quantity to UG is utterly irrelevant for the vast majority of HUMANS on this PLANET.

2. I find it insulting and patronising to be told that simply because I can't convert 0.0047 to UG (funny enough I did so in my original post, all i was doing was seeking confirmation) that I am a irresponsible drug user. Fuck you and fuck all of you if you believe that to be the case.

The only people I know who need to calculate at that quantities are either drug dealers or the scientific community.

3. The OP simply had a rather weighty scientific statement that discussed measurements and volumes that the average person, let alone drug user, would never encounter. Give me a fucking break when I can't work out the volume of bromo in the blood against how much blood that person might have to calculate a rough guesstimate on the dose.

4. Measuring accurate quantities is utterly moot if you have no idea of the potency or purity of the substances you have. Thus, drugs that work on the low mg scale, i.e. desoxypipradrol, you simply have to reduce and reduce your dose and work your way up to baseline in order to appreciate the quality you have.

Don't get me wrong anyone who does deal or use drugs that are psychoactive in the UG range should know the maths.

However until that day arrives for the vast majority of users, anyone who claims otherwise, can go **** themselves

Last edited:
Lastly no one has been able to tell me how much fucking drugs they consumed

Lastly no one has been able to tell me how much fucking drugs they consumed

That's because there isn't enough information.

You need to know how long ago she took it, how fast it metabolises, how much is eliminated unchanged in the urinne and how much she weighed. Then you can estimate the dosage.

You know the last time I brought the salt form of a tryptamines and thus required fucking UG scale? NEVER and nor would have 99% of anyone on bluelight.

Well, some years ago it was a fairly common practice. I know of at least 5 Aus Bluelighters of that time as well as non-bluelighters that obtained high potency (milligram-sub milligram) chemicals. afaik, no-one suffered from incorrect dosages except Urbi, but that was because he was supplied the wrong chemical ( assumed to be DOI instead of 2CI)