• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: The Herald Sun 24/11/08 "Toolies push drugs, schoolies boast of a slab a day"

djsim

Bluelight Crew
NEWS: The Herald Sun 24/11/08 "Toolies push drugs, schoolies boast of a slab a day"

Toolies push drugs, schoolies boast of a slab a day

Matt Johnston and Emily Power

November 24, 2008 12:00am
SCHOOLIES at Lorne and the Gold Coast have admitted downing up to a slab of beer a day.

And many teens at schoolies celebrations have been offered drugs such as ecstasy and speed, with some reporting older revellers or "toolies" as the peddlers.

Toolies were also blamed for most of the trouble at Surfers Paradise this weekend where 173 people were arrested on Friday and Saturday nights. Of those arrested on the Gold Coast, 142 were not schoolies.

Police praise revellers as arrest figures drop

A Herald Sun survey of 44 male and female schoolies at Lorne and the Gold Coast found all but one said they would binge drink at schoolies. Some revealed they would regularly down 20 to 24 drinks or shots a night, saying they were intent on getting "wasted" and had a right to drink to oblivion after finishing 12 years of school.

The Herald Sun was also approached by one teen in Lorne on Saturday night asking to buy "goog" - slang for ecstasy.

But other schoolies said they wanted to remember their end-of-year party, and would avoid drugs and try to contain their drinking to several beers or spirits a night. One girl said she would not drink at all.

Of the 44 people the Herald Sun spoke to, 93 per cent said they would drink more than six standard drinks a night.

Thirty-six per cent said they had been offered drugs, had seen people take drugs or had used drugs.

Drugs reported at schoolies events include ecstasy, marijuana, speed and amyl nitrite.

One Mornington Peninsula schoolie partying at the Gold Coast said he had already spent about $200 on alcohol in the first two days, and booze was "all he spent his money on".

A Lorne schoolie said the party was a one-off where his usually moderate approach to alcohol did not apply.

"We don't really care because it's schoolies, but you know your limits," he said.

Another girl said: "We know what we can handle, it's not our first time drinking."

Though there were 24 schoolies arrests on Saturday night at the Gold Coast - the first official schoolies night - Gold Coast Police District Supt Jim Keogh said he was reasonably happy with the schoolies' behaviour.

"You have got to be realistic. If you put 20,000 teenagers into an entertainment precinct I think it would be somewhat ambitious to think that we would ever get to zero arrests," Supt Keogh said.

Most of the arrests were for public nuisance offences, and one teen was charged with two drug offences.

Lorne's Sgt Bill Matthews said new wrist bands identifying schoolies and where they were staying would make it easier for police to help disorientated people.

Police hope boosting their numbers will prevent the violence that marred previous schoolies weeks in Lorne, including assaults last year and the near fatal bashing of Mt Clear teen Jon Hucker in 2006.​

LINK

The Herald Sun was also approached by one teen in Lorne on Saturday night asking to buy "goog" - slang for ecstasy.

Jesus Christ, why does the older generation always have to find a way to fuck up the way the younger generation speak? It's like when the older generation adds "the" in front of the wrong words... like "do you do the ecstasy?" or "I hope you don't start smoking the dope/marijuana". Or worst of all: "Look it up using the Google".

Urgghh!

^ Yeah, I wasn't about to say, I've never heard anyone use that poorly derived slang before.

They can try and prevent all the youth drug abuse all they want, but when It's my schoolies I don't give a fuck.

I'm going to try and reenact Fear And Loathing In Las Vagas :D

No, I've heard googs before. I was saying they are dicks because they are using the word "goog" as the plural, like you'd say "got any ice?". You don't say "got any goog?" do ya?

I'm going to try and reenact Fear And Loathing In Las Vagas :D

I rate that movie. Johnny Depps BEST performance! Id love to see the look on the cops faces when they open your suitcase :D

Can't say ive ever heard pills called googs, although my friends use pretty weird words... Some how pinga's went to dinga's which morphed to chinga's and now I'm hearing janga's? Strange friends I have.

SA = Googs every where.

Never heard of anyone being offered goog though.

A slab of beer a day, say they get Coopers Pale Ale, pretty standard beer here in SA, thats 1.3 drinks per beer I'm prety sure.
Thats only 1.3 drinks an hour, over a whole day.
I know people who drink double that in half the time every weekend.
So whats wrong with a group of people having a little binge just the once, it's not like they don't already know the consequences.

Herald Sun, it's 13 years of school, you have reception.
I'd count that.

One girl said she would not drink at all?
Thats what I say when I go out taking drugs.
Hmm.

Of course toolies are blamed for selling drugs, it is going to be profitable there for drug dealers, and unlike The Heral Sons other article suggested, most drug dealers are older than 17, 18.

Isn't it Amyl Nitrate, not nitrite? I might be wrong there.
But where did they get that from?
Marijuana, Ecstasy, Speed were of course offered, they are the cheapest and easiest obtainable drugs around, and probably the most popular.

'One Mornington Peninsula schoolie partying at the Gold Coast said he had already spent about $200 on alcohol in the first two days, and booze was "all he spent his money on".'

Well atleast he's not buying drugs =p.

Last edited:
I think they totally didn't make the conection between the worg 'goog' and the meaning 'egg', thus not having a clue what kind of use 'goog' would have.

Jakeperson said:
But where did they get that from?

Both are drugs; amyl nitrate is not recreational but the name is commonly mis-used when people are actually referring to the recreational drug amyl nitrite. Amyl nitrate is only good for treating angina and cyanide poisoning as far as I know.

Almost all of what's called amyl nitrite these days is isobutyl nitrite. Nitrates are only present because they are side reaction products from the production of nitrites from their respective alcohols. All are carcinogenic (i.e. form nitrous amines in the presence of secondary amines)

Check this thread for a bit more info

Edit - Mr Blonde; amyl nitrite was once used alone to treat cyanide poisoning, but it wasn't always effective. Nowadays it is sometimes used in connection with other compounds usually given bvy injection (also not always affective)

^ Ah, I got the names right but I seem to have gotten the applications mixed up... amyl nitrate doesn't seem to have any applications in medicine whilst amyl nitrite has the effects I was talking about.

So not great for cyanide poison, eh? I'll remember not to go out and eat wild almonds then even if I've got some poppers with me. ;)

off topic...and I'm not so sure this is the right place for this...

So not great for cyanide poison, eh? I'll remember not to go out and eat wild almonds then even if I've got some poppers with me.

Either that or take a specific beta glucosidase inhibitor and make sure you're stomach and small intestine are less acidic than normal - not recommended!

Of course I don't advocate eating quantities of wild almonds or apricot kernels. I know a few people who have one or two a day though without any reported bad effects (taken as a cancer preventative).

I was once excited about the prospect of B17 as a potential cancer cure. I've known two cases where cancer sufferers seemed to be helped by this substance, which I wrote about here some 3 years ago. One, a baby with non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma, recovered from an advanced stage of the disease and is still alive today some 35 years later. The other, a young girl, went into remission for 15 years or so, then the tumour returned and she died earlier this year.

However, despite those outcomes and what I previously wrote about these substances, I don't think laetrile or amygdalin are safe to use at all. My GP - a fairly open minded ol' bloke - says he's seen many cases of poisoning, but not one case where these compounds had helped.

Like you guys im pretty suprised that amyl nitrite got a mension- I still beleved it was a pretty unknown chem ( at least by the masses)

It is also freely available, dirt cheap and just the type of thing 18 year old kids would go for. Or even better, 17 year olds.

And enough of this "googs" business, it makes me feel like I'm out of touch with society. What a bizarre piece of slang.