• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: News.com.au - Melanie Boyd wanted to call for help at Townsville pharm party'

hoptis

Bluelight Crew
Melanie Boyd wanted to call for help at Townsville pharm party
By Peter Michael
October 10, 2008 08:54am

TEENAGER Melanie Boyd begged her friends to call for help after taking a lethal cocktail of booze and drugs, an inquest was told.

But by the time an ambulance was called, three hours after she was found "blue" and "struggling to breathe", the popular Townsville private schoolgirl, 16, was dead.

In a tearful apology yesterday, Matthew Aubrey, 20, told an inquest into her June 2006 death that the first-time drug taker wanted to call for help when two fellow drug users at the "pharm party" fell into fits of convulsions.

"Mel had a phone, she said if it's happened to them I don't want this to happen to me," Mr Aubrey told the Townsville Coroner's Court.

But the six partygoers talked each other out of calling for an ambulance - because they did not want to involve the police.

"It was not my party, not my house, not my call," said the youth, who was 18 at the time and the oldest at the party.

"Knowing what I know now, I wish I was smarter."

Parents Laurie and Julie Boyd angrily refused to accept his emotional plea for forgiveness as well as that of the teenage girl who supplied the drugs and hosted the beachfront house party.

"We thought we were invincible," said the girl, whose identity has been suppressed by the court.

She said she had not touched drugs since that fateful party.

"It scared me straight.

"I'm sorry it took something this catastrophic to make me realise how precious life is."

"I think we thought we were better and it would not happen to us."

Coroner Brian Smith presiding over the inquest heard "pharm parties", mixing alcohol, marijuana and prescription pills, had become popular among the nation's youth.

In a twist, it emerged that the girls who snorted lines of a white powder, popped up to eight anti-depressants and pain killers, and slammed shots of rum had not taken speed, or crystal meth, as believed by police.

"I told them (the other girls) it was speed. I wanted to be cool, I wanted to be accepted," the girl said.

She said she emptied the contents of an unknown capsule into a bag which they divided up into lines, before raiding her mother's drug cabinet for blue and orange pills.

"There is not a day that goes by that I don't think of Mel and wish it had all never happened," she said.

The inquest continues.

News.com.au

Wow, swallowing and snorting random pills, taking anti-depressants to get high.

If these kids had some real drugs, some education, or lived in a society that guaranteed that police wouldn't be involved in these matters I would wager she would still be alive. But I bet the rabid anti-drug zealots think this gives weight to their arguments. How troubling.

'My daughter died because they didn't care'
By Jessica Johnston
October 11, 2008 07:18am
Article from: Townsville Bulletin

A FATHER has lashed out at the"callous indifference" of youths who wouldn't call for help as his daughter slowly died of a drug overdose.

The anguish and anger at losing his youngest daughter Melanie from a drug overdose at a party was evident as Laurie Boyd made a heart-wrenching statement to a Townsville coroner yesterday.

Mr Boyd was emotional yet resolute as he described his family's eternal grief and his personal pain identifying the 16-year-old in the morgue, The Townsvile Bulletin reports.

Melanie Boyd begged her friends to call for help after taking a lethal cocktail of booze and drugs, the inquest was told.

But by the time an ambulance was called, three hours after she was found "blue" and "struggling to breathe", the popular Townsville private schoolgirl was dead.

"No father should be called upon to identify his daughter's body," he said.

"Mel's throat was swollen, it was grossly distorted from her efforts trying to breathe.

"No witness can tell me she was merely snoring, or breathing like she had the flu.

"She must have been struggling for breath for hours ... I hope that she was unconscious.

"She died alone in a strange house, I just hope she didn't die afraid.

"We loved her and miss her every day.

"We were so lucky this wasn't the first of three inquests ... that three other fathers didn't have to go to the ghastly place in the bowels of the hospital to identify their daughter.

"Why it was Mel, I'll never know."

A toxicology report showed Melanie had traces of the painkiller Tramadol, sedative Promazine and codeine in her system when she died.

There was no trace of amphetamine or any illicit drug.

Professor David Williams, who undertook the autopsy, indicated Melanie had ultimately drowned in her vomit, which caused her death.

"She would have gradually lost consciousness," Prof Williams said.

"I'm sure it would have been peaceful, yes."

Mr Boyd said the only two youths who seemed to comprehend the impact of Melanie's death were those who had also taken the lethal drug cocktail.

He said only one of the girls had "the courage and integrity'"to attend Mel's funeral, and to extend her sorrow and regret.

Mr Boyd lashed out at the "callous indifference, shallow vanity and mindless hedonism" shown by the four youths who hadn't called an ambulance for the sick girls.

He said the other schoolgirl, who can't be named because of her age and Matthew Aubrey, Kelly Neville and Zohe Horne had displayed little insight or sorrow.

"There is no doubt that Mel died because they did not care," he said.

"I have sat and listened to the evidence of a succession of young people who were present during the circumstances leading up to my daughter's death.

"At times I have found it difficult to control my rage and I think it fair to observe that many of us ... are bewildered by what we have heard.

"These people sat and watched Mel die for three hours and they will never be held responsible.

"These people will effectively get away with watching my daughter die."

Mr Boyd said he had been "bitterly angry" that the host and her family had appeared to run away to New Zealand to avoid the consequences' and made no attempt to contact him.

But he yesterday extended a message of forgiveness to the other parents, acknowledging they were doing what they thought was best for their child.

"I hope (the host) that you have all the opportunities that were denied to Melanie and I wish you well for the future," he said.

News.com.au

That's so tragic. If what the father said about the other kids who were there is true, it makes me pretty fucking angry too.

This makes me sick.

How can one human watch a fellow human die in fear of the law? Fucking selfish.

It's really sad that they are in no way punishable for their actions. Though I suppose their guilt will always remind them.

This is another example of harm min not being employed. If only more kids knew about it, were educated about real risks and didn't fear the law in time like this, chances are the girl will still be with us.

Fair enough no one forced drugs into her system, and it is true that if you use drugs their are definite risks. But by no way does this excuse the actions of her "friends".

Selfish selfish selfish. The outcome could have so easily been different.

Why should these kids be considered guilty of anything? The girl overdosed by herself.

It's a part of the 'pharm'/opiate experience to vomit and pass out. Regular opiate users know to check for respiration and pulse when someone's passed out and clammy, but it's no reason to call the ambulance. These kids probably didn't know anything about the dangers or the indicators of opiate overdose. I know when I used to drink back in high school, half of the house would be suffering from near-fatal alcohol poisoning by the end of the night, and nobody ever thought to call for help. The more sober people would just help shower the passed out people.

don't know how things are in Australia, but you'd have to be out of your mind to call 911 in the USA if you're not 100% sure your friend's dying. These kids would have all ended with criminal records and banned from receiving loans for their college education. The smart thing to do in repressive societies like ours is to drive the person to the hospital yourself, but it sounds like that was impossible because they were all drunk and doped up.

Sad story, but it's just another predictable result of the War on Drugs.

static_mind said:
In Aus, The police wont get involved with an overdose.

same with nz, feel sorry for other countries such as usa.. of all places...

Poor parents....

but taking random pills, powders from a cupboard mixed up with alcohol ??

Who's to blame ? the 16 year old or the 'education' system ?

Lassaris said:
Are you sure? I was at a club the other day and a girl overdosed. The police were questioning the bouncers/owner etc, perhaps trying to find the dealer.

Yes, there are very clear policies around Australian police attending overdose situations. They will only attend if there's a risk to the ambulance officers.

Are these policies widely known by Australian teenagers though, Flexistentialist?

If so, I guess I completely lost any respect for those in the story. If not, then I still see their actions as understandable knowing how ignorant they were in so many ways.

I would say most teenagers are not aware of the "no police at ODs" situation. Also - this happened in a fairly remote town in far north Queensland, with a large army base nearby - not known as the brains trust region of Australia! (sorry Southern Cross Uni students ;) ). And given that they were taking prescription pills, they probably didn't even think of themselves as drug takers, or that there was any serious risk from taking those drugs....

Coolio said:
Are these policies widely known by Australian teenagers though, Flexistentialist?

I went through private schooling for all 12 years or whatever it is... we had drug education once in grade 7 and that was it. No safety talk or what to do in ODs or whether cops get involved; it was 'just say no'.

I think cops arnt meant to be involved, but they do anyway.

I think i read this here, but isnt the best thing to do is take them away from the party, say a street corner, call the ambos and say its a heart attack (It has the same priortiy as OD) and then when they are there bail and they'll take care of the person and ull be gone b4 the police arrive?

^^^ I'm 18 and I've only really ever heard what flinch was saying. Call ambo, stay with them until it arrives and bail or something. But I might just be misinformed.

Well said ayjay, I was going to make the same point; while police here aren't called out to OD's as a matter of routine, in a small town like Townsville, it's more likely that police would take a closer interest in such matters... and also in a small town, it's difficult to imagine news of someone having an ambulance call out for a drug problem staying private.

Still, none of these factors are any excuse for the way this situation turned out.

Flinch said:

I think i read this here, but isnt the best thing to do is take them away from the party, say a street corner, call the ambos and say its a heart attack (It has the same priortiy as OD) and then when they are there bail and they'll take care of the person and ull be gone b4 the police arrive?

You really shouldn't move someone in those circumstances (this isn't America).

If you have drugs on the premises give them all to one person and get them to leave, always have at least one person stay with the victim until the ambulance arrives.

Flinch said:

No that's not correct. Unfortunately, this is the info contained in Bluelight's Overdose FAQ, but it's incorrect and extremely dangerous. Never attempt to move an unconscious person. Apply first aid and phone the ambulance immediately. You can keep them alive with basic CPR and the police will not come and arrest you.

Ignore the FAQ, it was made and approved by people who don't know what they're talking about.

Flexistentialist said:
No that's not correct. Unfortunately, this is the info contained in Bluelight's Overdose FAQ, but it's incorrect and extremely dangerous. Never attempt to move an unconscious person. Apply first aid and phone the ambulance immediately. You can keep them alive with basic CPR and the police will not come and arrest you.

Ignore the FAQ, it was made and approved by people who don't know what they're talking about.

If that's correct then it should be corrected. I and many others come here for facts and treat Bluelight as a pretty reliable source.

zomg said:
If that's correct then it should be corrected. I and many others come here for facts and treat Bluelight as a pretty reliable source.

It's (more) correct for people in America

Is anyone else slightly annoyed by the complete inability of the father to accept that his daughter was largely responsible?

Yes, the friends fucked up in a big way, but they're kids on drugs who freaked out.