• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Captodiamine - mechanism of action?

wungchow

Bluelighter
220px-Captodiame.svg.png

After doing a little research I found that this molecule lacks antihistaminergic effects, and is an effective anxiolytic at doses of 150mg, also lacks the sedative effects of benzodiazepines.

Any ideas as to what receptors it targets?

I'm guessing it is "anxiolytic" the same way Hydroxyzine is "anxiolytic". I believe there is an old captodiamine thread in this forum already. Do a search.

It certainly looks like it would have antihistaminergic and antimuscarinic effects. If it looks, smells like, walks like, talks like...an antihistamine, it probably is.

I was almost positive I started a thread on this under my old account, but I don't see it now. the other bl maybe?

It has a structure similar to modafinil too. Weird.

Oh yeah, the structural similarity to modafinil is indeed astonishing.

Captodiamine is known to potentiate the action of barbiturates, thiobarbiturates, ketobemidone, pethidine, isomethadone, and morphine, most probably by inhibition of metabolising enzymes (CYP-family).

To my best knowledge, the exact molecular pharmacology (targeted receptor(s)) is not known, as captodiamine was abandoned some time ago and oviously nobody sees the need for new investigations.

Murphy