Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Input into content of new 'amphetamine-type stimulants' website

dribble

Greenlighter
Hello all.
As you probably know the Commonwealth has recently allocated a range of funding to develop health programs aimed at users of amphetamine-type stimulants. You're going to see a raft of these over the next year or two.

Our project is to develop a new range of online resources. One of these is a website and our current plan is to try and do something very different. We will still need to include the usual array of information on effects, reducing possible harms and links for assistance but want to make it more creative.

You guys are the experts so I'm asking BL-ers what you think would be useful to include in this ('yet another') website?

I've seen discussion about other sites and thought it would be great to have your opinion/input/direction into what you think might be useful on this new site?

Is there a case for a stimulant discussion forum on this site, or are there already enough forums in the world?

This is a chance to influence the content and style of a new national website.

Would be very grateful for any suggestions you may have.

Thanks.

Last edited:
No, I'm currently employed by an NGO alcohol and drug service to develop their resources. I have a great deal of freedom in the content and style of the resources though.
I've been a worker in the alcohol and drug field for many years and have been making educational resources for the last few.
Cheers.

Last edited:
Let me give you a tip.

You are not going to get people discussing illegal substances on a government run website.

Maybe see if you can divert some of that cash from the government grant into a donation for BL?

nabollocks said:
Let me give you a tip.

You are not going to get people discussing illegal substances on a government run website.

Maybe see if you can divert some of that cash from the government grant into a donation for BL?

I agree. It's not a government website though. They fund us to develop resources for us. We are a health service. The rules regarding privacy and confidentiality of details are the same as for our clients or other sites such as counselling online

It will be similar to something like Talk to Frank.

Anything you've always thought they should put on sites like that?

The suggestion of a donation to BL is a good idea.

Yeah thats what worries me. Anything to do with the government will just be the same "Just say no, all drugs are bad". Getting a government grant makes me think they will be pissed off if you have any info regarding harm reduction.

Try it out, on your website have something dedicated to pill testing or testing your stimulants with testers. The government is very anti pill testing (well howards was i duno about who ever our current pm is). Id like more info generally about what sorta layout and outward ideas you have planned for this site.

Im sorry for sounding like a bit of a dick. But I contributed to the PDI or the ERDs thinking it might be good for health services and that people should know about drug trends. All they did was harshen drug laws. Il never communicate with them again and I wish no body would. They don't really care, it's mearly a way of spying on drug trends so screw them.

What sort of conditions are on the grant?

Safe using practices, especially with regards to injecting. Dispel common myths (i.e. those perpetuated by all government drug campaigns of the last 50 years or so), give advice on filtering, hygiene, needle exchange programs etc. Also safe & unsafe smoking habits? (a bit off-topic, has research been done towards the likelihood of catching hep c or something from sharing pipes?)

Reagent testing, washing gear to remove impurities, etc.

How far are you willing to go in terms of "harm minimisation" before you reign in your efforts because they might be portrayed as supporting drug use and hence a conflict of interest with your funders?

You could always browse the stickied threads and f.a.q.s here for starters :)

Thanks guys.

static_mind: it's not really a good idea to divulge too much about the thoughts we have for the site. Strategically this could bring it undone. I wrote you a long PM but lost it when I found out I can't PM yet...
There are very few conditions on the project. Just to try and provide something that is engaging for those who have previously not been engaged. To me this means provide something of use to the punter. Within the law I suppose. It's pretty open at the moment so pill testing and testers is on the list - thanks. Sorry about your experience of PDI.

belarki: thanks for the suggestions. Not sure yet how far we can go?
I've been reading a lot of the stickies and faq's (far too long on them at work some might say...).

Mmmm. If 10 years of Howard is anything to go by, there really isn't such thing as a truly independent, significant NGO in Australia, with possibly the exception of the ADF. I may have missed it, but what is the name of your NGO? There are enough academics on Bluelight to be able to support your call for help, if you can persuade the forum of your track record to date...
It might be harder if you represent one of the bigger organizations that has stayed silent, or worse sided with the pollies in the past, on issues such as pill testing or sniffer dogs, or if your aims are 'drug prevention' rather than 'harm minimization'...

Personally, I grew up being told to "just say no." So natrually, I said "no" for a while and then said "yes! yes! yes!" and took a bunch of drugs. Whe I first started, I was careless, crossing my fingers and trusting people that I definately should not have. Then I began reading HR sites such as Bluelight, Erowid and Pill Reports and slowly learned more about how what I was putting in my body was meant to alter me and how to ensure that I was actually taking what I intended to. And this research effectively eliminated a lot of the unsafe practicies from my drug use. Now, I do my best to contribute to the HR sites, doing what I can to help others make safer, more knowledable choices. And in doing that, I know that I am doing more good for the drug community that Howard/Rudd was/is simply by the shaking of head "no."

I am mainly an ecstasy user. And as ecstasy is both the second most popular drug in Australia and the most popular first 'hard drug' that young Aussies try, I feel that if we can target this crowd for effective HR techniques, as a generation, their improved maturity will soon branch out into the other drug scenes, causing those to become more resonsible as well. Obviously, PR is doing a great job at doing that, but pill testing isn't the only means of education, and I think you should keep the popularity of this drug in mind as you spend your money.

Just curious, but does your employer staff any experienced drug users, either past users or current? I think a lot of us resent the "just say no" approach because it is enforced by a group of people who laregly have no drug experience at all. Ask a lot of the intelligent, educated and responsible/resourceful users out there, and they will swear up and down that drugs have improved their lives immensely (that is not to say that some bad does come with the good, but same goes for lots of legal interests). We resent people telling us that we should not be entitled entitled to visit such greener pastures (this is largely concerning psycedelliacs such as LSD, MDMA, etc.), when they do not phenomenally/personally even know what those shades of green look like. We truly and wholeheartedly see drugs like LSD and MDMA as comparable, if not even richer, in experience to other activities like extreme sports, medidation, yoga, shamanism, higher education, etc. Yes, we are angered that others don't want to allow us to choose drugs as well as the other aforementioned lifestyles. But we are just as much saddened that others will never want to come to understand, either through experiences or vicariously, things that we are very greatful to have come to know.

And while arguments over legalisation can only be argued with respect to only personal experience in an idealized society (legalisation arguments are interwoven with many other political issues, such as organized crime, foreign relations, etc.), our government could effectively unbundle the drug debate into a political piece and a HR piece. Politicians can make rational arguments concerning the former, and we can decide about them like any other issue. Concerning the latter, us users will repsond much better to them if we feel at all like we are being respected as human beings who are capable of learning to responsibly use drugs, not a bunch of degenerates.

Concerning your grant, since it is from the government, yes, there definately could be a conflict of interests if you take the advice of bluelighters. I don't know much at all about such technicalities, but can they ask for the grant back if they don't like the website you make?

Simply put, you won't have the means to create a site that is on par with PR, BL, or Erowid. So concerning pill testing, message forums, and trip reports, you should leave that stuff to what's established. Though you should most definately advertise for and provide links to the big three from your website. But for uniqueness, it is difficult because the big three sits have tons of intelligent and thoughtful people on them, so pretty much everything original has been suggested and/or implemented.

Do you absolutely need to build a website? I think the best use for the grant would be for advertising the big three. I don't know how many times I've mentioned them to other users and they have no idea what I am talking about. I assume that because they are all legal sites, that advertising for them would be the same as advertising for any other website. Surely you would need to discuss this with the owners of the sites beforehand, but I think it's very important that every young Australian know what they are, even if their choices don't requite them to use them.

haha, just was in the mood for a rant.

Last edited:
Redleader said:
Simply put, you won't have the means to create a site that is on par with PR, BL, or Erowid. So concerning pill testing, message forums, and trip reports, you should leave that stuff to what's established. Though you should most definately advertise for and provide links to the big three from your website. But for uniqueness, it is difficult because the big three sits have tons of intelligent and thoughtful people on them, so pretty much everything original has been suggested and/or implemented.

Thanks Redleader. I really appreciate the rant - and the insight, and will take it on board.

I agree that it would be foolish to try and replicate anything like BL, PR or Erowid. They are excellent sites and the first port of call for up to date information. Would be better just to refer to them and support them.

I do also think that if you can present information in a variety of ways you will reach a variety of people. Just plan to add to the variety and maybe reach some like those you described.

Sorry dribble- I may have missed it, but have you mentioned what agency you are working for yet? It might help...

Sorry drplatypus, I saw your earlier post on this and I've been having trouble with it. I know it would be useful, but my problem is if I name the organisation, (in this small industry) I name myself.

I'm not good in public.

how do you get people to trust you if you don't let people know which agency you work for ?

Hi Dribble welcome to BL. I can understand that you won't name who you work for - me neither :)

I think the general comment above is basically right - you won't be able to put up any worthwhile info that isn't already out there in the interweb. Better to link to existing sites like Erowid, BL.

An interesting angle to take might be to try and frame your website as a nexus between official websites (like Drug Info, Counselling Online etc) and drug user websites. Linking safer using practices with research for example.

Also - my personal observation, but in places where the majority of people who access needle exchanges are primarily opioid injectors, people who only inject ATS are less likely to go to exchanges, or even realise that exchanges are for them. Redressing this could be a project for your site too.

wow i wish i had been listening to those funding rounds i got a site right to go, well like platapus said im sure if you look closely at the funding arrangements there would have to be something in there. if not i would be very surprised.

but you know once you get into the politics of money its hard to get your own way all the way.

there is plenty of research in journals and other sites that would be able to suit your need, i would def spend money on a good lawyer to create your disclaimer though.

i hink a good focus would be on furhter promoting moderation

Thanks madmick for the suggestions. Will be interesting to see - I'll do my best.