Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: Age Blogs (All Men Are Liars) - 15/09/08 'Cocaine'

hoptis

Bluelight Crew
Cocaine
by Sam de Brito
16/09/08

Some weekends ago I went out for a quiet drink and got home at eight the next morning, having spent a thousand dollars on cocaine.

I rarely do drugs nowadays because when I do, I end up getting home at eight in the morning having spent a thousand dollars on cocaine. Call it poor impulse control.

On the Tuesday after my fall from grace, having successfully avoided razor blades, toasters in the bathtub and sunlight, I realised how much I dislike what cocaine does to me.

In 12 hours under its influence I lied to friends so I could have more coke, talked huge amounts of deep and meaningless shit, slunk around nightclub dunnies waiting to inhale, not to mention breaking the law ...

And then there was the creep factor: whatever restraint I usually exercise over my libido is cast aside once the devil's dandruff takes over - I can rationalise almost any perversity on the rack.

Which is not the drug's fault, the perversity has to be there, but when I'm straight it's easier to maintain them as fantasies; I can keep the creep at the back of his cave.

With cocaine, all bets are off; the creep moves to the front of the cave and throws rocks at passersby. I become, in short, the most repulsive of stereotypes - the rack head.

In his cult classic book Snowblind: A Brief Career in the Cocaine Trade, Robert Sabbag writes that "cocaine is the caviar of the drug market ... to snort cocaine is to make a statement. It's like flying to Paris for breakfast."

Perhaps that was the case in New York in 1976 when Sabbag's book was published but in Australia, circa 2008, snorting the blanco diablo is like stumbling into O'Porto's for a chicken burger.

It's pedestrian, predictable and more to the point, boooooring, especially if you're at dinner with two rack daddies and their chicks, all who think they're fascinating, don't eat and spend half the night chopping up in the bathroom.

The pathetic thing about this sideshow is that nowhere in the world do you pay so much for so little.

There price of a gram in this country is anywhere between $250 to $400, news of which causes Europeans to shake their heads sympathetically, Americans to laugh mockingly and South Americans to phone home to shady relatives.

Then there is the terrible quality of the local product which makes dealers and nightclub connoisseurs raving about their "Ferrari" gear sound like shoeshine boys discussing the derivatives market.

Coke is everywhere at the moment: suburban pubs, the races, hen's parties, A-list events, Mad Monday celebrations, even weddings, where bride and groom prefer six hours on the rack to experiencing "the greatest day of their life".

The Australian Crime Commission reported a 635 percent increase in detections for 2006-07 (610kgs) compared to 2005-06 (83kgs).

This surge has also proliferated the urban myths perpetuated by coke's glass-eyed devotees; that it's non-addictive, increases men's sexual prowess, it's a clean drug that gives you no hangover, that it somehow attracts a 'better' type of user.

What it attracts is a type of man who uses 'Australia's greatest pick-up line' (white and eight cms long) to lure women into bathrooms for a game known as Happy Trails.

There, girls who 'hover' over toilet seats to avoid germs lick their fingers to swab public toilet cisterns for the last crumbs of booger sugar then loiter around these pseudo-Casanovas in the hope of a free bump that costs less than their cab fare home.

In the late 1800s, Viennese physician Emil Erlenmeyer, in response to his colleague Sigmund Freud's enthusiastic championing of cocaine, deemed the drug the "third scourge of the race" after alcohol and morphine.

Freud, who preferred an oral dose of pharmaceutical Charlie of between 0.05 and 0.10 grams dissolved in water, considered cocaine a wonder drug and wrote six papers on its virtues including the seminal Uber Coca.

However, street cocaine is far from the pure Freud gorged on and is often cut with anything from talcum powder, lactose, dextrose, speed, laxatives, clenbuterol, novocaine, procaine and Borax.

Yet still we pay, the reasoning being, "if it's selling it for $400 a gram, it must be cocaine" which also explains how diet teas and $500 moisturisers like La Mer find a market.

And then there's this chestnut: when you share a banknote to snort, you're also embracing the possibility of Hepatitis. The blood vessels in your nostrils can rupture doing any drug nasally so that curled $50 may also be buying you a lifelong case of liver trouble.

Comedian Robin Williams famously said: "Cocaine is god's way of saying you are making too much money" but I reckon its true character is that of moral disintegrator.

Says one anonymous poet: "It'll make a schoolboy forget his books, a beauty queen her looks, take a renowned speaker and make a bore, a mother and make her a whore."

It's an overpriced sham: If I can think of one benefit of cocaine, it's that it has single-handedly taught America the metric system.

Though you still have to buy gallons and pounds in the USA even the most strung-out coke bunny knows there's 28.3 grams in an ounce.

Same here was a great read and interesting to the trends, here in nz meth/ice is expensive but coke isnt, waiting for people to turn to a cheaper alternative now lol. All the meth dealers of past years have gone to pushing coke (or both) here in wellington, sign of the times, seems to be the new 'crack' atm.

That's a good read. I must say coke has got to be my favourite drug I hate it when it is cut with shit though but luckily for me I have never gotten really shit coke...

It's good the price of it is slowly dropping but it will never reach the same prices as over in Europe and the U.S unfortuantly... I have noticed in the last year that more and more coke dealers seem to be popping up but I still go to my same source because they all seem to cut it more and push shit.

[EDIT: Not the smartest thing to say. hoptis]

Last edited by a moderator:
lol great article that.

haven't touched charlie in a very long time. there has been too much shit floating around. fuck if you're gonna pay the prices quoted in the article.. (and trust me i've seen people trying to peddle the shit for higher)
then you may aswell buy a gram of ice. crush it up and rail that instead.

but meh.. i've always preferred ice over coke.

lsd wins epicly over all other drugs :)

Sounds like someone was coming down... Does an article like this count as evidence?

js2k6 said:
lsd wins epicly over all other drugs :)

Over all other mainstream drugs for sure! =D

Maybe some debate in comparison to other psychedelics. I've never laughed so hard as I've laughed on the 'cid; never had anything make me feel like I was 5 years old again and the whole world was wonderful, exciting and new. That said I've had some terrifying experiences on acid too. You certainly get the extremes at both ends of the spectrum.

^ Too true, it'll always be on of the most amazing drugs too me.

Always had a slight interest to try coke.. but not enough appeal for me to bother hehe..

I never understood cocaine. It wasn't euphoric for me, and it made me have the most awkward dreams. I figured it to be the most overrated drug out there. And ya, I tried good quality stuff.

Then I tried smoking crack. To this day, I have never felt instant, in-your-face, extreme euphoria like that. And I probably never again will, since I won't let myself anywhere near it. Crack may me the sleeziest of all drugs, but man that shit feels reeeeeeel good.

Redleader said:
I never understood cocaine. It wasn't euphoric for me, and it made me have the most awkward dreams. I figured it to be the most overrated drug out there. And ya, I tried good quality stuff.

Mos def overrated; movies make it out to be the king of all drugs but in reality, when snorted, it's actually subtle compared to many other substances. Not that that makes it less addictive or anything.

It's very glamorous though. %)

another vote for overrated! certainly not worth the money people in aust pay for it. lasts like 20 minutes, then you feel like shit. those 20 minutes are quiet good though.

Verybuffed said:
I enjoyed reading that, it was an entertaining and informative article.

Agreed. I might try it when I win lotto. So this weekend I'll let you know how it goes ;)

I would love to see Sam write about something besides coke in his blog.

It is most definitely overrated but their is just something about it that keeps me going back for more... It's been 2 months since I last used so I guess that's a good thing on my wallet lol...

Last edited:
I liked it.

Thank you bluelight.

Articles like this assisted me in forming my "no coke" policy along time ago.

the main problem with coke, besides its shithouse 'quality' on our shores, lies within its core consumership. just as it does with ice and heroin.

only with coke, you're not necessarily dealing exclusively with welfare-dependents, but a seedy underclass of white-collar, white trash with too many dollars & not enough sense.

a raging bunch of narcissistic, sex-mad, and indeed pathological liars. it's pathetic really - all that self love, and not an ounce of class... thanks, but i'll pass.

PS: having said that, coke IV is easily one of my top 3 drug experiences. ever. no amount of snorting/smoking even does it justice - but, again, the shooting types are yet another minority group that are best to be avoided. (it's best to just bomb now & then with a bit of champagne.. or when applied to certain body parts in the bedroom *wink*)