Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Suburban mums taking ecstasy - The Courier Mail 14/09/2008

Mr Blonde

Bluelighter
Link.

Anooska Tucker-Evans and Suellen Hinde

September 14, 2008 12:00am

SUBURBAN mums are among the over-30s who have emerged as the new users of the illicit drug ecstasy, a national study has found.
Once considered a "young person's drug", ecstasy has a new following in more mature users who see it as a harmless alternative to alcohol.

Drug and Alcohol Research and Training Australia's Paul Dillon described the results as shocking. "Everyone is stunned. Everyone is thinking it's a really young person's drug but it's not," he said.

The recently released 2007 National Drug Strategy Household Survey has revealed that since 1995, the number of people aged 30 to 39 using ecstasy has increased 5.7 per cent to 6.3 per cent for men, and 2.8 per cent to 3.2 per cent for women.

Mr Dillon said mature people were turning to the drug because of misinformation about its effects.

"I talked to two women in their 30s two weeks ago and these were both divorcees, they have recently split from their husbands, they've got 15 and 16-year-old kids and they've basically discovered their second childhood," he said.

"The reason they're taking ecstasy is because they don't want to drink, because with drinking they get out of control."

The study also revealed that ecstasy was the second most popular illegal drug, behind cannabis, in Australia.

Mr Dillon said the only way to reduce people's use of drugs was through education, including making them aware of penalties under the law.

Relationships Australia vice-president Anne Hollonds said she was not surprised to hear that divorced mothers were turning to ecstasy, but warned against using the substance to "rebuild" their lives.

"These are people who sometimes haven't had involvement with substances the first time round, but second time round they might, particularly to reinforce their youthfulness, to be able to fit in and all of those things because they're often quite emotionally vulnerable," she said. "There's also a lot of risks associated with that in relation to the care of the children."

Royal Brisbane Hospital director of addiction psychiatry Dr Mark Daglish said an increase in use among the 30 to 39-year age group was "expected" as this was the group taking ecstasy 15 to 20 years ago.

He said methylene-dioxy-methamphetamine (MDMA) should be the main ingredient of ecstasy, but a Queensland Police Service report had found a lot of the tablets circulating in the state were actually methamphetamines.

Detective Inspector Marty Mickelson, operations manager of the State Drug Investigative Unit, said police had found instances of dealers distributing "fake ecstasy", which contained high amounts of amphetamines, ketamine (a horse tranquiliser) and caffeine rather than MDMA. Dr Daglish said MDMA was a neurotoxin which kills brain cells and users could suffer permanent brain damage. He said that ecstasy depleted the brain's stores of the neurotransmitter serotonin, which affects brain functions including mood, sleep, appetite and impulse control.

There have been very few studies into the long-term effects of ecstasy.

I hope I can still get MDMA when I am in my 30's but who knows what the future will hold.

I know of a lot of people in their 30's and even a few in their 40's that are still in love with the drug. I know if I was stressed from work and from my kids or life in general I would love to consume some MDMA to help me forget about it for a little while.

The recently released 2007 National Drug Strategy Household Survey has revealed that since 1995, the number of people aged 30 to 39 using ecstasy has increased 5.7 per cent to 6.3 per cent for men, and 2.8 per cent to 3.2 per cent for women.

I thought the number would have been higher for female users. :\

I love when I go clubbing and I see older people rolling. I can tell that it's something special to them, a once-in-a-year night. I always try and make a point to say hello to such people, as talking with them helps me respect it more.

Mr Blonde said:
Mr Dillon said mature people were turning to the drug because of misinformation about its effects.

"I talked to two women in their 30s two weeks ago and these were both divorcees, they have recently split from their husbands, they've got 15 and 16-year-old kids and they've basically discovered their second childhood," he said.

"The reason they're taking ecstasy is because they don't want to drink, because with drinking they get out of control."

I guess the days of security through obfuscation and obscurity is no longer a working tactic in the day and age of the internet - where anyone can chuck something into google and read information and first hand accounts of what's out there. It can only be a good thing as people realise that MDMA isn't what the police make it out to be.

Even with the inflated costs of drugs in AU compared to the rest of the world, it's a viable alternative to a night out on the piss, which can add up very quickly.

Yeah what would you rather $XX for a pill or $XXX to be able to get drunk in a club seeing as drinks are about $6 each...

I know what I would choose, the one that saves me more money.

mushi mushi 88 said:
Yeah what would you rather $XX for a pill or $XXX to be able to get drunk in a club seeing as drinks are about $6 each...

I know what I would choose, the one that saves me more money.

Yeah man, $12+ for a 'premix's' (not that i drink them.. but fuck that's expensive)

^^^^ Yeah so there we go buy 2 of them and that's one pill... Now weigh it up what does 2 premix drinks do to you...? Pretty much nothing now what does 1 pill do to you...? Send you to the moon lol.

The government won't ever win especially now that the price of alcohol has gone up... What are they trying to do, turn people off buying alcohol and resort them to spending it on drugs...?

Bloody idiots I tell you what!

mushi mushi 88 said:
The government won't ever win especially now that the price of alcohol has gone up... What are they trying to do, turn people off buying alcohol and resort them to spending it on drugs...?
I'd totally have to agree, alot of friends that i went clubbing with never did pills but ever since the price of alcohol went up, they don't think alcohol is worth is it anymore and are doing pills now as it's cheaper overall in a night. I think this may have contributed to the rise in demand for pills.

Brings a grin too my face when the governments plan to tackle an issue backfires in there face bigger then they expected :D

i know heaps of people in their late 30's...early 40's takin' ecstasy....including myself.

age does not discriminate when it comes to having a good time on ecstasy.

instead of taking ecstasy and then going clubbing....some of us older users perfer to stay at home, or go to mates place...have a good feed...take some ecstasy and then talk some shit!

Reminds of this old guy i saw at some sydney club.. dude had glowsticks and was off his chops. A bloody champ i say.

^^^ Yeah I seen a lot of 40 and 50 year old early one morning raving in a morning club *boom* if any of you Brisbane people remember it... It was kind of seedy cause they were a bit bald and really sleazy.

phlegm69 said:
i know heaps of people in their late 30's...early 40's takin' ecstasy....including myself.

age does not discriminate when it comes to having a good time on ecstasy.

instead of taking ecstasy and then going clubbing....some of us older users perfer to stay at home, or go to mates place...have a good feed...take some ecstasy and then talk some shit!

thats awesome phelgma, i can see myself rolling with my mates when im 40!

Redleader said:
I love when I go clubbing and I see older people rolling. I can tell that it's something special to them, a once-in-a-year night. I always try and make a point to say hello to such people, as talking with them helps me respect it more.

I'd have to say I dissagree. It effects the aesthetic experience of somthing that should be purely hedonistic, beautiful and young. The older men come across as creepy and predatory, whilst there something intrinsically unpleasant about getting an ecstacy-fueled-stranger-hug from a woman as old as your mum. I'm not against inter-generational friendships or relationships even, but club-ecstacy culture is available to people for only a window of time. Though I can't believe I'm saying this, its a bit like having your friends parents try to add you on facebook, there are aspects of my social-life / culture-life that belong to people of my own age.

There are alot of users out there and i think the age is alot higher than what we think in regards to regular users of e.....

And yeah - you don't need to be in a club to enjoy ya self - home sweet home is just as good...

Fab cheap night out in my books :)

moderateuser said:
I'd have to say I dissagree. It effects the aesthetic experience of somthing that should be purely hedonistic, beautiful and young. The older men come across as creepy and predatory, whilst there something intrinsically unpleasant about getting an ecstacy-fueled-stranger-hug from a woman as old as your mum. I'm not against inter-generational friendships or relationships even, but club-ecstacy culture is available to people for only a window of time. Though I can't believe I'm saying this, its a bit like having your friends parents try to add you on facebook, there are aspects of my social-life / culture-life that belong to people of my own age.

I guess I feel like not everyone had their chance to experience it at our age, whether it was a conscious choice or just that they were never exposed to it. So ya, people who have been addicted to it for 20 years now are creepy yes, but the ones who really are "feeling like kids again," well I do feed off of their experieces. Haha, put a few pills in me and I am their best friends too. I never partied in high school and if it were not for a few random events, I would still be a straight-edger. So I guess it's a personal thing for me, but I missed out on the whole HS thing and wish I could have experienced it, so I can see the analogy.

I definately see your point, though. I am all for settings being made as "hedonistic" as possible. And ya, hedonism does not allow for balding heads or wrinkles. If there was a polite way for clubs to have "young people only" night, you could go to that and I could go to that as well as another night there. I guess I am just lucky in that when I have good pills, rational talk goes out the window and my current situation is heaven.

moderateuser said:

Hmmmm, share and share alike moderateuser, us oldies like a good night out too, and not to prey and perve on younger ones, get yourself to a good bush doof and see the diverse age groups and cultures. Doof doof and e isn't only for the young ones. Two weeks ago I was in Ibiza seeing Tiesto surrounded by 10,000 people, quite frankly I didn't care who was around me (well apart from my good woman that is), I was enjoying the music and enjoying the night.

PLUR moderateuser PLUR :)

baysieguy1 said:
get yourself to a good bush doof and see the diverse age groups and cultures. Doof doof and e isn't only for the young ones. PLUR moderateuser PLUR :)

Oh absolutely, I really only had saturdaynight club-culture in mind. From what I've apprehended the bush doof scene seems to be way more of an intergenerational community, as apposed to an aggregate of young people just trying to get away from the rest of the world for one night a week.