• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

combination of Straterra and DL-phenylalanine- increased adrenaline?

TRPPNASS_DSCOMONKE

Bluelighter
straterra is a norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor, and dl-pheylalanine is a precursor to it. so if you were to take straterra then the dlpa wouldnt this equate to an increased amount of adrenaline in the system? or would it be noradrenaline?

i took the dlpa first on accident today then straterra about 3 hours later. so ill post the results if any are noted.

Hypertension?

Thats the main effect I would expect... I avoid dlpa with amps and a NARI would be even worse...

DLphenylalanine is not a precursor to adrenaline. Noradrenaline is.

L-phenylalanine metabolizes into tyrosine, then l-tyrosine metabolizes into l-dopa, then l-dopa metabolizes into dopamine, and then dopamine into norepinephrine. D-phenylalanine just inhibits breakdown of phenethylamine and maybe beta-endorpin.

Strattera just inhibits reuptake of norepinephrine, so it really has no effect on the levels of adrenaline in your system.

Strattera just inhibits reuptake of norepinephrine, so it really has no effect on the levels of adrenaline in your system.

I'm sorry to put this rudely, but that's just ridiculous and incorrect. Inhibiting the reuptake of norepinephrine is definitely going to produce higher blood levels of epinephrine (adrenaline). The more you inhibit the norepinephrine reuptake pump, the more adrenaline.

Last edited:
grue said:
I'm sorry to put this rudely, but that's just ridiculous and incorrect. Inhibiting the reuptake of norepinephrine is definitely going to produce higher blood levels of epinephrine (adrenaline). The more you inhibit the norepinephrine reuptake pump, the more adrenaline.

Nope, because adrenaline isn't made in neurones, it's source is the adrenal gland (hence the name) and noradrenaline reuptake inhibitors do bog all w.r.t. the adrenal gland.

Maybe take a bit of time before going down the rude route in future =D

neuropinephrine is the receptor in strattera which is similar to adrenaline, this can cause an adrenaline rush, i think

^Yes, you think. It's effects are similiar to adrenaline although not the same completely. Thus a noradrenaline rush may be indiscenernable to insensitive from an adrenaline rush. An adrenaline rush is like when you experience sudden fear like when you're about to be chased and ripped apart by a wild animal. Noradrenaline rush is more like in sex when you're about to orgasm.

The adrenergic receptor (noradrenaline binding site) is not in strattera. The strattera molecule comes in and prevents reuptake pumps from taking out norepiphrine from the receptor.
Jesus christ, i am really fucking high right now. O_O

Dr. Horwath seems to say otherwise.

Atomoxetine inhibits noradrenaline uptake, not adrenaline uptake, but I didn't say that atomoxetine directly affects adrenaline transmission, I said that elevated norepinephrine is simply going to result in elevated adrenaline.

Functionally, the sum of these effects from atomoxetine make a potentiated fight-or-flight-type response in combination with dl-phenylalanine quite likely.

Nope, because adrenaline isn't made in neurones, it's source is the adrenal gland (hence the name) and noradrenaline reuptake inhibitors do bog all w.r.t. the adrenal gland.

Maybe take a bit of time before going down the rude route in future

I regret the rudeness, but the (sort of) selective NRIs atomoxetine and reboxetine elevate plasma cortisol and ACTH. If you think that doesn't trigger a downstream peripheral adrenaline release, you're way off.

Methylphenidate, too, definitely increases circulating adrenaline (despite, in most but not all research a relative selectivity for dopamine uptake pumps -- I know of at least two other papers that rate its affinity at norepinephrine uptake as more substantial than at dopamine reuptake), and it's not the dopaminergic activity that does most of that, although (for instance) increasing striatal dopamine release plays a part.

Atomoxetine has a well-documented pressor effect, and the paper "Hemodynamic Effects of Acute Administration of Atomoxetine and Methylphenidate
Kelly et al. J Clin Pharmacol .2005; 45: 851-855 " shows elevated circulating adrenaline 3-4 hours after atomoxetine or methylphendiate administration.

elevate plasma cortisol and ACTH. If you think that doesn't trigger a downstream peripheral adrenaline release, you're way off.

But that's not a directly related to increased noradrenaline levels. Those reuptake inhibitors prevent reuptake in neurones (increasing synaptic levels - outside of that the noradrenaline is rapidly metabolized), but it's not neurones that synthesize adrenaline in the adrenal gland

although (for instance) increasing striatal dopamine release plays a part.

Methylphenidate is purely a reuptake inhibitor, it doesn't cause dopamine release like amphetamine does

Functionally, the sum of these effects from atomoxetine make a potentiated fight-or-flight-type response in combination with dl-phenylalanine quite likely.

Well the path from phenylalanine to noradrenaline goes via dopamine and dopamine exerts a negative feedback effect on tyrosine hydroxylase, so it's going to have negligable effects on noradrenaline levels (which also inhibits tyrosine hydroxylase)

Whats all this talk about norepinephrine being a good thing? its the fight or flight chemical, it causes anxiety and stress why would you want to increase that?

But that's not a directly related to increased noradrenaline levels. Those reuptake inhibitors prevent reuptake in neurones (increasing synaptic levels - outside of that the noradrenaline is rapidly metabolized), but it's not neurones that synthesize adrenaline in the adrenal gland

I would say there is obviously a feedback response. I never claimed that the effect was direct; simply that, directly or not, norepinephrine reuptake inhibition is going to increase blood levels of cortisol and ACTH, which are going to increase circulating adrenaline. These elevations subsequent to NRI are documented in research.

Tsukasa: Again, I apologize for my dumb rudeness. I simply thought this was established, not a matter of dispute.

Methylphenidate is purely a reuptake inhibitor, it doesn't cause dopamine release like amphetamine does

Yeah, my error, I meant to write "striatal dopamine transmission".

Well the path from phenylalanine to noradrenaline goes via dopamine and dopamine exerts a negative feedback effect on tyrosine hydroxylase, so it's going to have negligable effects on noradrenaline levels (which also inhibits tyrosine hydroxylase)

By your formula, how would endogenous, or rather non-supplemented production of norepinephrine by beta-oxidation of dopamine, from l-dopa, from l-tyrosine from l-phenylalanine occur at all?

Supplemental l-tyrosine and l-phenylalanine are known to potentially increase blood pressure, and fight fatigue. These are noradrenergic effects. Pure dopaminergics are typically sedative. If supplementing phenylalanine only caused a significant increase in dopamine, its side effect profile would likewise tend towards sedative effects, hypotension, etc.

D-phenylalanine, if it leads to any significant, relevant increase in PEA, is going to increase norepinephrine transmission that way as well.

Whats all this talk about norepinephrine being a good thing? its the fight or flight chemical, it causes anxiety and stress why would you want to increase that?

It's not 'the' only fight-or-flight chemical. 'All things are with poison ... the dose makes the poison'. It's a neurotransmitter. Without it you'd be dead, and with too little of it you would be in a coma, etc. Too much, as you mentioned, is associated with fear, anxiety, stress, and at extreme levels perhaps stroke, etc.

It can facilitate concentration and reduced hyperactivity by leading to a stimulation of prefrontal structures -- this is the effect presumably sought with atomoxetine.

With norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors as antidepressants, the benefits IMO are likely to be downstream, a consequence of regulatory responses.

I certainly think that there are situations or bounds within you would not want increased norepinephrine transmission, as dependent on individual variations and considerations. For instance, in my individual case, for various reasons I mentioned elsewhere* I have been lead to an interest in inhibiting overall norepinephrine transmission from my medicine regimen, perhaps by adding theanine or guanfacine as adjunct to my d-amp.

*(classic (nor)adrenergic side effects like appetite suppression, and because of what I believe is a possible decrement in cognitive flexibility, and functionally, creativity)

Last edited:
By your formula, how would endogenous, or rather non-supplemented production of norepinephrine by beta-oxidation of dopamine, from l-dopa, from l-tyrosine from l-phenylalanine occur at all?

Because dopamine & noradrenaline are competetive inhibitors of tyrosine hydroxylase, so it's a simple case of enzyme kinetics. It results in an optimal concentration for both dopamine & noradrenaline (Michalis-Menten graphs and all that stuff)

Supplemental l-tyrosine and l-phenylalanine are known to potentially increase blood pressure, and fight fatigue. These are noradrenergic effects.

Dopamine is a clinically used pressor agent and is also involved in the activation of the reticular activating system, which is involved in the regulation of conciousness, so no they're not purely noradrenergic effects.

Pure dopaminergics are typically sedative

Drugs that are exclusively dopaminergic reuptake inhibitors generally have CNS stimulant properties because of the above mentioned effect of dopamine on the reticular activating system

If supplementing phenylalanine only caused a significant increase in dopamine, its side effect profile would likewise tend towards sedative effects, hypotension, etc.

Well somebody had better tell hospital A&E/ER departments that they shouldn't be using dopamine as a pressor amine. Besides I never said that phenylalanine only increased dopamine levels, you inferred that (incorrectly) from one of my earlier statements then cited it as fact later

D-phenylalanine, if it leads to any significant, relevant increase in PEA, is going to increase norepinephrine transmission that way as well.

By what mechanism? PEA is metabolised by MAO-B exclusively, but noradrenaline is subject to metabolism by other methods as well, such as catechol-O-methyl transferase (cOMT) which is totally unaffected by d-phenylalanine

It's not 'the' only fight-or-flight chemical

It's not even the main one; adrenaline & cortisol are the main compounds associated with the 'fight or flight' response