Film & Television

Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Circular-panning Camera thingy - please make it stop!

Jamshyd

Bluelight Crew
I noticed that several new movies (including Dark Knight) make excessive use of this technique, not sure if it has a technical name. It is basically a panning camera that goes in circles around (usually) a group of characters.

I think this is fine when the characters are engaged in fast-paced action. But when they're merely talking?? WTF? This is one of the most jarring and visually-annoying experiences I've ever had.

i don't mind it, but i prefer it when it is slower.

certain times i have seen it used for a good effect... the rough, jagged feeling of homicide: life on the street television show camerawork
and then there is the roundabout camera of the circle in that 70's show
i agree with fast action panning but i also believe it can add subtle depth effects when it is used very slowly and in combination with the correct mood setting music. i will be back with an example for this.

I'd agree there are relevant uses of that type of panning; but, like normal lateral panning it's often superfluous. In Team America, the way Spotswood is constantly sliding to the left or right in his mechanical chair for no reason is a good parody of the way many filmmakers use constant motion to hold their audience's attention.

"i don't mind it, but i prefer it when it is slower."
That's what she said!

Sorry needed to be done. As for the camera rotating thing, I agree it gets over used. Especially in any Micheal Bay movie.