• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Harm Reduction The Pain Management Mega Thread - for all your questions on dealing with chronic pain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pain management will be the best for managing your pain. Other doctors aren't specialized in pain like PM docs. Theres a lot of concern for prescribing controlled substances in regards to liability. I look at it like this: If your in pain, you have the RIGHT to receive proper medical attention.

Sunset117: How old are you?

gethigh said:
idk i just ran out of there and called his nurse a fat bitch for trying to throw me into rehab for taking a 60 ct bottle of hydros every 2-3 months
60 hydros every 2 to 3 months for pain is not a fucking addiction. Doctors are retarded. I go though double that in one month, and I dont have an addiction. Some people require opiates to actually function without worrying about pain. That doctor should go get some painful condition and have his doctor call him an addict. hes a giant fuckhead... and im glad you spit in his face!

and they dont kknow the difference between dependence and addiction
im going to either get a dsm IV from my shrink today or buy one and show him the difference as it is recognized by the dsm IV

(((((get high))))_____
my surgeon told me the same thing. he said that i should have no pain. Shit I had a Spinal fusion, and since u had one you know how bad it hurts, and said I should be out of the hospital in 7 days and off narcs in 3 months. I go back and say I have pain, and the dude is completely lost....

surgeons are horrible with office hours or rounds and think everyone should be "perfect" with the end product cuz they cant admit they screwed up

my first doctor, i had a fusion and went in 1 year later. said i still had pain...he looked at my x-ray and said it looked good.
I asked for pain meds cuz I hurt, and my dad vouched for me, and I got 5mg oxycodones...

2 weeks later I go to another doctor (my dad's homey from med school) and within 30 seconds of looking at the x-ray said that my back is unfused and needs surgery...basicaly i had an infection from the 1st one not be sanitary...can u blieve that

EVERYONE will be come dependent on ANY medication they take for a long period of time, to a point. I understand dependence occurs quickly with opioid agonists, but thats not a reason to prevent one from pain management. A doctors job is to weigh the risks with the benefits. I'm so glad that I have the pain doctor I have. She is the first doctor who actually doesn't give a shit what the drug is, just as long as her patients live a normal and pain-free life. I just got fentanyl patches. I don't think their helping the way I expected, but I think its great that shes willing to goto those measures for a 22 year old patient. She realizes my options are A) lay in bed all the time, B) Suicide, or C) Pain free and successful.

It would be a dream and a half to be able to find a doctor who specialized in say, ruptured/herniated/blown backs who THEM THEMSELVES have the same disorder, sounds like you might be one of those people soon gethigh? It has been a goal of mine to continue in the med field (become a registered dietitian) and somehow incorporate my knowledge and exerperiece of my ailments to someday help those with the same problems.

^ douche bag doctor story, when I first got diagnosed, dr.douche gave me a steroid injection in my hip, said this will make you feel great and fix your back (HA). he gave it to me, I made it to the elevator, had a bad reaction (possible anaphalyatic (sp)) and passed out in the elevator and busted my head open upon hitting the floor, crawled back into the office bleeding and he said well, your head might be split, but I bet your back feels better. I wished he had fallen into a dirty needle bin at that point.

sunset117 said:
(((((get high))))_____
my surgeon told me the same thing. he said that i should have no pain. Shit I had a Spinal fusion, and since u had one you know how bad it hurts, and said I should be out of the hospital in 7 days and off narcs in 3 months. I go back and say I have pain, and the dude is completely lost....

surgeons are horrible with office hours or rounds and think everyone should be "perfect" with the end product cuz they cant admit they screwed up

my first doctor, i had a fusion and went in 1 year later. said i still had pain...he looked at my x-ray and said it looked good.
I asked for pain meds cuz I hurt, and my dad vouched for me, and I got 5mg oxycodones...

2 weeks later I go to another doctor (my dad's homey from med school) and within 30 seconds of looking at the x-ray said that my back is unfused and needs surgery...basicaly i had an infection from the 1st one not be sanitary...can u blieve that
yes my doc said none of his patients have pain post op

nguboi said:
It would be a dream and a half to be able to find a doctor who specialized in say, ruptured/herniated/blown backs who THEM THEMSELVES have the same disorder, sounds like you might be one of those people soon gethigh? It has been a goal of mine to continue in the med field (become a registered dietitian) and somehow incorporate my knowledge and exerperiece of my ailments to someday help those with the same problems.

^ douche bag doctor story, when I first got diagnosed, dr.douche gave me a steroid injection in my hip, said this will make you feel great and fix your back (HA). he gave it to me, I made it to the elevator, had a bad reaction (possible anaphalyatic (sp)) and passed out in the elevator and busted my head open upon hitting the floor, crawled back into the office bleeding and he said well, your head might be split, but I bet your back feels better. I wished he had fallen into a dirty needle bin at that point.
i plan on being an anesthesiologist and be a pain doc and help people like me.

well it will be the best job for my condition, as a anesthesiologist i can sit down all day, and working with other anesthesiologists, they can rx me pain pills and monitor me so i dont kill someone.

^^^
Isnt it true that a doctor cant prescribe medications for themselves?

i meant a doc that works with me so he can make sure im not working fucked up

^^^
Oh, but isn't it true that a doctor cant prescribe themselves "anything" or is this a myth?

Merging question about pain management clinic into the pain management mega thread.

nguboi said:
Hello everyone. I recently have been thinking about going to pain management for management because of my daily pain. I have MRI proof of Ruptured disc and DDD and a BAD case of IBS, and am wondering about peoples thought process on if It is a good Idea to go to a pain management clinic.

Here is my story, summed up and full.

Basically I am a 22 year old recent college graduate who has been diagnosed via MRI with Degenerative Disc Disease, and 2 ruptured disc, between my L4-L5-S1. I have done physical Therapy at least 3-4 times since i was diagnosed when I was 16, have had numerous steroid injections, and actually recently had a Cortico Steroid shot into my Spinal cord (FUCKING OUCH). \Well, recently I was also diagnosed with IBS and it has just been KILLING me lately, it overrides my back pain and sometimes I cant even work/stand up.

I am in good shape, 6'2 170 ex collegiate athlete/high school athlete with a B.S in health and exercise science (so I know very very well about health and such). Since being diagnosed recently with IBS and a worsening in my DDD, my life has just seemed to fall to shit. Ive been through alot in the doctors office, from 3 MRI's proving my back is worsening, to steroid injections, to 3 CT scans for IBS, blood and urine analysis's and recently some medicine that is not helping my IBS, I have lost motivation for allot of things in life due to my pain. It used to be very manageable as a teen, but recently not one day goes by where either my IBS acts up or my back does not hurt to the point to where it makes life very difficult.

I have been prescribed Hydrocodone a few times (7.5, usually #30 or so) by a godsend of a Doctor (my last doctor was a total cockface and basically told me that I am to young to be in that much pain, even when the MRI showed i had herniated disc as a teen, and promptly gave me tylenol and muscle relaxer), whose husband had a spinal fusion so she knows first hand how bad the pain can be. The medicine helps somewhat, but I have NEVER had complete pain relief, even taking 2-3 of them at a time, they just kinda take the edge off, but I am still in pain.

So what I am trying to determine is if taking that next step to go to a pain management facility and see what they can offer. I honestly cannot live in this amount of pain that I am in on a daily basis, but I also am very concerned about addiction/tolerance if I am put on a bigger dose of pain meds, but its for legit pain.

What have other people in this situation done, what can I expect if I go to a pain management clinic, do they drug test you before they put you on something? I quit smoking weed a while back after I graduated college so I could look for jobs (God smoking made the pain so much more bareable) and I just want something regardless of future problems that will help put my life back on the right path. My life has seemed to fall apart because of the amount of pain I am in, I used to be a very active, great attitude person, but now I just feel like a 80 year old man crying and writhering in pain. THANK YOu

Hey man. I have the EXACT disc problems that you do. DDD, ruptured L5-S1 and herniated L4-L5. It took me months to finally get into a pain doc myself. I had to switch my GP to finally get in. In MY case at my pain clinic they DO drug test you before prescribing anything stronger than darvocet. It may not be like that everywhere, but it is here in Tulsa. They also have random drug tests and pill counts. So I suggest, and I'm sure you would anyway, that you take what you are given EXACTLY as prescribed. These people do not screw around when it comes to their policies regarding narcotics. You will most likely have to sign a contract with them about narcotic medications. That said, once you do get in and pass a drug test, he/she will more than likely give you something for the pain and schedule some Epidural Steroid Injections. These are painless and can help. Sometimes it takes more than one injection though.
I get my second one next monday, the first one did not work. But, my aunt had to have three and she is finally better. So, do not give up; someone out there will actually give a shit that you are in pain and will help you.

hydrocodone tolerance

I've been on Vicodin 5/500 for the past 5 years, due to Rheumatoid Arthritis. In that time I've seen my Vicodin use jump from 100 tab/month to 450ish tab/month (between GP and Rheumatologist)...more to do with tolerance than an actual increase in pain. At this point, I really want to see if I can lower my tolerance to hydrocodone back down to more manageable levels but am unsure of the best way to go about it. Tramadol has worked okayish for me in the past, so I'm curious, if I were to switch to tramadol, would it lower the tolerance and how long would I need to go before I'd get back to a more normal level of tolerance to hydrocodone?

william1985 said:
^^^
Oh, but isn't it true that a doctor cant prescribe themselves "anything" or is this a myth?

Thats incorrect, they cannot prescribe themselves controls, but thats it.

Aside from that, most docs wont prescribes docs they work with controls either. It creates a conflict of interest. Additionally, most anesthetists work alone unless if it is a major surgery, so few (if any) will be looking over your shoulder to "make sure you don't kill anyone".

Kechara said:
I've been on Vicodin 5/500 for the past 5 years, due to Rheumatoid Arthritis. In that time I've seen my Vicodin use jump from 100 tab/month to 450ish tab/month (between GP and Rheumatologist)...more to do with tolerance than an actual increase in pain. At this point, I really want to see if I can lower my tolerance to hydrocodone back down to more manageable levels but am unsure of the best way to go about it. Tramadol has worked okayish for me in the past, so I'm curious, if I were to switch to tramadol, would it lower the tolerance and how long would I need to go before I'd get back to a more normal level of tolerance to hydrocodone?

Use less. Its pretty much the only way to lower a tolerance.

The tramadol unfortunately wont do much to lower your tolerance, itll act like a placeholder but thats about it.

And just a warning, if two docs are giving you pain medications that can be construed as doctor shopping. Only one doctor can give you pain medication at a time, and if both have standing scripts for you than you can get into major trouble. Aside from that, 450 a month = 15 a day, and that is 7.5g of APAP per day. You will (if you dont already) have major liver damage.

Yep I know about the possibility of liver damage, which is part of the reason I want to work on the tolerance issue. Since the pain would be manageable on 6-8 pills a day without the tolerance, I would prefer see if I can decrease tolerance rather than going with stronger opiates but I cannot take NSAIDS due to Hx of GI Bleeds so I'm pretty much stuck with formulations of Tylenol... I have been without the Vicodin for up to 5 days at a time but I'm pretty much useless and unable to work without it, due to pain from the RA.

Status
Not open for further replies.