• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Harm Reduction The Pain Management Mega Thread - for all your questions on dealing with chronic pain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right, oxycodone is more potent than hydrocodone per milligram.
My understanding is something along the lines of 7.5mg hydrocodone = 5mg oxycodone

Based on experience only, I'd say that ratio is spot-on.

If you usually take 30mg of hydro, I'd say 20mg of oxy would cut the pain equally. 25mg would probably have you start feeling a little extra good.

johanneschimpo said:
Right, oxycodone is more potent than hydrocodone per milligram.
My understanding is something along the lines of 7.5mg hydrocodone = 5mg oxycodone
Is your conversion based on the analgesia or pain control?

Also, quick question. I have heard of oxymorphone. My question to you all is how is it effective for pain. How would one compare the effects with hydromorphone? Also, how about the euphoria?

Congrats man... after your 9000000000000mg of APAP thread, I didnt know how much longer you would be with us. this made me sad. I'm glad your pain free man, and your doctor seems like a great one. Grats

I'm merging this into the pain thread since it's seems appropriate

Oxymorphone / OPANA--good? bad? same old?

Just wondering how Opana is for chronic pain. Anyone? Thanks.

william1985 said:

Also, quick question. I have heard of oxymorphone. My question to you all is how is it effective for pain. How would one compare the effects with hydromorphone? Also, how about the euphoria?

Pain control is as good as anything i have ever taken. Euphoria blows everything else out of the water. Nothing comes close to the euphoria.

I've just started going three days on pregabalin (Lyrica), three days on kratom, three days on acetaminophen (without codiene) & ibuprofin, and three days on opiates (oxycontin and codiene).

This is my effort to avoid physical/psychological addiction/dependence. I'd been doing the same without the acetaminophen & ibuprofin stage, but I think this is safer.

Peacelove,
Aldousage

My burn pain is getting worse
now i'm on
20 percs a month as needed, and 2 mg dilaudid daily.
I think ketamine (at anasthetic doses) would be an absolute god send for this pain, unfortunately it's not perscribed. But I will ask my doctor about it. I also find acetaminophen allowes the dilaudid to work better. I snort the dillies, because 10 percent oral bioavail or something? no thanks.
I have burns on my chest from a car accident.

william1985 said:
What's the difference?

Analgesia, pain control... They seem to mean the same thing to me.

Anyway, that conversion is the most common one found in narcotic equivalence charts, and is also how I feel based on my experience with the two. Not for euphoria, but pain control/analgesia. When it comes to euphoria, there isn't a true, fail-safe, accurate way to measure it.

I dunno if i would liken the two very close together , for me analgesia is how well the medication for works for pain and pain control is more or less how long i can stay out of pain at the required amount of analgesia .. if that makes sense ...

johanneschimpo said:
What's the difference?

Analgesia, pain control... They seem to mean the same thing to me.

Anyway, that conversion is the most common one found in narcotic equivalence charts, and is also how I feel based on my experience with the two. Not for euphoria, but pain control/analgesia. When it comes to euphoria, there isn't a true, fail-safe, accurate way to measure it.
I meant analgesia and eurphoria. But yeah, you answered my question :)

pain mngt ?

please dont merge this into the big one until i het a answer thx 4 ur cooperation. :)

well im on morphine 15s 3xa day and neurontin 800mg 3x a day, and im in living hell sitting in normal chairs causes unbearable pain the only chair that im comfortable in is one with like a 5 foot back, im 6'8 and had a full spinal fusion. I need full back support to feel normal even on my meds. i was going to ask my pain management doctor if i could get a implant for morphine bc i got 8 years of school to go to and every minute of it hurts like hell and he wont give me breakthrough meds.
here is what i am asking of you should i just get a bigger morphine dose or should i go all in and ask for the implant?

i think you should have a discussion with your doctor about it, since you said you are going to ask your pain management doctor about getting the implant

ask him what he thinks is best for you

I'm moving this into the pain management thread because contrary to what you may think, stuff does get answered in the mega threads and quite well.

That's where it belongs, that's where it'll go.

ETA: Ditto on what lady said.

Gethigh- the most important thing is to be open with your doctor and if they are unresponsive and don't deliver than find a new doctor.

IME w/ doctors, they don't like it a lot of times when you try to recommend things so I wouldn't straight up ask him for the pump. There are various ways to discuss it with him... 1.) You could tell him that the current regimen is insufficient and you need to make changes to better control your pain 2.) You could mention reading about the intrathecal pumps and ask him what he thinks about it, etc.

My main point is that its important that your doctor feel like he is in the driver's seat of the treatment. At the same time, he can only make informed decisions if you are open with him. You need to tell him how miserable you are and what you want and need out of treatment so he can understand what needs to be done.

From what I know, those pumps are generally reserved for when people max out other options- i.e. are on such a high dose of oral opioids that its no longer feasible to continue via that route. I am not sure on your current meds if a doctor would consider a pump unless it was more for a local anesthetic or something non-narcotic.

I understand how horrible it is living with uncontrolled pain and that is why its sooo important that you get a doctor that you can be open with and who is responsive to your needs. If your doctor is pulling the "I know best (live with your pain)" bullshit, than you need to move on. If your doctor will listen, then express your desperation in the most colorful language that you can. Most doctors if you communicate how shitty this is making your life, will feel a sense of obligation to better control your pain.

I hope some of this helped and feel free to ask any other questions here or in PM, I have been through all the BS with about 2 dozen doctors and I'd love to share any insight that might be helpful. You need to find pain relief and you need to push until you get it, no one is going to for you and you need to be able to live your life relatively pain-free. Best of luck!

Cane2theLeft said:
Gethigh- the most important thing is to be open with your doctor and if they are unresponsive and don't deliver than find a new doctor.

IME w/ doctors, they don't like it a lot of times when you try to recommend things so I wouldn't straight up ask him for the pump. There are various ways to discuss it with him... 1.) You could tell him that the current regimen is insufficient and you need to make changes to better control your pain 2.) You could mention reading about the intrathecal pumps and ask him what he thinks about it, etc.

My main point is that its important that your doctor feel like he is in the driver's seat of the treatment. At the same time, he can only make informed decisions if you are open with him. You need to tell him how miserable you are and what you want and need out of treatment so he can understand what needs to be done.

From what I know, those pumps are generally reserved for when people max out other options- i.e. are on such a high dose of oral opioids that its no longer feasible to continue via that route. I am not sure on your current meds if a doctor would consider a pump unless it was more for a local anesthetic or something non-narcotic.

I understand how horrible it is living with uncontrolled pain and that is why its sooo important that you get a doctor that you can be open with and who is responsive to your needs. If your doctor is pulling the "I know best (live with your pain)" bullshit, than you need to move on. If your doctor will listen, then express your desperation in the most colorful language that you can. Most doctors if you communicate how shitty this is making your life, will feel a sense of obligation to better control your pain.

I hope some of this helped and feel free to ask any other questions here or in PM, I have been through all the BS with about 2 dozen doctors and I'd love to share any insight that might be helpful. You need to find pain relief and you need to push until you get it, no one is going to for you and you need to be able to live your life relatively pain-free. Best of luck!
my doc knows im in undergrad and hopefully going to be going to med school so he ask me what i think the best route would be and then makes sure with his pain doc he consults and so far im batting 100

JC- you right 5mg of oxy is 7.5mg of hydro i think that might be why they have the 7.5mg preparations of it

Pain. Didn't see another thread, but I'm new so I may've missed it...

I suffer from chronic back pain and have for some time. I played contact sports in high school (I'm 25 now), and although I've been in the journalism field for the past year, before I finished college I worked a lot of manual labor jobs (warehouse shipping/receiving, framing houses, etc..). I've taken a variety of painkillers in the past, some prescribed by a doctor and some obtained on the street when I had to. I'm at the point now where I'd like to actually start treating this the right way, but every doctor I've been to has treated me like a total asshole when I try to explain my back pain. I've had CT scans, x-rays, MRI's, I've been hammered on, poked, massaged, prodded and stared at blankly. I have no fractures in any of the bones related to my lower back. No ruptured/herniated discs, nothing abnormal showing up in any of the tests, etc... that they've done.

What do I do at this point? Continue to go to doctors and LIE saying I "pulled my back two days ago" so they'll prescribe me something? Or is there another option? Anybody who has this in common with me, or something just offering advice is MORE than welcome to chime in here.

P.S. - I just relocated from a small town in Arkansas to Phoenix. This city is fucking massive, and hopefully I'll be able to find some kind of medical facility that'll actually take me seriously instead of small small-town, shithole doctor who looks at me like I'm there for a fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.