• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Harm Reduction The Pain Management Mega Thread - for all your questions on dealing with chronic pain

Status
Not open for further replies.
psilocybin420 said:
I have an insane poppy pod tea tolerance. i drink it daily or every other day for pain releif. I have severe neck and back pain from an accident and am refused pain meds/ect. any suggestions? i love poppy tea but would rather get meds from a doctor that will help me manage my pain rather then suffering in silence. the most they gave me was a shitty musle relaxer... like skelaxin that did nothing whatsoever. damn doctors. its bullshit how i have to hit the streets to find pain meds and order tea off the net or grow pods rather than have a damn doctor help me. suggestions?
Go try a different pain doctor. Having dealt with more than my fair share than them at my age, I've come to realize that there are good doctors and there are shitty doctors. There are probably 5 shitty doctors for every 1 good doctor. I have chronic (at least at this point) pain due to inflamed nerves surrounded by scar tissue. My PCP, at this point, is the only doctor that is willing to scrip me anything that works (thus far opiods and lidocaine). My first pain doctor gave me steroid injections, which did nothing, then put me on Lyrica up to the maximum therapeutic dose for about a month, which did nothing, then said he didn't know how to help me other than put me on Elavil. I don't want to be on tricyclic antidepressants. He wouldn't even bother to have a conversation to me. Every time I saw him, it felt like a timed interview.

The point being, if you see a doctor that you deem unsuitable to your needs: don't give up, keep trying to find a new doctor. Sooner or later you will find someone who actually cares.

PS: If you're dependent on the poppy pod tea, I'd recommend trying your hardest to cut that dependency ASAP. There's so many different opiods in that stuff that the withdrawals can seem worse than heroin and fentanyl to some people.

Modafinil has shown a lot of promise as a treatment for Opioid Induced Sedation

I take modafinil when needed. I got it Rx'd from a neurologist for excessive daytime sleepiness. I have a sleep disorder (measureable by polysomnograph) called periodic limb movement disorder. I am also being treated for chronic pain d/t an accident where I broke and dislocated (2nd dislocation) of my left shoulder. I have avasulur necrosis of the head of my tibial bone and nerve damage.

In the insert and product monograph it says that modafinil can up regulate the 3A4 (not sure the isozyme is correct as I have the flu or something and my brain is on off) which may cause an increase in the clearance rate of methadone ( and therefore by default most other opiates) which I find noticable.

I take right now
6mg hydromorph-contin twice/day
120 2mg hydromorphone/month for breakthrough (which I bang)
150mg Lyrica twice/day
600mg neurotonin 3x/day
400mg ibuprophen twice/day
amytriptyline 50mg at bedtime (for sleep
2mg clonazepam (which is rx'd daily but having been through benzo w/d before I use sparingly)

I'd suggest to the OP with the nuasea (sp?) that she try either lyrica (1st choice) or neurotonin. Also you can get clonidine patches now which may help significantly towards pain managenent without neasea(sp?).

Unless you are sure you will be on opiates for the reast of your life I would fucking run from methadone. The w/d from that is opiate hell on earth. I had it offered to me by a pain management guy closer to home but it was the only opiate he prescribes so I turned it down.

I get swallowing problems when I bang H. I never have seen it mentioned on here before so I thought it was just me. Hmmmm.....maybe not.

I have a question as far as my meds go.
My pain doc has me on 15 mg MSIR 3 times a day. Problem is, it barely does it's job. Granted, that is due to my past (and sometimes current) abuse; but, noetheless it is barely effective. How do I ask for something different? I mean, as far as he knows, this is my first treatment with narcotics. So that should be effective for someone with no tolerance right?

I get swallowing problems when I bang H. I never have seen it mentioned on here before so I thought it was just me. Hmmmm.....maybe not.[/QUOTE]

I get that same thing with opana (not my 'script) I also have a ridiculous amount of trouble trying to piss on it. That is the only opiate that does it to me though.

I guess my real question is:
What should I ask for?
A higher dose, more a day or another med altogether?

Always browsing here, have a lot of respect for the knowledge accumulated on these forums....could use some advice

In the last 6 months I've had or been diagnosed with:
a severe herniation at L4-L5 (for which I had a laminectomy and was found to have nerve damage of ~ 75%)
diabetic peripheral neruopathy (the burning, tingling and agonizing pain)
plantar fasciatis
Sciatic Nerve issues on both sides

And all this after I had lost a significant amount of weight (125 lbs)

My question is:

Went on courses of both Cymbalta and Lyrica (seperately) and had awful reactions to both, culminating in suicidal thoughts on cymbalta (never been suicidal before or since) and awful withdrawals from lyrica (an otherwise great medicine). Has anyone else had these issues with these 2 drugs?

I am asking because my PCP has put me on a special folic acid, along with ultram/percocet (for BT pain) and has referred me to a PM Doc. Does anyone know of (personally or otherwise) of people improving from neuropathy not taking lyrica or cymbalta.

I've heard over 90% of patients are on some form of these drugs (what happens to the 10% who cant tolerate it?)

So I found out yesterday that as of Sept 1, 2008 there is no more generic oxycontin. My pain bill just went from $300.00 a month to $700.00 a month.

Roxicodone King said:
where do you live? cause there hasn't been generic oxy in a while.

distributors who had it warehoused were still allowed to sell it, i believe. different areas of the country with different levels of demand may hve still had it sitting around.

boomerjared79 said:
I guess my real question is:
What should I ask for?
A higher dose, more a day or another med altogether?

You could ask for a higher dose or if you wanted switch to MScontin. 15mg's of morphine IR is not alot really and even with little tolerance that didnt do much for my pain. I switched to oxy IR 10mg's after the MS IR's i had didnt work well and they worked good for awile. But my insurance didnt pay for them so i switched to 60mg's of MScontin a day.

Your doctor might get suspicious of you asking for drugs by name as alot of them do. Im just used to it because ive been on just about every commonly prescribed opiate in canada at one time or another.

Roxicodone King said:
where do you live? cause there hasn't been generic oxy in a while.

yeah, I live in San Antonio, Texas. The pharmacist told me that I had gotten the last of his stock and next time it would be name brand.

paranoid android said:
You could ask for a higher dose or if you wanted switch to MScontin. 15mg's of morphine IR is not alot really and even with little tolerance that didnt do much for my pain. I switched to oxy IR 10mg's after the MS IR's i had didnt work well and they worked good for awile. But my insurance didnt pay for them so i switched to 60mg's of MScontin a day.

Your doctor might get suspicious of you asking for drugs by name as alot of them do. Im just used to it because ive been on just about every commonly prescribed opiate in canada at one time or another.

I appreciate it PA. I was thinking I should probably just bite the bullet for a little longer.

BiggDirty01 said:
Went on courses of both Cymbalta and Lyrica (seperately) and had awful reactions to both, culminating in suicidal thoughts on cymbalta (never been suicidal before or since) and awful withdrawals from lyrica (an otherwise great medicine). Has anyone else had these issues with these 2 drugs?

I am asking because my PCP has put me on a special folic acid, along with ultram/percocet (for BT pain) and has referred me to a PM Doc. Does anyone know of (personally or otherwise) of people improving from neuropathy not taking lyrica or cymbalta.

I've heard over 90% of patients are on some form of these drugs (what happens to the 10% who cant tolerate it?)

If the lyrica works well with the only caveat being withdrawal, then why don't you pursue it? As long as you take it as prescribed, then it should not be an issue. Withdrawal is going to be a BITCH with just about anything that would work on the pain, and this brings me to your second question; generally for neuropathy when the first and second line treatments are ineffective, the third line is pursued further. This is opioid analgesics so generally you will be on pretty large amounts of these to manage the pain. This of course is dependent on the doctors and largely the area that you are living in. Some PM doctors will be willing to prescribe astronomical amounts of opioids while others will barely script hydrocodone.

Another option that you (surprisingly) didn't mention is tricyclic antidepressants. According to protocol, these are generally first line treatment for neuropathic issues. I would recommend amitryptiline or nortriptyline... the former is statistically SLIGHTLY more effective while the latter has less complications from side effects, but the difference in either category is pretty small.

For me personally, Lyrica has been the single most important medication in my pain regimen. My pain right now is almost completely neuropathic and my life changed dramatically when I started neurontin/gabapentin (virtually the same as lyrica/pregabalin). Nortriptyline helped but not enough to stave off massive acute exacerbations that regularly sent me to the ER. The lyrica stabilized the pain and really cut through the sharpest, most electric sensations (paresthesias, hyperesthesia and dysesthesia).

Currently Lyrica is the cornerstone of my regimen; lidocaine patches are a godsend when the pain is burning, tingling, electric and the worst of it is limited to an area the patches can cover; celebrex prevents the stiffness and muscle spasm (I found this after trying over half a dozen benzos and muscle relaxants that were more sedating than therapeutic); hydrocodone 10/325 are my only opioid and BT medication. I also use marijuana as an adjunct that is opioid sparing, muscle relaxing, sleep inducing and mood enhancing. I used to have tremendous anxiety and depression due to the chronic pain (especially since I was 19 at the onset) and the marijuana let me take a break from this and smile and laugh. I think the cannabis really allowed me to change my perspective on all of it and now I live in daily pain but have minimal related depression and anxiety. Perspective on the pain may be the most important aspect of pain management; at first I thought pharmacology was key and scoffed at alternative opinions, but I've since learned how important the mind is in all of this.

Sorry for the long post but I REALLY want to share my experiences and offer anything that I can to help you and any other pain patients. Overall, I think tricyclic antidepressants should be tried and/or Lyrica should be utilized if withdrawal is the only set back. Opioids have their place but can be ineffective for neuropathic pain and can cause large complications (not physiologically usually, but with addiction. In people that do not have addiction issues previously, iatrogenic addiction is exceedingly rare, but if it is present prior to treatment, then it is all too common). Lidocaine patches, NSAIDs and medicinal marijuana are also avenues that I recommend pursuing. Best of luck and please, feel free to ask any questions or PM me for anything... whether medical help, emotional support or absolutely anything. Its important to know that you have support, even if its only through text.

I've been going with the medical marijuana route as of late (YAY CALIFORNIA!). It's actually REALLY effective for my nerve pain where Lyrica and such fail. The only downside is that I can't use it before class and be at my peak mental ability. That, and my psychiatrist has told me that some medical journal had an article published recently that said that there may be a potential interaction between Effexor (which I take for anxiety) and a couple cannabinoids, the study seemed "flaky at best," in the words of my shrink.

Maybe I'll ask my pain doc about trying Cesamet...

I broke my back as a result of being a competitive gymnast my whole life. I had surgery to repair it and now suffer from failed back surgery and a few other things. About 5 years ago my oral med dose was getting pretty high and my pain was not getting low. So I had a trial for an intrathecal pump and I am so happy I did. I am still in pain but nothing like I was. You might want to ask your doctor about this option. I know that pain can consume your whole life. PM me anytime.

^ Before I was regularly taking opioids for the nerve pain and when muscle spasm was a larger portion of the problem, I was smoking. This included regular smoking before class and before work as a server in a restaurant. The pain was so distracting that the right dose of the right strain and I was able to function closer to normal than I was able to otherwise. It was difficult however in a state that isn't California and I had to be careful, especially living in the dorms. I never had any trouble though and I was able to function in school so much more effectively.

I used strains that were higher in CBD which I found helped the spasticity and nerve pain far greater than THC-heavy strains. Luckily most of the good indoor grown products had indica-heavy hybrids. THC-only and high THC products (e.g marinol, cesamet) have tested worse against peripheral nerve pain but well against central nerve problems like MS and parkinsons. I saw one study that demonstrated for HIV peripheral neuropathy (peripheral neuropathy of various etiologies respond very similarly in treatment) responded equally poorly to very low THC and high THC product and best to one with a moderate balance of THC and CBD. In summation, I think cannabis may be very useful but cesamet may not unless your pain is primarily central or due directly to spasticity issues.

I saw a silimar sounding journal article that dealt with interaction of bupropion (wellbutrin) and cannabis and it neglected to openly state that the results were based on the the representative sample of 7 people. I find its best to look at the findings of studies like these but take the results contextually.

Norco / Percocet question

Quick question, is Norco 10/325 weaker than Percocet 5/325? I have a herniated disc and my GP switched me to the Percocet after getting the MRI results. I assume it is stronger, I just don't know what my tolerance is. I can take 3 Norco and that usually gets the pain down to a numbness. Thanks for any answers! :)

10mg hydrocodone (norco) is stronger than 5mg oxycodone (percocet)
(however, it could affect an individual differently due to body chemistry)

If you usually take 3 norcos (30mg hydrocodone), take 4 percocet (20mg oxycodone). That is an equivalent dose.

Technically speaking, 10mg of hydrocodone is stronger than 5mg oxycodone, but oxycodone is relatively stronger than hydro...

Status
Not open for further replies.