• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Harm Reduction The Pain Management Mega Thread - for all your questions on dealing with chronic pain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tell your Dr. to prescribe you Phenergan or Promethazine. It potentiates your opiates and also curbs the sickness. Problem solved.

we have a thread specially for people suffering from sever pain to discuss their medication and everything that pertains to it , im going to merge this thread into that one (the mega pain thread)

Hello, I am new and I have a ? about percocet.

I have a tumor, a large lipoma about the size of an egg, it didn't use to be painful, but now that it has grown it is starting to lean on my spine causing my discs to swell. I am scheduled to have it out soon.

anywho for pain I have been given percocet (oxycodone/APAP 5mg -325) if that helps.

Im instructed to take 2 every 4 hours not to exceed 12 in 24 hours.

It works pretty well for me, except I throw up a lot. It doesn't matter if I take it with food or not, i throw up, a lot.

My mom says I am probably allergic to it, but if that was the case, I think I would have more side effects then just vomiting. And she might be just trying to take me out of it so she can have them lol witch isn't happening.

My dr says that I can switch to morphine if I want to but I am not sure if it will have the same effect for the pain as the percs do.

I have never taken oral morphine, just in IV form, and that was ok although I prefer the dilautin to morphine.

So I guess my ?s are.. is there something I can take to make the nausea go away thats over the counter?

In your opinion does morphine have the same effects as percocet?

TIA for any advice or info. It is much appreciated!

Maybe this isn't the best advice, but you could start smoking small amounts of cannabis throughout the day to prevent nausea. This would also potentiate the analgesia of the painkiller, as cannabis is well known for it's ability to kill pain.

Got chronic pain and massive severe hypersensitivity to opioids, working on desensitisation by slowly teetering upwards with oral liquid measurements, can only strictly tolerate ORAL meds. Which of the three......

1-HYDROMORPHONE HYDROCHLORIDE
Oral liquid 1 mg per mL, 473 mL

3-MORPHINE HYDROCHLORIDE
Oral solution 2 mg per mL, 200 mL

3-OXYCODONE HYDROCHLORIDE
Oral solution 5 mg per 5 mL, 250 mL

is most effective ORALLY for each of the below categories? , please mark from 1 to 3...

-pain relief :
-adverse/ side effects :
-tolerance :
-euphoria :

Also if the oxycodone has the best ORAL bioavaliability does that mean that I will have more adverse reactions to it? Does that mean I will have to take less of the oxycodone then recomended in order to avoid its adverse reaction due to its high bioavalibility which means a smaller dose of the oxy is equal in adverse reactions to a higher dose of morphine and hydromorphene due to the difference in bioavaliability? So it all ends up being the same anyways?

For example if only %40 from 5 ml of oral morphine is absorbed and %40 of 1 ml of hydromorphone is absorbed and thats the maximum dose I can tolerate, then does that mean that I would I need to take a very very small dose of the oxycodone due to its higher bioavaliabibility so that it equals the %40 threshold abosorbtion rate which is all my body can handle at the moment due to the hypersensitivity?

Last edited:
Also if the oxycodone has the best ORAL bioavaliability does that mean that I will have more adverse reactions to it? Does that mean I will have to take less of the oxycodone then recomended in order to avoid its adverse reaction due to its high bioavalibility which means a smaller dose of the oxy is equal in adverse reactions to a higher dose of morphine and hydromorphene due to the difference in bioavaliability? So it all ends up being the same anyways?

For example if only %40 from 5 ml of oral morphine is absorbed and %40 of 1 ml of hydromorphone is absorbed and thats the maximum dose I can tolerate, then does that mean that I would I need to take a very very small dose of the oxycodone due to its higher bioavaliabibility so that it equals the %40 threshold abosorbtion rate which is all my body can handle at the moment due to the hypersensitivity?
holy shit! you seem confused. that last paragraph really got me.
I'm pretty experienced and knowledgeable when it comes to opioids but u got me.

Unlucky, when they make opioid comparison charts I believe they take bioavailability into consideration. So you don't have to worry about trying to come up with an equivalent dose by calculating the BA of the morphine dose you can tolerate and the BA of the oxycodone.

^^^ ye im sorry, I know what i want to say but i cant explain it properly :X

I guess what im trying to ask is how much of adverse reaction is influnced by bioavalibility and absorbtion, does it mean the higher the ORAL bioavalibilty of an opiod like oxy the more of an adverse reaction will be experinced in an opioid sensitive person?

hopefully i explained it better that time ??

EDIT: thanks Mr Blonde, I get it now :) ...lol we posted at the same time 14.52

The BA shouldn't affect how much of an adverse reaction you have... assuming you have an equal adverse reaction to all opioids, lets say you can tolerate 5mg of morphine comfortably. Convert that number to the equivalent dose of oxy and it should be the same, unless something about the particular way oxycodone modulates the opioid/endorphin system is more/less likely to create problems for you, which we really can't say.

Great info, cheers =D

I guess the other influnce with oxy is the way its metabolized by the cytochrome P450 enzyme system in the liver unlike morphine and hydromorphone, so the speed at which its metobolised can influnce some who are fast metabolizers resulting in reduced analgesic effect but increased adverse effects, while others are slow metabolisers resulting in increased toxicity without improved analgesia....according to the wikipedia 8)

^ That could be something to think about... oxycodone is partly metabolized into oxymorphone, but at your doses the amount shouldn't be enough to worry about.

Maybe this isn't the best advice, but you could start smoking small amounts of cannabis throughout the day to prevent nausea. This would also potentiate the analgesia of the painkiller, as cannabis is well known for it's ability to kill pain.

I have smoked weed, but that too makes me sick lol. I grew up on a farm in the middle of nowhere WI, so the only thing you could really do was read and get high.

Worth a shot though I suppose.

I just can't wait for the surgery. scared a little, but i know I can't just sit like this forever.

I find this site to be very helpful and positive. I plan to stick around.

Am I right in saying that you can only get pain relief from opioids for a certain length of time, even if the dose is increased, due to tolerance levels or is this the case only with recreational use? Does there come a point where the dose no longer needs to be increased to adequately kill the pain due to increasing tolerance?

In practice, do people have to take drug holidays to get pain relief again?

I've been on stable doses of opioids for almost three years without substantial tolerance issues. I still get pain relief from opioids and have never had to take holidays. Everyone is different but if used properly, opioids can be used to great effect with little need to increase the dose. Tolerance rises rapidly when opioids are abused because greater and greater doses are needed to get high. People in pain taking consistent doses don't experience a rapid increase in tolerance like that. Lastly, I've never heard of pain patients not being able to get pain relief from opioids after a certain point. Generally if oral meds become insufficient then intrathecal drug delivery systems are utilized.

LightTrailz is another person who I believe hasn't had any issues with tolerance, he also doesn't abuse his meds or anything and as C2tL says, they have to be used properly.

I'm sorry, i dont mean to be a dick, but this is like saying "When you jump off a building you go towards the ground because you are falling". or "When you drink a lot of beers, you get drunk because you are putting more and more beer in your body". lol. Sorry, but I just had to point out a sighting of Captain Obvious!

I was just contrasting the tolerance acquisition between licit and illicit use and clearly the ONLY reason for your response was to be a dick.

I'm sorry, i dont mean to be a dick, but this is like saying "When you jump off a building you go towards the ground because you are falling". or "When you drink a lot of beers, you get drunk because you are putting more and more beer in your body". lol. Sorry, but I just had to point out a sighting of Captain Obvious!

Well it's true. Tolerance to the high develops faster than tolerance to the analgesia

You know all those synthetic urines? Can one drop a few speckles of dust from a crushed roxicodone and a drop of fentanyl into it, so when you take your test you don't come out negitive for 'prescribed meds'? I'm just speaking hypothetically. Or do they only test for the metabolites of the drug at pain clinics?

I'm actually taking my meds pretty close to prescribed now. I used to be a lot worse and when i had really bad pain i didn't have anything to take and i really do need pain meds. But, if say i was a few days short, can you just put a tiny bit of your meds in the synthetic urine and save it? OR when they tested it would that make the results all funky?

I always wondered about that. I know one could always pee and put it in the freezer and then warm it up before apt. I'm not saying that's a good thing to do. I'm just asking.

Like i said, I'm doing so much better with my meds. Much better then i was a few months ago.

Just thought I'd through that hypothetical out there. I'm bored, lonely and pretty damn sad tonight.. thought I'd throw that question out. Trying to keep my mind busy

Rpg

^This is a thread to help people in pain and I know you have real pain but I think its unethical to give you advice on how to scam your doctors whether it be for drugs or drug tests... let alone the guideline stating unequivocally that drug testing questions are not allowed.

I highly doubt 'sprinkling' drugs into your urine would work anyway. They expect to see a certain level of your drugs and a certain level of their metabolites in the urine... they also probably test for pH, gravity, proteins and other factors to ensure its authentic.

If you are concerned about it... just do your best to stick to a schedule and be honest with your physician. Please don't scam your doctor because you risk losing the pain medication you dearly need.

I am on the 2.5mg Fenatnly Patch switching every 48hours
10-30mg OxyIR 5mg a day
.5 Ativan x3/day
2mg valium 4x/day

I have nerve damage in multiple parts in my spine

im so sick of doctors

ive been having back pain since august, been rxd many different meds, including one time vicodin, the ONLY med that worked was vicodin, i told my doctor this yesterday, so he prescribes me nerountin or whatever, shit doesnt work at all, heard that it may have some recreational value from what i read on erwoid but i felt nothing, so it doesnt help for pain and it doesnt have any rec value, so now ive decided fuck doctors, im just going to buy my meds online.
is codeine a serious med?
i know vicodin isnt that serious compared to other pain killers

Status
Not open for further replies.