• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Deprenyl (Selegiline) and MDMA

Advanc3d

Bluelighter
okay, i searched every thread in the search function and they all contain conflicting information about its safely and use with mdma

1. to benefit from the neuroprotective effects of deprenyl, what dosage should be used?

2. when should it be taken and on what frequency, eg. before or after pilling?

3. would taking, for example, 2.5mg per day for a week and then taking a dose of mdma be any different from taking a single dose of 2.5mg 30min before MDMA?

4. so does it potentiate mdma or blunts the effects at the corrent dose where only MAOI-B is inhibited

note: Deprenyl isnt a MAOI-A inhibitor at low dose

Last edited:
You have to be careful with this because it can potentiate and elongate the effects of MDMA. Some people have reported long periods of psychosis when consuming larger doses of MDMA with selegiline. I'm still not entirely sure how safe this combo is.

2.5mg before the experience should more effectively inhibit MAO-B because the body begins producing more MAO-B directly after selegiline destroys it (as far as I know). Irreversible enzyme inhibition and subsequent reproduction has a curve similar (but inverse) to plasma concentration curves. You should probably dose 1-2 hours beforehand though. 1-2mg of selegiline should be enough to inhibit MAO-B effectively.

This is taken directly from the Ecstasy Discussion Directory...............

MDMA/Ecstasy (includes MDA, MDEA etc): A VERY DANGEROUS combination. Do not roll while you are taking a MAOI. This leads to serotonin syndrome, a hypertensive crisis, and eventually death. A number of people have DIED from combining MDMA and a MAOI. DO NOT DO THIS!

Please seek out the FAQ on Anti deptressants and recreational drugs in the directory........... http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?t=301696

Its in post 1.

deprenyl in a low dose is very safe to take with mdma as long as you dont take more then a few mg

MAO inhibition is very dangerous with MDMA. You can easily go overboard and be hospitalized and/or dead. There's a reason why more people aren't trying to potentiate MDMA with MAO inhibitors. It's just too dangerous to safely and reliably do it every time.

Deprenyl isnt a all MAO inhibitor
at dosage less than 15mg its effectivly a MAOI-B inhibitor
where it only inhibits dopamine, PEA metabolism
therefore it will potentiate most stimulants at correct dose (to be save <5mg)

Obviously if you took ordinary MAOI's it will be a dangerous mix as ordinary MAOI's inhibit MAOI-A aswell .. therefore causing serotonin syndrome

correct me if im wrong

Almost hit the spot Advanc3d.

It's widely believed that it's MAOB selective at doses under 10mg. I would suggest starting at ~5mg, as I've done many times.

Subjectively speaking, deprenyl has done different things to my peak everytime I've done it. Generally, better pills are best by themselves, whereas crap pills go down nicely with 5mg of deprenyl 1 hour before dumping. Please don't do deprenyl when dumping many pills.

I'm a little dissapointed that BOTH ecstasy DD mods seem unaware of the combo, it's reported as an efficient way of reducing neurotoxicity with few to nill side effects.

http://www.jneurosci.org/cgi/content/full/27/38/10203/F4

Indelibleface said:
MAO inhibition is very dangerous with MDMA. You can easily go overboard and be hospitalized and/or dead. There's a reason why more people aren't trying to potentiate MDMA with MAO inhibitors. It's just too dangerous to safely and reliably do it every time.

Quoted for emphasis.

I am not prepared to argue in here whether or not small ammounts of this drug may or may not cause a problem when mixed with mdma. In this forum its irrelevant.............please take the discussion to Advanced drug discussion. This area contains mostly posters who do not have the knowledge and understanding to appreciate what your discussing and as such may not read things correctly leading to them believing its OK to do this, and then death............... Its extremely dangerous. End of story.

Got an Ecstasy question? Click here for comprehensive assistance.

MazDan said:

Quoted for emphasis.

I am not prepared to argue in here whether or not small ammounts of this drug may or may not cause a problem when mixed with mdma. In this forum its irrelevant.............please take the discussion to Advanced drug discussion. This area contains mostly posters who do not have the knowledge and understanding to appreciate what your discussing and as such may not read things correctly leading to them believing its OK to do this, and then death............... Its extremely dangerous. End of story.

Move it to advanced drug discussion please :)

Advanc3d said:
Move it to advanced drug discussion please :)

Shall do brother............actually my apologies because i only just realised that you started it...........lol, I thought it was some silly kid with no knowledge.

Keep smiling and thanks for understanding.

I would tread lightly or not at all.
While serotonin syndrome won't be a risk if you take care not to cross into MAOA inhibition, others have reported something like a 4-fold increase in potency for classical stimulants and substituted phenethylamine psychedelics combined with selegeline, along with disturbing increases in body-temperature and blood-pressure. There is also a bluelighter who drove himself into manic psychosis combining (repeated doses of) ritalin and selegeline.

I actually made a thread on this issue:
http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?t=382816&highlight=selegeline+stimulant

Any neuroprotection offered by the selegeline might be offset by increased hypertermia.

I would just purchase moar MDMA. :)

ebola

I just consumed it for the first time

each tablet is 5mg HCL

they were hard to divide it in to 4 to get a 1.25mg desired dose.

i weight the 5mg tablet and it came up at 15mg on the scale. i crushed the tablet and divided the powder in to 4.

i gathered up the powder and put it in to seperate capsules and just consumed one capsules

from my calculations, i just consumed 1.3~ mg

since i dont have any PEA to experiment with.
i shall sublingually take L-DOPA to see what i come up with (~50mg)

for safetly i have also consumed selenium + b6 for anti oxidative effects aswell as vitamin c&e. lol i think im going overboard with this

Last edited:
I wouldn't bother with L-dopa. Just go down to your local vitamin shoppe and buy some PEA (especially if you can get d-PEA)

Ham-milton said:
I wouldn't bother with L-dopa. Just go down to your local vitamin shoppe and buy some PEA (especially if you can get d-PEA)

is there any difference between that and b-PEA
i live in australia and its a bitch and a half to get supplements such as PEA so i have to order everything online

this whole concept of irreversible inhibition confuses me since it means that deprenyl has no real half life (somewhere it says ur last dose of it lasts for 3 weeks)

1. is it dangerous to take 1.5mg of deprenyl evryday untill the day i want to take MDMA or Speed? or should i only take a single dose of 1.5mg before taking drugs?
do i need to redose on deprenyl the next day??

2. for example. if i take 1.5mg/day for 10 days. is that equilvant to taking 15mg at once?

im confused because i read different information from other threads.

good news , an University here in the Netherlands will probably start a research on the interaction between Selegiline and MDMA.
The proposal has just been send out and needs to be agreed on.
so it will definetly be a few months before anything conclusive comes through.
but good to see the actual "legit" scientists wondering into this direction.

just decrease your normal MDMA dose by 50% and try 1 mg deprenyl. don't go past 5 mg. honestly though, i don't see why you would use deprenyl to potentiate MDMA. deprenyl in recreational use is for MAO-B inhibition to keep dopamine from being metabolized, not serotonin.

Ell said:
just decrease your normal MDMA dose by 50% and try 1 mg deprenyl. don't go past 5 mg. honestly though, i don't see why you would use deprenyl to potentiate MDMA. deprenyl in recreational use is for MAO-B inhibition to keep dopamine from being metabolized, not serotonin.

i use it mainly for neuroprotection. but the potentiation sounds helpful.

you reckon its okay to be taking 1mg of deprenyl everyday for week on and still be only MAOI-B and not MAOI-A (so serotonin syndrome wont be a problem or hypertensive crisis at the right mdma/speed dose)

Selegiline is readily absorbed from the gastrointestinal tract. The maximal concentrations are reached in 0.5 hours after oral administration. The bioavailability is low - on average 9.4 ± 5.9% of unchanged selegiline from a 10mg oral dose reaches the systemic circulation. A substantial increase in selegiline bioavailability (up to threefold) occurs when selegiline is administered with food high in fat.
interesting

Advanc3d said:
i use it mainly for neuroprotection. but the potentiation sounds helpful.

you reckon its okay to be taking 1mg of deprenyl everyday for week on and still be only MAOI-B and not MAOI-A (so serotonin syndrome wont be a problem or hypertensive crisis at the right mdma/speed dose)

yeah 1 mg/day oral is well within competitive maoi-b. you'd have to be on probably 15/day oral to get mao-a inhibition in 1 week, and even then it's a stretch. i've taken 10/ every other day for weeks with no mao-a inhibition (didn't have reaction to tyramine). though when i ate chocolate it got me every so slightly buzzed =) (the pea). i think it's a great alternative to just increasing doses of stimulants. deprenyl has been proven to be neuroprotective for mdma use. you're not going to run the risk of serotonin syndrome because of the deprenyl's mao inhibition. if you take a dose low enough to be competitive mao-b (to be safe <10mg), what can happen is the dopaminergic aspect of mdma is potentiated and you go into hypertensive crisis because of that. serotonin syndrome would be independently based on your mdma dose and your tolerance. if you really want to be safe, you should start at even lower than 50% of your average mdma dose; 25% would be good, and take between 1 and 2.5 mg deprenyl. just make sure you don't keep redosing with deprenyl over the period of a roll. that will make hypertensive crisis much more likely.

i really have to reiterate. i only have experience with deprenyl + d-amp/ methylphenidate, not mdma or other psychedelics.

i guess if things go badly, you could just down a lot of fruit juice or something acidic to speed up the mdma metabolism.

don't take any sedatives on the downer though (that is if there is one: the reason you're taking the deprenyl is to avoid it). benzo's, barbiturates, opiods, can and probably will react unpredictably with deprenyl.