Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: Courier-Mail - 9/08/08 'Ecstasy helps us deal with drunks, say cops'

hoptis

Bluelight Crew
Ecstasy helps us deal with drunks, say cops
By Robyn Ironside
August 09, 2008 02:15am

IF it was not for the prevalence of ecstasy in Brisbane's Fortitude Valley, understaffed police say they would struggle to cope with the drunken violence.

Last Saturday night only 15 officers were rostered on to deal with up to 60,000 people in the entertainment precinct - one officer for every 4000 people.

A Central District officer who did not want to be named said they had about the same number of police rostered on Saturday nights as they did weekday mornings.

"We're at the point where we're saying thank God 80 per cent of them are using an illegal drug rather than alcohol, even though in 10 years they'll be suffering manic depressive disorders," the officer said.

"But we just couldn't deal with that many people affected by alcohol."

He said police were not able to deliver a satisfactory "level of service" and were flat out responding to calls rather than undertaking preventative actions.

"It is embarrassing. We've sworn an oath to do certain things and we're not being given the resources to achieve that," the officer said.

Drug Arm national communications manager Josie Loth said it was well known that illicit drugs such as ecstasy were much more prevalent in the Valley than other parts of Brisbane.

"It's deemed more acceptable than in the city because the Valley's the alternative scene and always has been," Ms Loth said.

She said although ecstasy was a stimulant it tended to relax people but alcohol had the opposite effect. "When certain people drink . . . it brings out more of a violent tendency, often leading to problems," Ms Loth said.

Australian Medical Association Emergency Department spokeswoman Alex Markwell said alcohol definitely contributed to a lot more injuries than drugs.

"Young men especially can become aggressive on alcohol and get involved in fights and assaults," she said.

"The really common things that we see at the Royal Brisbane and Women's Hospital are head injuries where they've fallen over and hit their heads and we see lots of people with broken hands after hitting people."

"It really is very frustrating from a medical perspective because it chews up our resources. If people didn't drink we wouldn't see anywhere near as many patients as we do."

Police said that although drug users tended not to cause as many problems as binge drinkers, they were "competing horrors".

"The big thing a lot of us feel is that one of the most dangerous and insidious things about 'e' (ecstasy) is that most young people think it's not hurting them but every time they use it, it's hurting them a little," the officer said.

"We deal with them all the time; these kids who are now 30 or 40 who are suffering serious mental health problems as a result of their drug use in their 20s. Often it ends in suicide."

Queensland Police Union president Cameron Pope declined to comment on the drug use in Fortitude Valley but he said the staffing shortages in the district were not an isolated issue.

A Queensland Police Service spokesman said an "intelligence based" roster system was used in the Central District of the Valley and CBD which made public safety the primary objective. "Officers are rostered during peak periods to respond to calls for service," the spokesman said.

Courier-Mail

They didn't seem to have a problem charging me for possession of two pills in the valley a few years ago.

I love it how they slip in certain words and sentences.

"Oh, we're glad they aren't drunk and are pinging instead! BUT THEN AGAIN THEY WILL GET BIPOLAR AND KILL THEMSELVES IN 10 YEARS

but man do people get violent on alco-ECTASTY><<<SUICIUDE?!@! OMG!OJRKLDF
ldvmlm,cxvn;mc nKDF<:SCVSD
?""

DEATH@! !!

2ejwldfjas

well yeah.

Always the last ones on the boat,

if thge police are so happy again with xtc like substance use why dont they try advocating for change in legislation where they could just hand out Simple Ecstasy Offence Notices like that of the SCON simple canabis offence notice.

ist2_437828_giant_smiley_big_smile.jpg

Is it their contention that anyone who uses ecstacy will ultimately kill themselves 20 years in the future? That is ridiculous. What they are refering to is simply people that have had depressive disorders all of their lives and have been suicidal since their teens, and THAT was the reason that these people started using drugs. It is ridiculous to say that ecstacy use will inevitably lead to suicide in healthy individuals.

I think the officer was obviously being a bit exaggerative when he said everyone was going to get manic depression in 10 years. Where he's coming from is not so much 'it's a menace to society', but more 'it's bad for their health, but hey at least they're not being violent, etc etc', and that is the milestone and beauty of this article. :D

I bet the cops and emergency room staff in Perth wish that all the kids were on e instead of Ice, theyd all be sitting about playing ps3 with nothing to do.

This one is great.

The author of this article is disgraceful in their pro-drugs pitch. "Oh it's the alcohol that cuases the problems". NO It's the thugs who cause the problems and just because they were drinking dosen't mean they are not to blame. This article is nothing short of the current 'blame alchol' propaganda being pushed by Labor governments who don't want to crack down on drugs or punishing violent offenders.

The officer - if there even was one - has obviously not been on the job long saying drugies are better than drunks. A violent drunk usually goes down easy when taking on a sober trained person. A violent thug on drugs like ectascy does not! The reality is violent people will become violent, it dosen't matter what they take, drugs or alcohol.

Posted by: Luke Geurtsen of Brisbane 3:08pm today
Comment 44 of 48

the thing is.
as much as i love e.
it's the same as anything. not everyone who takes it has a good reaction

there is a friend of mine, who skitzes it when he's drunk. and he's fuckin terrible on pills too.

then you've got people like myself. regardless of whether i'm drunk, on pills or sharded off my head on ice.
in any of these cases i'm a very happy individual.

the problem is the culture. where alcohol is so freely abused, anything in excess is gonna result in massive negative consequences.

i'm sure if i went through a large quantity of shards on a binge, i'd probably snap it in a violent paranoid rage when i started to come down.
it's inherent in our culture to drink excessive amounts and get excessively wasted.
unfortunately a lot of people don't react well with it.

A violent thug on drugs like ectascy does not!

I haven't seen any violent thugs on X before; it doesn't seem like that kind of drug to me. :\

At last they are thinking straight... Maybe this will lead to help more research being done with ecstasy.

In my opinion alcohol is a worse drug then what MDMA is it just messes people up heaps worse and it can kill you when your in your 40's or 50's as well if you abuse it.

Imagine how much of a happier place it would be if ecstasy could be purchased as easily as alcohol can be.

What they are refering to is simply people that have had depressive disorders all of their lives and have been suicidal since their teens, and THAT was the reason that these people started using drugs.

A very good point, I think it's interesting how people always seem to bring up the point "Well, X amount of people that used ecstasy/meth/heroin/whatever were found to suffer from depression..."

In so many of the studies, it seems to be overlooked that perhaps these people's depression led them to drug use, rather than the other way around...

Well im glad they actually stated a part of 'reality'. Yeah that thing the government trys to hide and mask with lies.

Ya just imagine 60,000 people on alcohol vs 15 cops.. haha, and this shit is legal.. where as E is a Class A drug. I try not to think about it much, it just boggles my fucking mind.

all i can say is it is about time..
for the most part, show me an angry e user and i will eat my hat!
for all us who go out, drop a few pills and just let the music let us drift away, who are just out there for a good time, good company and good music, i salute us!
Not like some of those wankers who think they're "Mr Big" , go out and drink too much and ruin the night for the rest of us.
it's refreshing to hear that the boy's in blue, who are there to "take care of us", see where we are coming from.
don't know about you all but i would much rather be confronted by a bunch of guys pinging off their face then a mob of drunk f*ckwits!

Originally Posted by picadore
show me an angry e user and i will eat my hat!

Where's that hat at you better get it ready... In February this year I had some guy well actually their was 5 or 6 of them and they almost kicked in my front door and ripped down my side gate they couldn't get in the front door cause it has 3 dead locks on it...

They were going rank I had to call the police to come out three times cause they were going off their rocker. One of the guys has legally been assessed as a psychopath though so that could be an excuse but I know they were all on e.

They caused $2500 worth of damage which the insurance company covered thank god I had no gate for about 2 or 3 months so I had nowhere to lock my dog up and he kept escaping and to make it even worse my mum was overseas for 6 weeks...

So it is possible to to get an angry e user but their are a few things you would have to take into account with my story I guess.

[EDIT: Not something you want to advertise. hoptis]

Last edited by a moderator: