Votes: 1 6.3%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/3stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/4stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/5stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 10 62.5%

• Total voters
i'm fond of Bill Maher's opinions. i'll definitely see.

coming out soon.

and where there is religion there is drama!!

good article delving into what the movie shows you and what it is really about:
anti religion fervor in religulous id over the top

lord almighty, can maher ever provoke
I would be remiss -- after panning Ben Stein's "intelligent design" documentary -- to ignore the same sins in a film I generally agree with.

Religulous -- Bill Maher's anti-religion docu-manifesto -- falls prey to some of the same "Michael Moore-ish" cliches as Stein's movie. It's disappointing given that Religulous is directed by Larry Charles (Borat), who perfected docu-punking and should know better.
the article then goes on with nicer things to say about maher and the flick

bill maher, in his own words:
bill maher wants you to think while laughing at religulous

I def wanna see but they're not showing in the small bible belt town i live in....There's Chrisitian Pawn shops in this town for godsake...Crazy

I may have to go up to another town to chekc it out....Its def something i wanna support with my $7....Im a huge Bill Maher fan

i thought it was an amusing movie. a few times i got annoyed by bill maher acting all high and mighty, but he does that all the time.

^
His high and mightyness as a reaction to the crazies in this film is pretty deserved. How many atheists/agnostics have to deal with high and mightism on the other side, everyday?

That being said, Bill is a comedian/social commentator. He's not Richard Dawkins or Fredirck Neitzsche. He doesn't have to take the high road b/c humor is his career.

I found it hilarious.

I do not want to see this movie at all.

I find Bill Maher to be extremely annoying. I use the word extreme because he is somewhat of an extremist. He's just as bad as any religious nut preaching that we must believe in ____

Honestly, I dont want to hear it from either side.

^^^ I didn't think I'd like it because of Maher but I ended up likeing Maher . . . the message at the end is soooo true it's not really a spoiler but here's the message, kinda paraphrased:

NSFW:
"Grow Up" (his words, I say, "we must evolve spiritually, mature") or the world will end up in religulous armageddon (he shows apocalyptic war footage and ends standing in Meddigo, Israel where the fanatics say Armaggedon will happen).

Maher says he was raised Catholic until age 13 then they quit probably 'cause his Jewish mom used birth control.

He's NOT telling anyone to believe anything but to question Ur faith-without-reason. He brought up the silly biblical story of Jonah and the whale . . . one "Christian" said, "it wasn't a whale but a fish", Bill says, (paraphrased) "as if that makes it more believable . . . a big Tuna?"

He interviews a bible-believing U.S. Senator too . . . that was good! Sooo many of the ppl he interviews are stumped at the questions he gives them they (the person he questions) deadpans into the camera. . . . silence!

Last edited:
I do not want to see this movie at all.

I find Bill Maher to be extremely annoying. I use the word extreme because he is somewhat of an extremist. He's just as bad as any religious nut preaching that we must believe in ____

Honestly, I dont want to hear it from either side.

lol, he's just as bad as any religious nut? hardly. if you think that, you should DEFINITELY watch this movie!

I guess I can't say much considering I haven't seen the movie but-honestly what the hell do I care if someone else believes what the bible says?? Or any other religion for that matter. Why is it so fascinating to impose on other people's lives like that?

Very entertaining doco.

It admittedly has an enormous amount of flaws and is shamelessly manipulative but that somehow doesn't detract very much. I thought it was hilarious. Particularly the interviews with the U.S. Senator & the Second Coming of Christ. Great stuff.

He's just as bad as any religious nut

Is he?

Bill Maher: The only appropriate attitude for man to have about the big questions, is not the arrogant certitude that is the hallmark of religion, but doubt. Doubt is humble and that is what man needs to be

There are some pretty crazy religious nuts out there. Maybe before making such a wild and ridiculous accusations you should do him the courtesy of watching his film?

If organized religions can have a voice then why can't atheists/ agnostics?

How is it more offensive to offer an alternative/ contemporary perspective towards religion than it is to promote Christianity or Hinduism?

Shouldn't we listen to what everyone has to say?

I guess I can't say much considering I haven't seen the movie but-honestly what the hell do I care if someone else believes what the bible says?? Or any other religion for that matter. Why is it so fascinating to impose on other people's lives like that

For one, because there have been more wars in the name of religion than anything else.. and arguably the only way that we will ever survive as a species is to deconstruct our archaic spiritual beliefs and unite rather than killing each other over semantics.

Why do you find the idea of a film promoting agnosticism so offensive?

Are you religious?

Last edited:
I guess I can't say much considering I haven't seen the movie but-honestly what the hell do I care if someone else believes what the bible says?? Or any other religion for that matter. Why is it so fascinating to impose on other people's lives like that?

religion=wars

didn't mean to say the same thing as the above poster..

If you're religous, LoveAlways, what does your religion say about you being unmarried and pregnant?

I'm not religious, however I dont look down upon those who are.

I guess its because I grew up with my mother (who was raised catholic but then became atheist when i was like 5) bashing religion all the time and as I grew older I realized its just not worth it to have all that angst against a group of people IMO

Religion has been around since the begining of time, and yes so have wars. Both are as significant to our culture as art and science IMO

I appreciate the study of religion and its affects, but
If organized religions can have a voice then why can't atheists/ agnostics?
I dont appreciate "preachy-ness" which is what it seems like Bill Maher is doing.
Maybe before making such a wild and ridiculous accusations you should do him the courtesy of watching his film?
I agree. Just from what I've gathered from the previews and seeing his show and stand-up I see him as a used car salesmen trying to convince people of a certain view point

lol

but you're okay with the "preachyness" of religion? you're okay with people dying over a fairy tale, but you're not okay with other people having a problem with that? plenty of awful things are significant to cultures but that does not make it okay. women are raped and have their genitals mutilated in africa. it's part of their culture. does that make it acceptable? hardly. it's a mistake to believe that just because something has always happened or has been done before that it shouldn't be changed.

i'm an atheist but i don't have any angst and i don't even think about it most days. i get infuriated when i see the christian right trying to force morality down our throats. i get angry when i see religion influence politics, especially considering our politicians are not role models by any stretch of the imagination. we need more people like bill maher, who are in the public eye, to talk about the absurdity of religion.

you say 'it seems' but yet, you don't know, so since you don't, watch the movie, and then come back and tell us what you think. you'll probably still hate it because you have a bias, but you might not. i used to hate Michael Moore for similar reasons w/o actually watching him .. but now i almost kind of like him.

from what i remember of the movie, bill maher pretty much lets other people talk. i don't care for loudmouth jackasses even if i agree with their point of view and he is not like that in the movie.

As I've gotten older I've become more tolerant of religion. They have their beliefs and that's cool as long as they don't try to impose their weirdy ideas on everyone through legislation and the abuse of executive power then what the heck do I care? They have their bible studies and I have multiple orgasms in the back of Bed Bath & Beyond. No homo.

This is not a documentary, it's a comedy. Obviously. Maher picks on easy, super easy targets and it's funny as shit because of course their ideas are all gobbldygook but hey that's OK, I'm good at science and I don't know what's going to happen when I die or why I'm here either. When the stoner guy's hair caught on fire I nearly died laughing and that priest outside the Vatican also was incredible and I want to make love to him. No homo.