• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

do opiates make you hungry?

shmeglyn

Bluelighter
I just realized that when I take percocet or vicodin I don't neccessarily get the munchies persay but I almost have a little oral fixation and feel like snacking. Is that just me? Is this a dumbass "everybody knows that" question? My apologies if it is. I'm no pro.

Side question:Just curious, How often/how much do you take if you are on Rx painkillers? I seem to want them more often everyday and now it seems I'm taking them almost around the clock if I have a good supply. I used to only take them in the evening and bedtime to mellow out and wind down/watch tv, but now I like to feel good all day even when working or doing normal stuff. So I'll take up to 10 hydro's a day but it still doesn't do as much as I would like. And when I do my Rx only lasts 3 days or so.

1) Opiates make me want to have something sweet. Like a sweet drink.

2) Welcome to the world of addiction. When I began, was RXed 100 pills for 14 days & reached a point within 6 months, say, where I'd do 100 pills in a day. However, I needed then 13 days * 100 pills or an equivalent. I began then to get early refills etc. Man, it's a mad downward spiral, and it'll happen so quick you won't believe. Good luck with it dude.

It depends on the opiate. Most make me not hungry at all but oxycodone and hydromorphone make me want to eat and eat and eat (gained 60lbs in 3 months because of oxycodone). Ice cream is my favourite!

i do seem to notice it more with oxycodone than anything else. i think it's not hunger but a need to chew or taste - nothing like rolling, which I've only ever done twice, but a milder version of it.

I get sugar cravings when I've used codeine/morphine/pethidine. I know other ppl who say the same thing...
I think it's the skinny peniless junky who makes this phenomenon seem like a fallicy

Codeine does it for me, usually something either sweet or salty.

Jerky is the ultimate opiate food [proper Biltong though].

hydro's make me want to eat, combined with benzo's i am an unstoppable force. nothing stands in they way of me and my friend rice.

shmeglyn said:
Side question:Just curious, How often/how much do you take if you are on Rx painkillers? I seem to want them more often everyday and now it seems I'm taking them almost around the clock if I have a good supply. I used to only take them in the evening and bedtime to mellow out and wind down/watch tv, but now I like to feel good all day even when working or doing normal stuff. So I'll take up to 10 hydro's a day but it still doesn't do as much as I would like. And when I do my Rx only lasts 3 days or so.

This is how people become addicted, and I have found that Vicodin is the worst for me. I always want to take more. I have started taking one 15 mg MSIR in the morning and I have yet to want to redose by the end of the day. I'm sure that will change eventually with tolerance and what not, but so far so good. Plus, I don't really notice a buzz from it, so that is probably part of it as well. I never want to go back to that whole cycle again, but still need pain relief, so it's trial and error for now. :)

I always get sugar cravings. gotta' have everything sweet especially icecream.

Opiates make me hungry sometimes, but "Opiate use" doesn't. That sounds weird but it makes sense. Long term use of opiates for like, an entire week or more (rare these days), make me eat less in the long wrong. But at first, initial use of them will definitely allow me to pack more in my stomach than usual.

honestly, doin oxy makes me not want to eat. or if i do eat something while high, it's usually a couple spoonfuls of ice cream or a cookie - crap like that. there have been numerous days where i subsisted on a single starbucks coffee and a muffin or cinnamon bun, which i would usually puke back up anyway. seriously, i have lost like 25 pounds in the last year from doin oxy and not shit else. thanks oxycontin! :\

opiphoria said:
I always get sugar cravings. gotta' have everything sweet especially icecream.

^^^I was told in rehab once that you get these cravings cause drugs deplete the sugars and stuff in your body..
Thats why we get these cravings.. I get them to, infact I just ate 6 snicker bars a couple of hours ago. Dam those were good=D

Totally killed any hunger I felt
(This was with oxycontin)
First time speed might had something to do with it ;)
To be honest opiates if I can say since its limited to very few oc exp. make me so nauseus I'd throw up immedtialy if I even tried to eat.

about 3 hours into an opiate high i can eat almost non stop and not get full.

i've shocked myself and others with how much i can stuff down when im high.

i only weigh 150 lbs too lol.

Psilo707 said:
Opiates make me hungry sometimes, but "Opiate use" doesn't. That sounds weird but it makes sense. Long term use of opiates for like, an entire week or more (rare these days), make me eat less in the long wrong. But at first, initial use of them will definitely allow me to pack more in my stomach than usual.

agreed, but they still give a mini muchies like for something sweet

but pot, and benzos in particular give us full on muchies

clonazepom said:
Totally killed any hunger I felt
(This was with oxycontin)
First time speed might had something to do with it ;)
To be honest opiates if I can say since its limited to very few oc exp. make me so nauseus I'd throw up immedtialy if I even tried to eat.

I think it might be because you took to much Ocs..
Next time start with 5mg and go up from there..
Its weird but I've never even come close to feeling Ill from Opiates..
I've got a pretty hard stomach though

Tramado on the other hand makes me forget about eating completely some days. I get no buxx from it but I get the antidepressent/appetite suppressent effects which in turn make me some what euphoric in their own way since I"m losing weight! Lol. 15- 20 pounds to go! LOL

I don't get the munchies, but food sure does taste AMAZING when I do eat it high on hydrocodone or syrup!