PDA

View Full Version : do opiates make you hungry?

Pages : [1] 2

shmeglyn
11-06-2008, 22:03
I just realized that when I take percocet or vicodin I don't neccessarily get the munchies persay but I almost have a little oral fixation and feel like snacking. Is that just me? Is this a dumbass "everybody knows that" question? My apologies if it is. I'm no pro.

Side question:Just curious, How often/how much do you take if you are on Rx painkillers? I seem to want them more often everyday and now it seems I'm taking them almost around the clock if I have a good supply. I used to only take them in the evening and bedtime to mellow out and wind down/watch tv, but now I like to feel good all day even when working or doing normal stuff. So I'll take up to 10 hydro's a day but it still doesn't do as much as I would like. And when I do my Rx only lasts 3 days or so.

browntar
11-06-2008, 22:05
1) Opiates make me want to have something sweet. Like a sweet drink.

2) Welcome to the world of addiction. When I began, was RXed 100 pills for 14 days & reached a point within 6 months, say, where I'd do 100 pills in a day. However, I needed then 13 days * 100 pills or an equivalent. I began then to get early refills etc. Man, it's a mad downward spiral, and it'll happen so quick you won't believe. Good luck with it dude.

Smurfeh
11-06-2008, 23:59
It depends on the opiate. Most make me not hungry at all but oxycodone and hydromorphone make me want to eat and eat and eat (gained 60lbs in 3 months because of oxycodone). Ice cream is my favourite!

shmeglyn
12-06-2008, 02:12
i do seem to notice it more with oxycodone than anything else. i think it's not hunger but a need to chew or taste - nothing like rolling, which I've only ever done twice, but a milder version of it.

djsim
12-06-2008, 17:28
I get sugar cravings when I've used codeine/morphine/pethidine. I know other ppl who say the same thing...
I think it's the skinny peniless junky who makes this phenomenon seem like a fallicy

C_Tripper
12-06-2008, 18:47
Codeine does it for me, usually something either sweet or salty.

Jerky is the ultimate opiate food [proper Biltong though].

ussmak
13-06-2008, 09:34
hydro's make me want to eat, combined with benzo's i am an unstoppable force. nothing stands in they way of me and my friend rice.

justanotherperson
13-06-2008, 10:26
i get mad cravings for chocolate, but other sweet things will suffice

luvaluvagirl
13-06-2008, 23:02
Side question:Just curious, How often/how much do you take if you are on Rx painkillers? I seem to want them more often everyday and now it seems I'm taking them almost around the clock if I have a good supply. I used to only take them in the evening and bedtime to mellow out and wind down/watch tv, but now I like to feel good all day even when working or doing normal stuff. So I'll take up to 10 hydro's a day but it still doesn't do as much as I would like. And when I do my Rx only lasts 3 days or so.

This is how people become addicted, and I have found that Vicodin is the worst for me. I always want to take more. I have started taking one 15 mg MSIR in the morning and I have yet to want to redose by the end of the day. I'm sure that will change eventually with tolerance and what not, but so far so good. Plus, I don't really notice a buzz from it, so that is probably part of it as well. I never want to go back to that whole cycle again, but still need pain relief, so it's trial and error for now. :)

opiphoria
13-06-2008, 23:15
I always get sugar cravings. gotta' have everything sweet especially icecream.

Psilo707
14-06-2008, 00:22
Opiates make me hungry sometimes, but "Opiate use" doesn't. That sounds weird but it makes sense. Long term use of opiates for like, an entire week or more (rare these days), make me eat less in the long wrong. But at first, initial use of them will definitely allow me to pack more in my stomach than usual.

InTheZone614
14-06-2008, 01:35
honestly, doin oxy makes me not want to eat. or if i do eat something while high, it's usually a couple spoonfuls of ice cream or a cookie - crap like that. there have been numerous days where i subsisted on a single starbucks coffee and a muffin or cinnamon bun, which i would usually puke back up anyway. seriously, i have lost like 25 pounds in the last year from doin oxy and not shit else. thanks oxycontin! :\

Sportfisher39
14-06-2008, 04:49
I always get sugar cravings. gotta' have everything sweet especially icecream.

^^^I was told in rehab once that you get these cravings cause drugs deplete the sugars and stuff in your body..
Thats why we get these cravings.. I get them to, infact I just ate 6 snicker bars a couple of hours ago. Dam those were good=D

chicpoena
14-06-2008, 05:34
yes, I get the munchies worse on opiates than pot.

clonazepom
14-06-2008, 20:07
Totally killed any hunger I felt
(This was with oxycontin)
First time speed might had something to do with it ;)
To be honest opiates if I can say since its limited to very few oc exp. make me so nauseus I'd throw up immedtialy if I even tried to eat.

the_milkman
14-06-2008, 22:56
about 3 hours into an opiate high i can eat almost non stop and not get full.

i've shocked myself and others with how much i can stuff down when im high.

i only weigh 150 lbs too lol.

mcwally
14-06-2008, 23:20
Opiates make me hungry sometimes, but "Opiate use" doesn't. That sounds weird but it makes sense. Long term use of opiates for like, an entire week or more (rare these days), make me eat less in the long wrong. But at first, initial use of them will definitely allow me to pack more in my stomach than usual.

agreed, but they still give a mini muchies like for something sweet

but pot, and benzos in particular give us full on muchies

Sportfisher39
15-06-2008, 03:45
Totally killed any hunger I felt
(This was with oxycontin)
First time speed might had something to do with it ;)
To be honest opiates if I can say since its limited to very few oc exp. make me so nauseus I'd throw up immedtialy if I even tried to eat.

I think it might be because you took to much Ocs..
Next time start with 5mg and go up from there..
Its weird but I've never even come close to feeling Ill from Opiates..
I've got a pretty hard stomach though

shmeglyn
15-06-2008, 18:09
Tramado on the other hand makes me forget about eating completely some days. I get no buxx from it but I get the antidepressent/appetite suppressent effects which in turn make me some what euphoric in their own way since I"m losing weight! Lol. 15- 20 pounds to go! LOL

Lady Codone
15-06-2008, 18:50
I don't get the munchies, but food sure does taste AMAZING when I do eat it high on hydrocodone or syrup!

ladyinthesky
15-06-2008, 18:52
i dont get that hungry when i do opiates, i lose my appetite
i actually lost 25+ pounds because of that

limestoneman
15-06-2008, 19:22
No, but they do make me kind of thirsty, which is ftw, because taking a piss on heroin is the second greatest feeling in the world.

BingeBoy
15-06-2008, 21:26
^
you are kidding there right? Unless pissing like a girl turns you on.

I do get hungry on opiates , i used to think this was because when i wasnt on opiates i was queezy / sick but now that i use opiates occasionaly i still get hungry

negrogesic
15-06-2008, 21:37
Without question, opioids made me extremely hungry. This was very noticable because I have not historically been a big eater. I don't eat nearly as much now that I am off opioids, although I am a bit better about this as of late.

Opiates can impair your insulin response, which I suppose could result in the craving of sugars.

I remember reading a warning about the use of fentanyl patches in dogs, in which it suggested that dogs should be given limited access to food, as they may eat excessively.

Aeon Psyche
15-06-2008, 22:26
No, I never get more hungry on opiates then I normally am.

browntar
16-06-2008, 06:42
No, but they do make me kind of thirsty, which is ftw, because taking a piss on heroin is the second greatest feeling in the world.

What is it about heroin & pissing? I can stand there for hours & nothing comes out, not a drop, but I gotta go.

limestoneman
16-06-2008, 17:11
^
you are kidding there right? Unless pissing like a girl turns you on.

Wat.

What is it about heroin & pissing? I can stand there for hours & nothing comes out, not a drop, but I gotta go.
I piss just fine. You just gotta forget about it. I suppose if your nodding hard enough, it's not going to be possible.

shmeglyn
16-06-2008, 17:45
lol about the pissing comments.....never done heroin so i don't get it but ok....lol

McFly
16-06-2008, 18:33
I eat more than normal when i do H an Oxy. I get mad crisp cravings, lightly salted Doritos and salsa pretty much hit the spot, but ice cream, butteries and jam (Scottish thing) brownies, jam tarts hell any cake like thing will do me. Fruit also tastes extra good, fresh strawberries and melon, the flavour just explodes in my mouth :D

CII~360
16-06-2008, 18:38
Opiates kill my hunger with a vengance.
Plus food seems to kill my buzz for some reason.

You are the first I have heard that opiates had this effect.

GETYAGUN!!11
26-09-2008, 00:34
like weed, doing oxy only makes me hungry about 2 hours maybe an hour and a half after peak/insufflation....

QuasiStoned
26-09-2008, 06:14
I definitely get snacky after pod tea. I'd say it's fairly common.

oldfartyoungathart
26-09-2008, 20:15
heroin and chocolate milk are a marrage made in heaven

tokin'
27-09-2008, 02:45
heroin and chocolate milk are a marrage made in heaven

Haha - no doubt!

I always have a 1/2 gallon on hand after a dose...it's just...heaven.

tokin'
27-09-2008, 02:48
i dont get that hungry when i do opiates, i lose my appetite
i actually lost 25+ pounds because of that

I was the same way for 4 years until about 3 months ago...now I'm getting MAD cravings for sweets when I'm on them.

It's kind of odd...maybe once you are sick as hell, can't do anything, finally get something in your system and then get something in your stomach.

I know when I'm sick, I hardly drink or eat anything or do anything, for that matter.

paranoid android
27-09-2008, 03:59
Opiates always make me hungry but they especially make me hungry if ive been without them for awile then start taking them again. Even if im not dopesick. They just seem to increase my appetite and i tend to put on weight when im on them as well.

carsons_koolaid
27-09-2008, 04:49
i rarely eat when i'm on opiates... it ruins the buzz for me. i always take them on an empty stomach and don't eat till really late at night when i'm done taking pills for the day and my buzz wears off. they don't make me hungry at all.

StaffWriter
27-09-2008, 05:36
I get munchies for things like cereal. Def. sweets. I do the cereal thing because light and not too heavy as to ruin a buzz.

delphinen
27-09-2008, 22:33
Opiates does not makes me hungry, but opioids like Hydrocodone or Tramadol makes me hungry indeed.

ImSoFucked
28-09-2008, 00:02
They completely dimish my appetite. I find that I need to force myself to eat because I'll go too long without eating and start to get shaky. Plus, once I eat, I just get really tired and it kind of ruins a good nod. So, generally I don't eat until I'm ready to pass out for the night.

d-brock
28-09-2008, 03:30
I just realized that when I take percocet or vicodin I don't neccessarily get the munchies persay but I almost have a little oral fixation and feel like snacking. Is that just me? Is this a dumbass "everybody knows that" question? My apologies if it is. I'm no pro.

Vic's make me crave for chocolate. If you have a pretty good tolerance and you're addicted you will probably feel kind of shitty until you get your next script and probably eat like crap in the meantime...Once you get that script back and start taking them, you'll feel good and normal again which will make you want to eat like crazyyyyy. Which is good because you prbably need it. I don't know how you are and everyone is different but with the little info you gave this is my opinion.... What are you taking exactly, I mean the mg's of your vicodin. Tolerance is a bitch and addiction is a bitch and it happens before you know it yourself. Scripts are a bitch also because they're gone in a day...lol I know plenty of people to get them off the street....<3 opiates

McFly
28-09-2008, 12:30
I deffinetly eat more sweet stuff and at times i dont normally eat, like late at night just as i'm feeling sleepy i usually wander downstairs for a scone and jam or cheese and crackers. I keep a box of oreos next to my bed now :)

This might sound daft, but its all these little connection that make this forum fun like the "omg you do/eatthat to?!" kinda shit? does that make sense?

Yes i'm high.

tennmile
09-01-2009, 01:35
I eat light and healthy when using opiates. Lots of fruit and salads. Fruit satisfies any desire for sugar but I do tend to lose some weight when I'm using for more than a couple weeks at a time. And folks comment on the weight loss.

Good thing I only chip around a couple months out of the year.

silentscience
09-01-2009, 02:04
they totally make me hungry. but I don't eat cause it wrecks the buzz!

xxsicknessxx
09-01-2009, 03:22
Coming from a X opiate addict, I will tell you this. You can take them and enjoy them, or you can take them becasue you have to just to live. Just to get through work, through the day, through a movie, to talk to a old friend, or anything!!

It will get so out of hand so fast its not funny. Opiates are fun but there there side effects are crummy.

Things to return to me after quitting opiates daily.

Sex drive, Hunger, Energy, Strength, Muscle, Friends, memory, tips. (I work better) oh ya and going to the bathroom like normal..

Things I miss.

Not being so Bord. Pills made hours go by, but its just not worth it. I just feel so much better now its not funny. I still take them for fun but im trying to cut that out too. Stop while you can, most people dont......

Binge Artist
09-01-2009, 17:47
well, I do seem to be hungry on opiates. But paradoxically, whenever I'm strung out, I'm always thin. Probably because I'd prefer spending money on drugs than food.

woodandink
09-01-2009, 17:52
i don't seem to get all that hungry on opiates, but i elect to not eat while on them anyway, for other reasons

Krowsnose
09-01-2009, 18:15
For me, they just make me enjoy all the good things in life. like food.

I remember nodding hard one time and going to the fridge for some juice. In my mind I was saying "fuck yea, I love this juice"

breh529
09-01-2009, 18:20
theres nothing better to do than eat a bowl of mac and cheese and a hot pocket after swallowing three percs.

toastedpanda
10-01-2009, 10:46
Yup, particularly scenes I usually smoke bud with my opiates.