Heads Up and Member Feedback - Your opinions on the future of the site :)

Jay-P Gold said:
he spelled it correctly if he were british. dude's profile says he is from richmond, ca, so he should spell it according to american custom.
he lives there, he's not from there. the dude is scottish. %)

now we've cleared that up, let's get back on topic.

I like the layout of the forums the way it is, its easily accesible, and mapped out good.

Keep up the good work.

is it hard to add a virtual keyboard to software for logins? which may help people typing their passwords more securely? such thing would be awesome:)

Don't know if it has been mentioned before...

It would be nice to have a script that removes usernames from threads when the user wishes to leave Bluelight.

I think this would be good for a number of reasons:

1. When a person leaves BL, they must have a good reason, and as such would not want to be identified on the BL forums once they have withdrawn their membership.

2. For legal reasons. I think it would be great to have a backdoor exit for members who are worried about something they have said or written on BL which may incriminate them.

Of course I am not suggesting that we remove the posts, only the user name attached to that post.

I guess we could always say: It's the internet... nobody cares. But I am not so sure anymore. Especially with all the legal battles being fought over Facebook etc.

Please can we have a "Remove User Name" script that is activated when members leave.

My other idea is for a BL library. For this though we would need a lot of server space, and a lot of man hours to sort the good from the bad.

Last edited:
nabollocks said:
Please can we have a "Remove User Name" script that is activated when members leave.

My other idea is for a BL library. For this though we would need a lot of server space, and a lot of man hours to sort the good from the bad.
i quite like that first idea, but i have no idea if it's possible. however, the usual advice applies: don't say anything that might incriminate yourself on bluelight. use a username that won't help to identify yourself. :)

please tell us a bit more about your second idea. what sort of thing would you like to see in this library?

Well, I think this library should be set up by forum name, so each forum has its own library.

We could have a permanent library where papers, journals etc that have been approved by mods, admins, etc could be stored.

We would also need a temporary upload zone, where people could share information, with the possibility of it being stored in the BL library based on BL user opinion, and maybe even ranking of interest etc.

I think this would enable us to be more 'Networked' with regard to our information. We would be able to point to our own servers when referencing journals, papers, abstracts... and I just think this would increase the knowledge available to the average drug user.

This is all in the name of harm reduction, and like you said in one of your earlier posts, drawing the gap between drug companies and the end user ever closer.

Like I said, it would require a lot of man hours and work to separate the rubbish from the gold though.

I would be happy to put my hand up to read through papers that are passed forward for a BL peer review :)

If you would like a more detailed explanation, please let me know.

Copyright might be an issue, but this is something we would need to look at.

mikemikemike said:
Thanks, though the latter part of my post was a joke, I truly didn't know that there was a chat here.

SUPPORT is serewius bidnizz ;)

nabollocks, I'll admit what I'm reading for your proposal both meshes, and expands, some of what we've wanted to do and have already attempted to implement.

Case in point, we've got a dusty old set of FAQs, but the ones relevant to various forums aren't always linked, nor are they read all that much :\ Outdated? Misplaced? Not sure ... but it appears there is room to improve this so we've been testing the concept of a staff (member?) maintained wiki for such info, but we're still trying to test software that can integrate well enough with our existing site software.

Likewise, last year we launched our DRUG STUDIES forum in an effort to connect researchers with our membership, as it provieds a win-win for both sides and furthers the efforts of HR and drug education. Part of the arrangement is to do everything in our power to have the results of those studies published in ways that are easily accessible to our membership. This sounds like it somewhat relates to your ideas, not perfectly or completely, but somewhat. And we've been struggling to refine this forum and it's information. We're alway open to ideas on that as well. I'll point out that some of the regional forum likes EADD and AusDD have historically hosted such threads locally, and several of our forums have MEGA threads that are also excellent resources of information...just packed away in corners of the site and not known or easily found across the site as well as we'd like.

Then again, we've got some excellent information in DITM - which has a lot of legal articles linked for discussion but also some research information.

I guess what I'm driving at is that we have a mish-mash of ideas that have been tried over time, and what worked well at one time may not currently be the best solution. New ideas like yours, heck yeah they are worth discussing and considering as we move forward. There'd be some grumbling if we try to change how things currently are for some active areas, but so long as we find ideas and can implement them in ways that best serve our members and the world at large, then I think we'd be able to move ahead. It just needs proper discussion and planning (and ideas!). Let me run a few things past the staff, but perhaps we can spin this point into a different discussion ;) Give us a moment.

Charging cash to join (but not to read - harm prevention is the main goal and articles pertaining to such topics should be ) would seriously increase the quality of the site and prevent children from asking if they can snort vicodin every ten seconds. It worked for somethingawful.com. The best part is that when a member is in violation they get the boot and would have to seriously consider rejoining as their fee is on the line.

This would allow a more tightknit and quality community as trolls/morons/failures will rarely pay to fuck with somebody.

^^You would also miss a very educated subgroup that can not be bothered paying money to join a site... Why would you when you have database access to journals and the likes? Just trying to keep it in perspective.

HR is about helping those without money just as much as it is for people with money.

Have an option to delete all your posts at once

Just in case, yaknow?

nabollocks said:
^^You would also miss a very educated subgroup that can not be bothered paying money to join a site... Why would you when you have database access to journals and the likes? Just trying to keep it in perspective.

HR is about helping those without money just as much as it is for people with money.

This site is not cheap to run...at all. Funding is an issue.

If people can read all the forums and utfse, then they have access to harm reduction.

It seems like a lot of new people ask the same questions over and over. If there was a sticky describing how to search, etc, that would help

felix said:
there is. right here in support:

A Guide to Searching Bluelight

thereby proving the fact that people don't read stickies. ever.

Maybe not quite ever but you do have a very valid point.

One of the reasons why I feel that Mods should be permitted to have sig lines to advertise pertinent stuff for there forum.

Every bit of advertising helps to reduce the number of people who miss the important announcements.

Announcements that could save lives.

Got an Ecstasy question? Click here for comprehensive assistance.

I don't know if this has been said before or not, but being able to edit your vote(s) in polls would be very nice.

MazDan said:
Maybe not quite ever but you do have a very valid point.

One of the reasons why I feel that Mods should be permitted to have sig lines to advertise pertinent stuff for there forum.

Every bit of advertising helps to reduce the number of people who miss the important announcements.

Announcements that could save lives.

Got an Ecstasy question? Click here for comprehensive assistance.

You know thats not a bad idea man, I agree with you on that.