Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Pills + 5_Htp

Iconoclast

Bluelighter
I had two pills last night, a pink disc and a pink ralph lauren. after dropping those one first then one an hour later I came up nicely and was happy as larry for a good 3-4 hours until I plateud.

Ive just got some 5_htp in from iHerb ( arrived in a week and no customs intervention) so I decided to have a 100mg cap as I was coming down.

Now I felt good as it was and I didnt know what to expect from the 5-htp, as far as I can tell I was awake, I felt good, I wasnt tired as I should have been at 4am in the morning and I went to bed but couldnt sleep so got up again.

I then took a Myrsendol forte as they normally make me sleep but this took a good two hours to kick in before I could finally rest.

I feel ok today, nothing out of the ordinary, I slept in til 3pm which isnt weird. IM just curious as to other peoples experiences taking 5-htp with other substances or alone, I just had another 100mg cap with some food so Ill see what happens.

What are the effects of 5-htp alone suposed to be besides what Ive read about.?

cheers

in your case, IMHO - placebo...

5HTP takes a lot longer than that to be converted into serotonin...therefore taking it on the comedown wont do shit for the comedown!

your body needs time and additional enzymes to convert 5HTP into serotonin - it is not a quick fix E comedown pill!

if you are really serious about looking after your serotonin reserves then dont take MDMA!

What are the effects of 5-htp alone suposed to be besides what Ive read about.?
5-htp hasn't yet proven to do anything, but the theory is that it's converted into serotonin, which, if true, could be of real aid to mdma users.
if you are really serious about looking after your serotonin reserves then dont take MDMA
that's going a little far IMO, the brain will replenish the serotinin naturally within a few weeks time as long as the OP used mdma "safely"

Im only relaying the feelings I had last night, whether they are a result of the 5-htp or not is another thing, as I said the only real difference is that I was not as tired or sleepy as I normally was.

Ive had another capsule today and as far as I can tell, I just feel pretty normal.

So, Im just experimenting and interested to see what if any effects the 5-htp has on me as opposed to those it has on others. Im not ruling out the placebo effect as that is entirely possible in that I took it with the intention of seeing what happened not as a fix for my comedown, I dont really get comedowns anyway.

cheers for the input though:)

meh iv al;ways taken abtu 300mg of htp at a time which helps me sleep a bit and gives me cool fucking dreams but.

I duno what your asking. Its not a quick fix. its helps eh um ..gambelng is fun

delta_9 said:
5-htp hasn't yet proven to do anything

QFT.

I went through heaps of the crap as apparently it is the 'building blocks' of seretonin.

What a crock. It does nothing except cost a lot of money.

Its the MDMA users snake oil IMO.

Do yourself a favour and buy urself 3 more pills for the price u'd pay for this stuff :p

Iconoclast said:
Im only relaying the feelings I had last night, whether they are a result of the 5-htp or not is another thing, as I said the only real difference is that I was not as tired or sleepy as I normally was.

I would say the 5-HTP had nothing to do with you not being tired, unless it acted as a placebo... or one of the pills you ate had meth in it which kept you awake, which is very likely.

5-htp hasn't yet proven to do anything

As far back as 2001, Mendelson and colleagues demonstrated in lab rats (and mice, if memory serves...) that supplements of 5HTP or L-tryptophan, markedly decreased axon damage from high doses of MDMA.

Personally, while I don't dispute the potential effectiveness of 5HTP, other concerns arise. The mechanisms for 5HTP metabolism are not so straight forward, and it's obvious that under normal circumstances (i.e. without MDMA) large doses of 5HTP are not all converted to 5HT (serotonin). If it was, potential for serotonin syndrome would be high, and products containing 5HTP would have been banned long ago.

Tryptophan, which is the natural precursor to 5HTP, is converted via a rate limiting step involving tryptophan hydroxylase. MDMA is known to inhibit this enzyme, so logic would say that while under the influence of MDMA, Tryptophan would be less effective at restoring 5HT levels than the direct precursor to serotonin; 5HTP. However, those who dismiss the effectiveness of L-tryp have generally not used it as a neuro-protectant/5HT replenishing supplement.

Back when I was doing MDMA regularly, I always tried to pre-load with L-tryp. and always found it to be effective. Indeed, even taken post MDMA, it's effects were felt in minutes. So, while the simple model of metabolism (i.e. Tryp-->5HTP-->5HT) indicates it would be basically ineffective at replenishing serotonin, experience says differently. In fact, I've yet to find anyone who's tried it, that says L-tryp is ineffective in this regard.

What this shows, is that serotonin metabolism is not as straight forward as it might seem. While 5-HTP can be converted to 5HT via aromatic L-amino acid decarboxylase, another pathway exists involving the formation of 5-Hydroxy-N-formylkynurenine via indoleamine 2,3-dioxygenase. It may very well be that 'excess' 5HTP is metabolised via this pathway, which doesn't raise serotonin levels.

So, while tryptophan and 5HTP are probably not a "cure-all" for MDMA induced neurotoxicity, both have a demonstrated ability to reduce toxicity. Whether this is directly connected to increased 5HT levels, or some other mechanism, has yet to be proven.

Originally Posted by Iconoclast

Both 5HTP and L-tryp will make you feel tired. I found L-tryp normally works within a 1/2 hour. Theoretically, 5HTP should work faster. Reasons for this are possibly related directly to 5HT, or to increased melatonin biosynthesis, or another of the several catabolic products of serotonin.

^^^ Thanks for the reply, sounds like it may have been something else that kept me awake for so long the other night other than 5-htp. Maybe it was just me. Im not a high user of mdma or mdxx and Im taking 200mg of 5-htp a day now to see what if any effects there are.

i also just bought just 5-htp. i dont know what to do with it! iv heard it potentiates mdma and eases the comedown. how true are these? and when should one take the 5-htp in relation to dosing the mdma.

flipthecandy said:
i also just bought just 5-htp. i dont know what to do with it! iv heard it potentiates mdma and eases the comedown. how true are these? and when should one take the 5-htp in relation to dosing the mdma.

You should not take 5htp as a potentiator as it can, for some people, completely negate the effects of mdma. I know of one person who took 5htp between their first and second pill, so they would have enough serotonin to peak just as hard; they found themselves surprisingly sober for the rest of the night. To avoid this, you should stop taking 5htp on the Thursday night prior (if you are taking mdma on a Saturday).

In relation to post-dosing, to reduce brain damage most significantly it should really be taken no more than 3-4 hours after dosing mdma (this is when most brain damage occurs). However if you are still peaking then, there is no point in wrecking your good time and you should take it just before you start to comedown (30 mins or so before), to allow time for the 5htp to absorb before you start getting those come-down feelings.

Im taking 200mg every morning, havent had any pills since the last time I posted but will pop a report up as soon as that changes.