Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

☛ Official ☚ [Mushrooms Subthread] Different Strains & Cultivation

BellababE

Bluelighter
Mushrooms Subthread: Different Strains & Cultivation

Discuss here everything about different types of mushrooms and various strains. This thread is also about cultivating them or hunting them in the wild! We do not ID your description or photos of mushrooms, also be aware that hunting mushrooms is dangerous if you are not an experienced mycologist.

Visit the Shroomery for extensive data on cultivation, harvesting, hunting and just about any other aspect of mushrooms.
For another very fine mushroom forum (especially including cultivation), one with a particularly beautiful attitude, go to Mycotopia.

Back to: [Main Mushrooms Thread]
mushroom-room-escape-50.jpg

The Adding Tryptamines to Mushroom Substrate Thread

[original post:]

This has not been a topic in a long while, and i am curious to find out about recent techniques of todays pizza topping cultivateurs.
Any unique growing styles, or methods...what makes your cultivation work? Are you happy with your yields, or have you had to deal with contamination?
I dont know how many responses this will get, as i dont know if there are that many growers out there; but even if you know one, add some feedback!

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried the double d greenhouse (no sources) but i can't get the mycelia to grow. I was using liquid culture inoculum and i did pressure cook my jars, followed all the directions in The Mushroom Cultivator book, it just wouldn't work so i finally gave up, besides, I am in Florida, I can just go into the pasture and get some.

Since my age and in-experience, i'm still using the Brown rice flour, canning jar method. But hey, Gets good yeilds and is easy as hell. But anyways, I have a random question that I hope someone can help with. I'm growing the strain "PF" from fanaticus and i went back there the other day and read this
During the middle of 2001, the PF spore race shroom suffered a genetic breakdown related to the appearance of the PF albino mutant shroom. The effected PF spore race strains fruit poorly and sparsely, with not much of any invitro performance. The germination of the spores is good and the mycelium looks just fine, but the fruiting is very poor.
Has anyone experienced this??? I really hope i didn't do all this for crappy fruiting results. Thanks to anyone that can help

does anyone have any personal methods/kits that have worked especially well?...I am interested in obtaining a spore kit and was wondering if anybody can add some credibility to any company in particular...thanks everybody...

DO NOT, I REPEAT DOOOO NOT ORDER A KIT.
Kits are pure rip offs, everything you find in a kit can either be easily bought at a much cheaper price or actually made in less time then it takes for the product to be shipped to you and will be cheaper most of the time.
There is a wealth of spore vendors out there, go check out the shroomery vendor forums. I use mycotek personally, I think their website is (no sources)
Right now I am using brown rice flour with half pint cakes via the mmgg. I am having a slow colonization right now maybe due to CO2 build up or just weak spores.
[ 26 January 2002: Message edited by: Syd_Barret ]

yeah, i definetely agree with Syd here. DO NOT ever buy a kit. they are totally worthless and overpriced. start off with the brown rice and jars method, and go from there.

See The Shroomery: The Magic Mushroom Growers Guide.
Follow it - it works.
And yeah - skip the kits. Waste of money. Buy a spore syringe. After your first yield you can make your own with spore prints.
The stuff to grow mushrooms is dirt cheap. One thing to spring money on, though - an ultrasonic humidifier. It's worth it - trust me.
[ 26 January 2002: Message edited by: Cokeboy ]

Cokeboy, that depends.
I live in an area where a humidity level of 65% is not uncommon less then a handful of perlite will bring me to aboout a 95% rh.

I knew it was a bad idea, but since it takes about 3 weeks for the 1/2 pint jars to turn fully white, i thought id just leave them in the closet when i went home for the winter...I knew they needed at least 65 degrees, but i figured 55 would just make them grow slower...
Well, i came back in Jan. to find out I was an idiot, half of them had no change at all (PF Tek Method btw) a few had "some" white, and a few others were infected, though the contamination's in a couple of them actually looked kind of cool...
So now im restarting, Ive got all my materials so its only going to cost me another 15 for syringes...
Ive read like 3 techs, but im still unclear as to where Perlite comes in (i bought some anyways) - Whene the jar's are white/gently emtptied into the Terrarium, they need Humidity to be high, and Perlite helps this i know, but how exactly does one go about this? Thanx a lot...sorry for rambling too much =)

at least 65?
LOL
No sir, no way.
I'd say 70 degrees is the absolute lowest they will colonize in, your goal should be to have an ambient air temp of 84. This can be achieved by using a cooler as an incubation chamber and using an aquarium heater to hear the whole thing while it is submerged in water.
Perlite maintains humidity by "whicking" up water into the air creating a high humidity which the cakes suck onto.

i had the most success with the colonization of the jars when i added a bit more water than is recommended... i did three sets of jars at a time, one was with the recommended amount of water, one witha about 1/8th cup more, the third with about 1/4 cup more, and the wetter they were the faster they grew (some of the "recomended" jars didn't fully colonize before they dried up and died)...
and perlite is cheap, easy, and VERY successful.
Peace!

Yes, more water=better yields and pretty much better everything.. Except in relation to contams.
Too much water in a jar is bad though if you have alot of water in there it will stunt the myco growth or totally stop it.

try making a spherical cut down the middle of the cake, like a donut hole through the whole thing, and filling it with moist vermiculite, this will keep humidity within the cake ideal, without losing surface growing area.

Yeh, you may not lose much surface area but you are going to lose an amount of substrate that the cake needs. The brf cake already has little nutrients as it is, no sense in taking any away.
Just use the dunk tek between flushes or simply use the double ended pf casing tek. Or even better use a real casing tek. Such as a 50/50 or a straight verm. Coco fiber if ya really want the best.

Perlite is used to increase the surface area of water that is exposed to air and thus increase the humidity.
As for kits, it is true you dont need one, but the one by sporechicks is great. Saves you a ton of time and measureing and almost guarentees results. I hear all others suck.
An example, the ****** even poke the holes in the top of the ball jars and cover them with tinfoil, include two misters, one with disinfectant and one with water + peroxide etc.
all in all a great kit and worth the money.
Unless you are an expert or just want to extract from the mycellum, use the brown rice & vermiculite method.

NO SOURCES!

Are you mad man?
Search the Shroomery forums, many people got ripped by *******.
Order from ***** or *******. Those are quality vendors, or whatever vendor ya fancy they are all good if they have an add up with the shroomery or the forest floor.

Just a query, I live in an area with an average humidity of 50-60% and temperature of around 20-25 degrees for when I plan on growing. can I expect a good yield if I follow the PF Tek on the shroomery? If not what else can I do to help it? I really don't want to have to shell out for heaters etc. at this point in time if I dont have to.

Is that Celcius (sp) or F?
Yer humidity is good.........
I am guessing that is F temp so yes you would need heaters, but dont worry you can make a heated terranium for cheap.
Buy an aquarium heater (the cheaper ones are best because they do not shut off when the desired temp is reached, they just keep heating)
Get a cheap syrofoam cooler, use that as an incubation chamber with the aquarium heater in a water bottle inside the cooler. Let the jars colonize, now you can turn that cooler into a fruiting chamber fairly easily... it would be better to get a separate one but anyways.
Look there is no need for a shroom growing thread on bluelight. If you are intrested in cultivation and related things go to the shroomery or the forestfloor.org

I have a few questions, I would greatly apprecitate it if, someone could help me out here. Thanks
#1. How many attempts, did it take you guys to get a good harvest going? (Using the brown rice/Vermiculite style)
What I mean by good harvest is, some mushrooms, like maybe an 1/8th? Did you grow any your first time?
#2. Using a 1/2 pint cake jar size, how many mushrooms on average would this produce (in grams)
#3. Would anyone be able to reccommend a certain variety of spore syrniges that would go good, with a brown rice,vermiculite style of system.
#4. What steps would you guys reccomend for sterlization?

http://www.shroomery.com/
http://www.theforestfloor.org/
http://www.theomc.com/forums/index.cfm?CFID=70805&CFTOKEN=8607977
Everything you could ever dream about doing with shrooms can be found within those pages. All answers are in there. Let's answer the questions anyways..
1. Yes in terms for 3.5 gram harvest, I have ahchieved that, and it was my first time growing.
2. It's all relative, but in the range of like 3-6 grams dry.
3. B+, Equador, really all of them are good. Ask about this at the shroomery or do a search.
4. Pressure cooker, and don't settle for less. Buy one at ***********