Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Party's Over for New Pills

bustabraincell

Bluelighter
Party's over for new pills
By ANNA CHALMERS and LANE NICHOLS - The Dominion Post | Saturday, 10 May 2008

A dramatic increase in people being admitted to hospital with severe reactions to party pills has experts calling for urgent action.

Four to five patients are being admitted to Wellington Hospital on a typical Saturday night after taking the new- generation pills, emergency doctor Paul Quigley says.

Patients were scared, jittery and anxious. "We're getting semi-hysterical type reactions." Other reported symptoms include insomnia and vomiting.

Dozens of new pills flooded the market last month, replacing BZP varieties whose sale was banned from April 1.

"BZP really didn't make much of an impact in Wellington, but certainly over the past few weekends we've noticed a change," Dr Quigley said.

Neuroblast, which was introduced last year, appeared to be a particular problem, and he believed much of the patient influx was due to a rush of users trying the new pills.

BZP and six similar substances used to make the original party pills were made class C drugs - the same as cannabis - under last month's law change.

Retailers and drug campaigners warned the Government before the BZP ban that it would not solve the problem. Health Minister Jim Anderton, who pushed for reform, has said a "regrettable flaw" in the legal system allows suppliers to sell pills without having to prove their safety.

Many of the new pills are marketed as "herbal", but medical experts disagree. Ingredients include guarana, citrus aurantium, poppy seed, magnesium sterate and dicalcium phosphate.

The Health Ministry confirmed last month it is investigating the pills and has arranged testing through Environmental Science and Research.

A spokesman said last night the results would be available soon.

Drug Foundation director Ross Bell was not surprised young users were getting sick and said the situation was dangerous.

"We don't know what's in them so it's impossible for us to get information out there. These things have no age restrictions; they can be sold anywhere to anyone."

Medical Research Institute of New Zealand director Richard Beasley, who cancelled a study into BZP pills after participants had severe reactions, said the jump in admissions was of concern.

It was a case of deja vu - "another adverse experience with products being brought in without being tested".

Mr Anderton has said a Law Commission review of the Misuse of Drugs Act will look at moving the burden of proof to manufacturers.

But Matt Bowden, one of the first BZP-based party pill manufacturers, said the drugs should not have been banned.

Twenty-six million pills had been consumed over eight years by about 400,000 people with "zero deaths and no significant lasting injuries".

"Consumers do want to use safe alternatives to illegal drugs. [But] if someone gets a new novel drug that doesn't have a history of human testing, then it's unwise to put that on the market."

stuff.co.nz

Does the phrase "told you so" ring any bells?

Edit- Added link. lil angel15

Last edited by a moderator:
Be interesting to know which pills caused the dramas, besides neuroblast (of which I can find no info) and wondering if it includes any Israeli products...:\

AFAIK, no-one even knows what's in the new ones (well, obviously the manufacturers do).

My dad used to sell the BZP ones in his shop - they all showed exactly what was in them; he was planning on switching over to the new ones, but even he didn't know what they were - just that his suppliers had said they were new and good :(

We had a system where BZP was legal, controlled and age restricted. Now we have non-controlled, non-restricted drugs. Dumb dumb dumb.

"Patients were scared, jittery and anxious. "We're getting semi-hysterical type reactions." Other reported symptoms include insomnia and vomiting."
My partner experienced this with less than half a diablo xxx. ingredients similar to those mentioned in article. I strongly urge those(especially if u have low tolerance to drugs) and are contemplating trying these shit products, to try very small doses. better still don't have them at all. and if u absolutely must, make sure u r with good friends and in a familiar environment.

Yet another good reason to legalize substances like MDMA which are very low risk when taken in moderation and produce a very pleasant euphoria. By outlawing MDMA, the market for intoxicants will be full of legal garbage that causes more harm than the illegal substances the government is trying to "protect" you from.

Uh, insomnia and vomiting? WTF do you expect, that's what recreational drugs usually do to you. Insomnia isn't even a 'side effect', as people take party pills to STAY AWAKE AND PARTY.

Coolio said:
Uh, insomnia and vomiting? WTF do you expect, that's what recreational drugs usually do to you. Insomnia isn't even a 'side effect', as people take party pills to STAY AWAKE AND PARTY.

?? Not sure what recreational drugs make you vomit and stay awake? Insomnia is a side effect when the party is over, its the next morning and you just want to get some goddamn sleep. MDMA might make you vomit on the comeup, speed might keep you awake... but I'd steer clear of something that made me vomit and avoid sleep.. doesn't sound like fun... :\

Well that about does it!

First of all you need to be over 18 to buy spray paint!!!!!

AND EVERY SUBSTANCE KNOWN TO MAN IS "BANNED" (NOT ALLOWED FOR THE GENERAL POPULATION)

Then they ban BZP!!!!!! OMG W T F AM I going to do.?

Jenkem anyone? :D

Doofus... let's see... alcohol, amphetamines and MDMA, almost all phenethylamine and most tryptamine psychedelics, barbiturates, cocaine, all opiates... they all cause a good portion of people to vomit a good portion of the time they use these drugs, especially at the higher doses.

As far as insomnia... all stimulants, psychedelics, and for many people all opiates, keep you awake until the drug wears off.

Stimulants, psychedelics, and opiates are the good recreational drugs anyways. : P

stealthtrucker said:
AND EVERY SUBSTANCE KNOWN TO MAN IS "BANNED" (NOT ALLOWED FOR THE GENERAL POPULATION)

QFFFT

I nearly got refused 10 packets of morning glory seeds yesterday from a nursery. The manager asked me what i was doing, obviously i was "planting them to cover the fence around our house..", then she did the whole subtle i-know-what-your-really-doing attitude and tried to get my home phone number.

ffs, i paid for the goods - i can use them however the fuck i want :p

next thing you know we're going to have to provide photo ID when buying blocks of cheese just in case if someone's trying to do an extraction on casomorphin 8)

More than often, people that have reported such negative reactions to benzylpiperazine (i.e. 'party pills') have taken it with alcohol, which is not advised on the packaging. I've been shooting this stuff for ages, and I've had no problems, just the usual stimulant effects. It's hardly worth being a Class C drug. However, Anderton has to do the "right" thing in the year of an election... typical. Now, the party-pills for sale on the street are cut with all sorts of crap, often white pepper, which is, in my opinion, an example of why prohibition doesn't work... obviously.

I think they should kill the person who invented/makes piperazines. Its a horrible drug.

^^^^ had bzp/piperazine pill in a recent uk trip, horrible come down, yuk, wont be rushing to have one again, good luck NZ

Almost all these 'party pills' are fucking horrible. BZP was terrible and the 'next generation' pills are even worse. There are a lot of Cathenone analogues being used (again nasty shit in my opinion, harder on the cardiovascular system than MDMA by miles), other shit like Dyphenyl-pyrodinyl-methanol (keeps you up for days). There are some seriously unethical vendors in this industry, and they're selling people hardcore RC's and pretending that they're herbal blends or giving punters just the vaguest hint of what might be in them.

I think they're greedy bastards, sucking satans cock and foisting nasty chems on unsuspecting members of the public. And some of the companies in NZ still try to use the 'drug harm minimisation solution' route for marketing their poison. :p

BZP was good the first few times, sucked after that (IME). But some of the variants were OK - mEoPP (or whatever) was a very pleasant drug in lowish doses (never tried high doses). THAT should not have been banned, because there's zero research on whether it's bad or not, and it certainly doesn't hit as hard as BZP.

Coolio: I see your point, but it's not like MDMA or alcohol make most people vomit most times they take them...