bustabraincell

Bluelighter
Mods, feel free to tidy up this post...Source is NZ herald on line 1 may 08

Rescue medics discover good use for notorious drug
5:00AM Friday May 02, 2008
By Beck Vass

Ketamine_230.jpg

Ketamine has been linked to date-rapes. Photo / Supplied

A notorious drug linked to date rape is being used by paramedics because it is a better painkiller than morphine in some emergencies.

The decision to use ketamine, which is also known as a party drug, follows a study by Auckland's Westpac rescue helicopter paramedics on 44 patients between January 2005 and October last year.

Advanced paramedics from St John Ambulance are also now using the drug, and have trained about 160 staff nationwide to administer it.

Auckland Rescue Helicopter Trust medical director Dr John Orton told the Herald that ketamine superseded morphine in many situations.

"Certain pains are fairly easily manageable with morphine-type drugs, but the excruciating acute pain of acute injury is extremely hard to get on top of with morphine," Dr Orton said.

"We're talking about 10 tonne tractors rolled on top of people ... or typical quad bike idiots on Muriwai Beach. They flip it and they've got two broken legs below the knee pointing at right angles but otherwise they're uninjured.

"You've got to straighten these limbs out and splint them. If you try to do that without this sort of agent, it's horrible - you cause excruciating discomfort. So to be able to do this in the field is a major bonus."

Mr Orton said ketamine had been used in medicine for 50 years, but its use in the field, outside a hospital environment, was new.

"Certainly in New Zealand this is the first time it was done," he said.

"What's unique for New Zealand and virtually unprecedented in Australia is to get advanced paramedics to use it in a pre-hospital setting."

Dr Orton said ketamine had some risks, but there were also risks with morphine, including the fact it slowed a patient's breathing, blood pressure and circulation.

Morphine was also not suitable for some head injuries.

"Ketamine has a very, very low risk profile in all those regards and you cannot say that about morphine," he said.

"The risks and the downside are practically nil and the advantages are enormous."

Auckland University associate professor of clinical pharmacology Dr Peter Black said the use of ketamine posed a small risk of medical complications, such as an irregular heart beat, and was also unsuitable for people with epilepsy.

But "there would seem to be no reason paramedics shouldn't use it provided the patient is appropriately monitored," Dr Black said.

St John Ambulance medical director Dr Tony Smith said advanced paramedics had used ketamine on about 100 patients in five months.

Reported side effects included hallucinations or bad dreams, but there had been no epilepsy or heart-related complications.

KETAMINE
* Can be snorted, injected, smoked or put in liquid and drunk.
* Used as a party drug.
* Used by vets and doctors as an anaesthetic.
* Has been associated with date rape cases.
HOW IT HELPS
* Emergency services say it is ideal for rescues where patients:
* Are trapped in or under a vehicle, or in machinery.
* Where "angulated fractures" have occurred and broken bones must be straightened while a patient is conscious.

NZ Herald

Last edited by a moderator:
Getting your legs snapped back into place from right angles on ketamine would be a pretty intense trip methinks 8o Interesting article, would love to hear about this happening in Australia.

"The risks and the downside are practically nil and the advantages are enormous."

They can't say that!

Interesting news though.

Doooofus said:
Getting your legs snapped back into place from right angles on ketamine would be a pretty intense trip methinks 8o Interesting article, would love to hear about this happening in Australia.

Word!

two broken legs below the knee pointing at right angles but otherwise they're uninjured.

arrrrrgh that made me cringe.

more power to ye, paramedics. A nice k-hole could be just what you need to take your mind of the shards of bone protruding from your upper leg.

the main reason its used is that it seperates mind from body and does not depress respatory system which would be bad if there was already a bleed happening.......

when i hear about k all i think about is banana phones and being taken to strange places ;)

now we're going to see medical grade K being sold by delinquent ambo crews...

woooohhhoooooo

Hahaha call 000 and get it delivered to your house for free ;)

Seriously though, don't call 000 it's a valuable resource not to be abused :)

HaaaaHaaHaaahahahahahaha fucking Hahahaha

im laughing so hard at this. shit I might have to go join the st john ambulance and get trained up then take off with their ketamine) Removed availibility discussion

I never knew it was a painkiller though; Having never tried ketamine I will still say I'd prefer some h/morphine/alfentynal/heroin than ketamine if my legs were being set back in. Fuck.

Edit- lil angel15

Last edited by a moderator:
I can just see an ambo crew thinkin they got some time for a break, shooting it up, then gettin called to an emergency..... ever tried driving on K? i havent, would be.... interesting though.

If I was in need of analgesia, I would demand IV fentanyl and raise hell until someone gave it to me.

Still, good to see a new use for K. It seems like a pretty versatile drug with many uses--i.e. opiate addiction, alcoholism, treatment resistant depression etc.

Yep it's true, my brother is a paramedic and they have ketamine in their kits. The article was also spot on in saying when its used, and as my bro has told me 'it's for those people in severe car accidents where the car is halfway up the pole and their ankle is behind their left ear'. So yeah, you would have to be pretty messed up for them to use it.

PS: they also have fentanyl but don't know exactly in what context (ie: severity of injury) they would use it for. I once had fentanyl as an anaesthetic for an operation.

Flinch said:
I can just see an ambo crew thinkin they got some time for a break, shooting it up, then gettin called to an emergency..... ever tried driving on K? i havent, would be.... interesting though.

They have very rigid tracking of all these chemicals and each vial is accounted for after each call from my understanding.

Ketamine is a date rape drug? It doesn't reliably incapacitate you, just makes you very strange.

^ It's also very dangerous for anyone suffering high blood pressure, hypertension etc.

KingConvenience said:
They have very rigid tracking of all these chemicals and each vial is accounted for after each call from my understanding.

Yes but should the ambulance have an unfortunate accident and all the meds go missing 8o

Can you really smoke K? I've never heard of that before.