• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: News.com.au - 27/04/08 'Todd McKenney found unconscious after drug overdose'

hoptis

Bluelight Crew
Todd McKenney found unconscious after drug overdose
By Marnie O'Neill, Ros Reines and Jonathon Moran April 26, 2008 10:49pm

TELEVISION and radio personality Todd McKenney was found unconscious in a park in Sydney's Rushcutters Bay park on Friday afternoon after a drug overdose and had to be revived by ambulance officers.

The Dancing With The Stars judge was found by members of the public at 3.30pm and an ambulance was called. He was later charged with possessing the drug GHB, known as the "date rape" drug.

McKenney, who lives at Bondi, did not work on his FM radio show that day as it was Anzac Day and the 106.5FM program that he presents with Sonia Kruger was pre-recorded. The night before he had attended a party at Macleay St, Potts Point.

The celebrity told The Sunday Telegraph he believes his drink was spiked and the drug was planted on him.

"I had a vodka and tonic and I started to feel progressively sick. I have no idea where I ended up. My drink was obviously spiked," he said.

McKenney said it was probably "the tall poppy syndrome".

"They obviously wanted to put the boot into me," he said.

"I don't know what I have done to deserve this treatment. I will rigorously defend any charges."

McKenney, who is openly gay but last year fathered a child with a female friend, is known for his caustic remarks on the popular TV dancing show.

Kruger, who was attending Randwick's Doncaster Day races when she heard the news, had no idea what had happened to her friend and colleague.

"I haven't spoken to Todd all weekend," Kruger said.

"I just cannot believe it but I don't want to make any further comment until I find out exactly what happened. It seems very unlikely to me."

Hollywood actor Hugh Jackman was also told the news at the races.

He has worked with McKenney a number of times over the years, taking over from the musical theatre veteran in The Boy From Oz.

"Oh my God, I had no idea. My heart goes out to him. That is absolutely terrible, terrible news. I just hope that he is OK," he said.

McKenney spent yesterday resting at home.

His lawyer Michael Bowe said: "I'm concerned about him, if it's true, it's very disappointing".

McKenney said there were many people at the party that he did not know and he believes it was "all a set-up".

"I would hate to lose my job over this, because it is so unfair."

On April 7, he was banned from driving for three months and fined $375 after pleading guilty to drink driving.

On that occasion McKenney was pulled over on George St, in the heart of Sydney, just before 11pm after police noticed he was driving with his headlights turned off. He was breath-tested and blew a reading of 0.05.

Last June the star became a proud parent, after agreeing to IVF with friend of 22 years Anne Wood. He has recently told friends of his joy at becoming a dad and his wish to have more babies.

McKenney is due to front Downing Centre Local Court on May 16.

News.com.au

Last edited:
Todd McKenney found unconscious after drug overdose
By staff writers April 27, 2008 02:46pm

RADIO and TV personality Todd McKenney, who faces charges after an apparent overdose, will be on air tomorrow despite finding himself in an "out of character" predicament, Australian Radio Network (ARN) said today.

The Dancing With The Stars judge was found unconscious in a park in the Sydney suburb of Rushcutters Bay from a drug overdose he says was from a spiked drink.

Members of the public found McKenney about 3.30pm (AEST) on Friday and he was revived by ambulance officers.

He was later charged with possessing the drug GHB.

ARN general manager Anthony Fitzgerald today expressed his concern for McKenney, saying the situation was out of character.

“Todd is a terrific person and the predicament he is currently facing is totally out of character for him,” Mr Fitzgerald said.

“Todd has the network's full support at this difficult time and we will not make any judgment until all the facts have been presented.”

Mr Fitzgerald declined to comment further, but confirmed McKenney would be on air tomorrow in his regular spot with Sonia Kruger.

McKenney, who lives at Bondi in Sydney's east, did not work on his FM radio show on Friday as it was Anzac Day and the 106.5FM program he presents with Kruger was pre-recorded.

The night before he had attended a party in Macleay Street, Potts Point.

McKenney said he believed his drink had been spiked and the drug planted on him.

“I had a vodka and tonic and I started to feel progressively sick. I have no idea where I ended up. My drink was obviously spiked,” he said.

“I don't know what I have done to deserve this treatment. I will rigorously defend any charges.”

With AAP

News.com.au

On one level I can understand the reluctance of some stars to admit publicly to drug use, but to spin such obvious crap to cover up such a massive personal blunder is pathetic, and insulting to the intelligence of anyone who has the slightest idea about drugs.

Hahaha, oh man, as soon as I heard this I thought BULLSHIT!

Having your drink spiked.....possibly plausible, passing out in a park on juice with the drugs on you = FAIL. Can't be too harsh on the guy, same's things happened to me minus the unconscious part (was too much to be out in public on but I made it home on my own in one piece), but creating such a bullshit story isn't going to fool anyone.

Last edited:
McKenney back on air after drug arrest
April 28, 2008 05:15am

Dancing with the Stars judge Todd McKenney was this morning back behind the microphone co-hosting his breakfast radio show in Sydney, despite his Anzac Day arrest for possessing the drug GHB.

McKenney, who co-hosts the Mix 106.5FM breakfast show with fellow Dancing star Sonia Kruger, thanked listeners for their support shortly after the program started at 5.30am (AEST).

"I've had incredible support from listeners over the weekend," McKenney said.

"I've finally made the front page of the papers - unfortunately under these circumstances - but I've had incredible support from the listeners and at this point I want to say thanks for that."

In an interview last night, McKenny denied he took the party drug GHB and would battle to clear his name in court - to save his million-dollar television and radio career.

He claims his drink was spiked and the drugs planted on him at a party last Thursday night.

"After one drink I felt very sick and then my face got hot and I had, like my ears got very, very hot and I just knew instantly that something wasn't right," Mr McKenney told Channel 7 last night.

"So as I kept walking I could just feel myself just having the most insane kind of collapses of mind and then I was panicking because it was a feeling I've just never felt before."

It is alleged Mr McKenney was seen headbutting a fence and then lost consciousness. He was found 12 hours after leaving the party and police allege McKenney pulled a small vial with a clear liquid in it, telling them it was GHB.

"I didn't know that that was in my pocket to start with," the 42 year old said.

"I've never used it and I don't use it. I'm completely against it."

McKenney said he would "strongly, strongly, strongly fight this charge right till the end".

"I'm savvy, I know what goes on in town, I'm not dumb and whoever, I can only assume whoever planted the G in my pocket also spiked my drink."

The Seven star, who is due in court on May 16, is tonight expected to offer further explanation for his arrest after recording part of an interview for the network's Today Tonight yesterday.

McKenney's Mix 106.5 boss, Anthony Fitzgerald told The Daily Telegraph the entertainer was a "poor victim of drink-spiking", backing the presenter's return to the airwaves this morning.

"He's quite shaken by the whole situation. It is very out of character for him," Mr Fitzgerald said.

"Anyone who knows him knows drugs are not nor have they ever been part of his lifestyle."

A Channel 7 spokesman last night said "we feel for Todd at a time that is obviously difficult for him".

- With The Daily Telegraph

News.com.au

I agree with the above. My bullshit detector went off reading about this in the paper yesterday.

As if anyone would waste good drugs on a fag like this...to what? wreck his reputation? He ain't got a fucking reputation. He's a judge on like the gayest TV show in history. Over-rated person with an over-rated opinion. Granted, GHB is fairly cheap compared to other shit and if it's true then I guess he got pwnt like a bitch.

[Edit- Removed unnecessary content. lil angel15]

Last edited by a moderator:
he said he's been to party's with the stuff everywhere but he doesnt touch " Yeah bullshit" everyone who use's it call's it G and so did he. he shoould just admit it cause he looks like a clown now

I read somewhere today that he put his hand in his pocket and then pulled it out and declared it was G. If someone had planted it on him then he already knew it was there and the knows it's illegal.

But the Police and courts will see through his story. he needs to sack his PR agent for this cock and bull.

Misterwize2 said:
he needs to sack his PR agent for this cock and bull.
Good PR=Good spin (even if it isn't true). So needless to say, that's a fail on their part for sure. It would've been better to just 'fess up and 'admit' his actions were wrong and then gone to rehab (that's how the pros do it). It worked for Mel Gibson and his drunken rant about the Jews, I dare say it would work for fucking Todd McKenny. ;)

Apparently he felt 'progressively sick'? Ha, nice one. Why didn't he just seek immediate medical attention? Why did he try to escape, only to pass out in a park? What was he hiding from? I know why he was banging his head against a fence or whatever--he was mad at himself for over-doing it and knew the media would ultimately find out. The true story is so painfully obvious.

KompelZ said:
Good PR=Good spin (even if it isn't true). So needless to say, that's a fail on their part for sure. It would've been better to just 'fess up and 'admit' his actions were wrong and then gone to rehab (that's how the pros do it). It worked for Mel Gibson and his drunken rant about the Jews, I dare say it would work for fucking Todd McKenny. ;)

It worked a treat for Andrew Johns when he fessed up, no repercussions, they all said poor Andrew, what a great guy for telling the truth, blah, blah, blah

Todd McKenny - GUILTY - just admit it mate and get over it

Todd McKenney silenced as drug case details emerge
By Kara Lawrence and Holly Byrnes
April 29, 2008 03:18am
Article from: The Daily Telegraph

TV star Todd McKenney allegedly had the equivalent of 10 doses of the illegal drug GHB in his pocket when arrested by police, it has been revealed.

McKenney, who had a glass vial containing 20ml of the drug - with a street value of $400 - allegedly told police he had "just some GHB".

The police allegations emerged while witnesses at a gay dance party came forward to say they saw McKenney dancing in a nightclub until about 5am on Friday before being found unconscious in a Sydney park that afternoon.

One witness, who did not want to be named, told The Daily Telegraph the Dancing With The Stars judge was spotted at the DTPM (delerium tremens post meridien) event at 4.30am (AEST).

"He was there, and it was obvious he was enjoying himself. He stayed very late," the source said.

McKenney has told Channel 7 he attended the Thursday night event at Tank then went to a friend's house to "crash".

On Friday, he attended a friend's party at Potts Point, leaving at 2.30pm, and could not remember the next hour, he told Channel 7. He yesterday maintained his drink had been spiked.

Police were first called to Rushcutters Bay Park by reports of a man bashing his head against a fence about 3.20pm.

Police sources said they found McKenney unconscious and covered in blood from facial lacerations.

They called ambulance officers to revive him and once revived he told police his name.

When asked if he had any illicit substances, he allegedly replied: "Just some GHB."

In his pocket he had a glass vial with 20ml of a clear substance which police will have tested.

Due to his highly "distressed" state, he refused to be interviewed by police, sources said.

Drug expert Paul Dillon told The Daily Telegraph that 20ml of GHB was the equivalent of 10 doses, with a street value of $35-40 per dose.

St Vincent's Hospital emergency department director Professor Gordian Fulde said one dose of GHB usually lasted three to four hours.

If combined with other drugs or alcohol, or with repeated doses, it could last longer, he said.

McKenney, who has sacked his former lawyer and is now represented by solicitor John North, was instructed to cease making public comment on the allegations late yesterday.

McKenney, co-host of the Mix 106.5 breakfast show, yesterday thanked listeners for their support.

News.com.au

LOL, see 2008 price thread in OD for Melbourne street prices on G I posted.

I doubt he payed that much for it, I just reckon the drug expert is a quack who needs to stfu before he looks as dumb as Todd (too late now).

McKenney, who had a glass vial containing 20ml of the drug - with a street value of $400 - allegedly told police he had "just some GHB".

Guilty?

Network pulls $1m in ads from star's station
By Clair Weaver and Kate Kyriacou May 03, 2008 11:46pm

THE Nine Network has withdrawn more than $1 million in advertising from the radio station that employs controversial host Todd McKenney.

Angry Nine chief executive David Gyngell told Mix 106.5 on Friday Nine would no longer advertise with the station after McKenney repeatedly took the mickey out of Nine's 6pm Sydney newsreader, Mark Ferguson.

McKenney, a judge on Channel Seven's Dancing With The Stars, performed comedy skits on his breakfast radio show lampooning Ferguson's visits to western Sydney schools.

He hosts the radio show with Dancing With The Stars co-host Sonia Kruger.

Ferguson often visits schools, and Nine shows film of the visits at the end of its news bulletins.

Last weekend, as revealed in The Sunday Telegraph, McKenney was charged with drug possession after being found unconscious in Rushcutters Bay Park at 3.30pm on Anzac Day.
Related links

o Celebs: See who is doing what

Ambulance officers revived McKenney, saving his life, but police are alleged to have found the date-rape drug GHB on him. Before he collapsed, he was seen head-butting a fence.

"After the week he's had, you might have thought Todd McKenney had better things to do than criticise his Channel Seven opposition for sending its newsreader on a visit to a needy western Sydney school," Mr Gyngell said yesterday.

"We're anything but precious at Nine - far from it. We're criticised far and wide for all manner of things. Most of it is fair game, and sometimes we deserve it. But this is different.

"Here's McKenney, with a few much-publicised problems of his own, going out of his way to bag Nine repeatedly.

"What's to criticise - whether masqueraded as humour or not - about a dedicated program designed to assist kids at an unfashionable outer western suburbs primary school?"

Nine's association with the school Ferguson visited last week - Curran Public School, at Macquarie Fields - began with a news story on the school's chronic truancy problem two years ago.

It involves Nine arranging school excursions, Christmas parties and other projects.

The school's principal, Kathy Strong, backed Nine's stance against McKenney.

"Mark's presence inspires children to make the most of their educational opportunities and be attuned to the world beyond their classroom," Ms Strong said.

"The program can only be seen as positive and worthwhile for any school community."

Yesterday, McKenney's agent was forced to explain a theatrical performance in Adelaide on Thursday in which McKenney pretended to collapse on stage while rehearsing in front of thousands of schoolchildren.

The performer was in mid-song during a dress rehearsal for the Adelaide Police Tattoo when he dropped to the ground.

McKenney, reprising his role as Peter Allen and singing I Go To Rio, announced he was fatigued and needed to rest.

"I'm feeling tired," he said. "I think I might have a lie down."

The children laughed and clapped as McKenney fell to the ground, then broke into a routine of sit-ups and singing.

The star's agent, Jane Ambrose, denied McKenney - who claims he was a victim of drink-spiking -- was making light of the Rushcutters Bay incident in front of the children.

"There was no association whatsoever with what happened in the past ... he was just doing what Peter Allen does in that song," she said.

News.com.au

retard probablly drank the drink he was supposed to give to a girl he wanted to bang.

other than that HE was the victim of a date rape

Normally that sort of comment would be edited but in this instance, it's far too funny to remove.