Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: Bong ban will harm cannabis smokers, users and experts say

peaked

Bluelighter
TORY SHEPHERD, HEALTH REPORTER

April 11, 2008 12:10pm

THE Rann Government's ban on bongs will not stop drug use and could have dangerous flow-on effects on the health of pot smokers, according to users and experts.

The State Government last night passed tough new laws so anyone selling cannabis bongs or drug implements will face fines of up to $50,000 or two years in jail.

The laws cover the sale of implements such as hookahs, bongs, cocaine kits and pipes used to smoke deadly crystal methamphetamine, otherwise known as ice.

One local drug expert, pharmacology associate professor Rodney Irvine, said users will seek other ways to inhale smoke and that could be more dangerous.

"When you close one loophole another one emerges, a different pattern of use emerges," he said

"They'll make them out of anything, obviously.

"I would say that there's a possibility those alternative homemade ones will have some problems."

Dr Irvine said smoking through a bong or water pipe was probably slightly less dangerous than using joints or pipes.

"Intuitively, I would say that smoking anything through a water pipe is a better option than smoking it in a joint or a spliff," he said.

"If you're smoking tobacco through a water pipe you've got cooler smoke. If there's cooler smoke, there are less volatile substances, therefore less tar."

Meanwhile, people are flooding online forums to discuss the new laws.

Many cannabis smokers say they will simply make their own pipes from household goods.

Jesekah of Adelaide said bongs should not be banned.

"People will just make their own... and in most cases that will involve smoking through plastic bottles... which is obviously very unhealthy," she said.

"The government would already know this."

Parliament bans the bong

SA Attorney-General Michael Atkinson said the legislation - introduced by independent MLC Ann Bressington - responded to the widespread public concern that paraphernalia intended for use with illicit drugs was freely available in South Australia.

"The Rann Labor Government has banned the bong,'' he said.

"Commercial outlets retailing drug paraphernalia in South Australia will now either have to shut up shop, as Smoke Signals at No. 34 Hindley Street has done, or find another line of business.''

Until now, courts had to establish, beyond reasonable doubt, that the person in possession of the equipment intended to use it in connection with preparing or consuming an illegal drug.

"To my knowledge just a handful of cases have been brought against commercial outlets selling drug paraphernalia because of the difficulty of proving that the seller intended the equipment be used in connection with preparing or consuming an illicit drug," Mr Atkinson said.

source

Last edited:
I hope they still sell crack pipes, i needs it for dmt :( Oh well, i guess ill just have to use a lightbulb, or foil =\ I tried drilling a hole in glass to make "the machine" But it shattered =\

Sighhh. . . . .Fucking idiots, when are they going to get it through there pea brains that they can ban this and that, but it doesnt stop people using drugs.

They just keep trying to do anything they can to stop it, its been like more than 30 years illegal and still is probably the worlds biggest cash crop.

Yeah awesome work guys!

Right im off to get high ;)

Last edited:
When do these laws go into place? I still need to buy a new glassy :| Or will those still be available if you ask in the usual places, since they were always technically illegal, weren't they?

Thanks a lot mike rann and ann bresington - your over-conservative close minded fascist and outdated way of thinking has struck a massive blow against the big bad evil drug industry. Why, i bet now that bongs aren't available, noone's even going to really bother smoking marijuana. Anyway, those nasty bongs were taking up space where we could have been storing booze and smokes.

I feel particularly sorry for Smoke Signals, they were lovely people in there and did beautiful sculpting, all of the bongs in there were made in south australia and gave money to local artists.

[Edit- Removed flamming. I'm sorry you feel that way but BL is not here to spread hate mail to people. lil angel15]

Last edited by a moderator:
its pretty basic enough to make a bong from a lightbulb but with pot how many do u think will just use a can bong and thats extremely unhealthy....

Well, bongs are banned in Qld, yet they're still available, sold as salad dressing dispensers or similar.

Ann Bressington would have to be one of the most out of touch antidrug campaigners in the country. Her antidrug argument is based largely from losing her own daughter to heroin overdose. What she should be doing is campaigning for improved parent-child communication, something she has indicated she didn't have with her own daughter. Not all families are like yours Ann, many do communicate openly and have far less consequences because of it.

IMO, Ann's campaign, like those of so many others who lose a child, is largely a guise to detract from having to deal with the real issues, like those of a failed mother -daughter relationship. Instead, she blames illicit drugs and all those associated with drugs. There's nothing new in this, it happens all the time. Just look at how many people need to focus blame on someone/ something else in order to deal with grief.

However, these people should not have influence over the experts in regards to affecting government policies. Keeping bongs out of shop windows only serves to hide the issue from the public eye. Meanwhile, kids will be improvising with plastic bottles, hoses and foil made cones, increasing the levels of inhaled toxic products. But hang on for the std rhetorical... "we told you drugs are bad for you, and to prove the point, we're out to make them as bad for you as we can"

Salad dressing dispenser? It'd leak out of the shottie tho!

Lol, i can see it now. In 5 years time, the average persons lawn hose will be a couple meters shorter.

im not sure if this will be any difference to people say between the ages of 13-19, from my understanding this age group already uses the hazardous "MR ORCHY" bottles with lawn hose.......

and that was my experiece in school............. but then again i was a bit of a bogan ;)

Pyrex Tube 1 foot long - Check
Orange Juice Glass 250ml - Check
Stem and Cone - Check
Clamp to attach pyrex to bottle - Check

Congratulations government, you've done nothing.

^ haha

Can someone tell me whether cone pieces are banned or not? That's all that would bother me.

Meh I Just bought a few spare cone pieces in nimbin

Gatorade bottle + Hose + Cone piece = BONG

Has anyone foudn the gatorade bong to be better than most store bought ones?

i was on the understanding these laws were in place here back in jan.. im in QLD. ima gonna try n find a glass cutter.... yer mofo's cant ban glasscutters n grommits can yaz? get your younger friends to make u a conepiece in shopclass, as the article said new patterns will emerge... fuck em!

i went into a shop and noticed they were selling bongs and asked how? and they said they werent bongs they were "Water Storage Devices" ... they had plugged the hole up and renamed them... it was pretty funny.

[Edit- Removed source. lil angel15]

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, they done this years ago in New Zealand, and all they done was unscrew the pieces of pipes and thread them on some nylon and sell them as "bracelets".

LOL!! Put that in your pipe and smoke it!

'What bongs?' <points to a sign that reads 'Water Pourers'>

I lolled pretty hard.