Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

The school crotch investigation

phr

Ex-Bluelighter
The school crotch investigation
Jacob Sullum
The Washington Times

There are two kinds of people in the world: the kind who think it's perfectly reasonable to strip search a 13-year-old girl suspected of bringing ibuprofen to school, and the kind who think those people should be kept as far away from children as possible.

The first group includes officials at Safford Middle School in Safford, Ariz., who in 2003 forced eighth-grader Savana Redding to prove she was not concealing Advil in her crotch or cleavage.

It also includes two judges on the U.S. 9th Circuit Court of Appeals, who last fall ruled the strip search did not violate Savana's Fourth Amendment rights. The full court, which recently heard oral arguments in the case, now has an opportunity to overturn that decision and vote against a legal environment in which schoolchildren are conditioned to believe government agents have the authority to subject people to invasive, humiliating searches on the slightest pretext.

Safford Middle School has a "zero tolerance" policy that prohibits possession of all drugs, including not just alcohol and illegal intoxicants but prescription medications and over-the-counter remedies, "except those for which permission to use in school has been granted."

In October 2003, acting on a tip, Vice Principal Kerry Wilson found a few 400-milligram ibuprofen pills (each equivalent to two over-the-counter tablets) and one nonprescription naproxen tablet in the pockets of a student, who claimed Savana was her source.

Savana, an honors student with no history of disciplinary trouble or drug problems, said she didn't know anything about the pills and agreed to a search of her backpack, which turned up nothing incriminating. Mr. Wilson nevertheless instructed a female secretary to strip search Savana under the school nurse's supervision, without even bothering to contact the girl's mother.

The secretary had Savana take off all her clothing except her underwear. Then she told her to "pull her bra out and to the side and shake it, exposing her breasts," and "pull her underwear out at the crotch and shake it, exposing her pelvic area." Sometimes it's hard to tell the difference between drug warriors and child molesters.

"I was embarrassed and scared," Savana said in an affidavit, "but felt I would be in more trouble if I did not do what they asked. I held my head down so they could not see I was about to cry." She called it "the most humiliating experience I have ever had." Later, she recalled, the principal, Robert Beeman, said, "he did not think the strip search was a big deal because they did not find anything."

The U.S. Supreme Court has held that a public school official's search of a student is constitutional if it is "justified at its inception" and "reasonably related in scope to the circumstances which justified the interference in the first place." This search was neither.

When Mr. Wilson ordered the search, the only evidence Savana had violated school policy was the uncorroborated accusation from a girl named Marissa, who was in trouble herself and eager to shift the blame. Even Marissa (who had pills in her pockets, not her underwear) did not claim Savana currently possessed any pills, let alone that she had hidden them under her clothes.

Savana, who was closely supervised after Wilson approached her, did not have an opportunity to stash contraband. As the American Civil Liberties Union puts it, "There was no reason to suspect that a 13-year-old honor-roll student with a clean disciplinary record had adopted drug-smuggling practices associated with international narcotrafficking, or to suppose that other middle-school students would willingly consume ibuprofen that was stored in another student's crotch."

The invasiveness of the search also has to be weighed against the evil it was aimed at preventing. "Remember," the school district's lawyer recently told ABC News by way of justification, "this was prescription-strength ibuprofen." It's a good thing the school took swift action, before anyone got unauthorized relief from menstrual cramps.

Jacob Sullum is a nationally syndicated columnist.

Link!

^yea thats a good way to out it. now you cant have OTC medicine in school? sounds like paranoia is really hitting the school system hard these days....no otc meds, teachers want to start carrying guns, strip searches and locker searches, mandatory drug testing....crazy.

Not being allowed OTC medicines I can understand. It's stupid, but understandable.
The strip search goes against her basic rights as a person. I would have walked out and if physically restrained would have become violent. Even at 13. I would certainly do so now if anybody other than a police officer wanted to search me.

I wonder if her parents are gonna do anything?

^yea same here. usually im against cases where ppl feel they were somehow wronged and deserve a huge cash settlement (read: the case in baltimore of the 7 yr old black kid that was hand cuffed for an hour and his parents tried to sue the cops for 40 million. yes 40 million LOL--link) http://www.examiner.com/a-619947~Busted__7_year_old_cuffed__fingerprinted.html

but in this instance, that poor girl was violated...and for what? something legal you can buy at most every store? the worst part was how the girl said the principal didnt think it was a big deal since they didnt find anything.

Everyone involved in this search should be immediatly terminated and charged with sexual assault on a minor:!

Every day it gets a little bit worse. Oh my god- prescription strength ibuprofen? No fucking way!! What an evil trafficking bitch. She could have burned holes in peoples stomachs.

Oh wait, that happens with all of the OTC versions too. I think have two versions of the same drug is fucking stupid. I had a doc write me a script for ibuprofen once. I asked him if he really thought I was stupid enough that taking two tablets of the OTC stuff wasn't out of my abilities. Told him to write me a script for something I couldn't buy OTC. He did, but it was only 10x 7.5hydros.

still- better than 30 x 400mg ibuprofens.

Over here things get prescribed because they're often cheaper then than to buy OTC.

I thought that they were supposed to keep Catholicism out of public schools...

^^^^ Oh have no fear. It will be censored by a mod in due time... :D

phrozen said:
"Remember," the school district's lawyer recently told ABC News by way of justification, "this was prescription-strength ibuprofen."

that part had me laughing my ass off. I think prescription ibuprofen is a joke in the first place but come on.... You have to be retarded to think ibuprofen has any recreational value. Why are people so completely uninformed? Or maybe the school is just tryin to cover their asses. Either way I agree that the school should (and probably will) end up paying this girl for putting her through this.

I know first hand how humiliating strip searches are. to add to the humiliation it's a strip search for something any child could buy at any grocery store. Whats next...cavity searches for APAP?

400mg ibu is OTC here, as in, can only be bought at an actual pharmacy.
It's only the same as 2 of the regular kind, though, which can be bought anywhere.

Yeah thats bullshit.. but the article made it sound like she wasn't getting anything already..

"It also includes two judges on the U.S. 9th Circuit Court of Appeals, who last fall ruled the strip search did not violate Savana's Fourth Amendment rights. The full court, which recently heard oral arguments in the case, now has an opportunity to overturn that decision and vote against a legal environment in which schoolchildren are conditioned to believe government agents have the authority to subject people to invasive, humiliating searches on the slightest pretext."

^^^^ And I bets dere be lots of surpises under dems judges' robes, too...

phrozen said:
In October 2003, acting on a tip, Vice Principal Kerry Wilson found a few 400-milligram ibuprofen pills (each equivalent to two over-the-counter tablets) and one nonprescription naproxen tablet in the pockets of a student, who claimed Savana was her source.

random kid - "Dude I heard Savanna had some bomb ass ibuprofen going round y0!"

random kids friend - "Shits straight fire"

and finally the narc "Savannas my connect ok!! I dont want any prison time!, and by the way you might want to check her puss for the pills, thats were I heard she hides em."

OMG ibuprofen. Whats next aspirin? Thats a very slippery slope indeed one day your taking ibuprofen the next day you could be on the hard stuff like celebrex. Lol what a joke.

These people are plain out perverts. They should be arrested and charged with sexual assault or exploiting a minor. something like that. Lay whatever charges you can on the sick fucks. I hope her parents sue the living fuck out of them so bad that the school district won't even be able to afford a pencil.

If i was her dad i would be going psycho now and i would most likely be up on charges for beating the living shit out of that principal