Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: Daily Telegraph 10/4/08 - Italian mafia flood Australia with ecstasy

SeveredPsyche

Bluelighter
Italian mafia flood Australia with ecstasy
Article from: The Daily Telegraph

April 10, 2008 07:43am

THE Italian Mafia has joined forces with Dutch and Chinese criminals to flood Australia with ecstasy in a re-emergence of a crime network not seen here since the 1980s.

Dutch authorities have warned Australian counterparts that shipping containers with tonnes of concealed ecstasy pills are being sent to Australian ports, with the nation now topping the world's market-demand for the drug.

The Netherlands-based elite Synthetic Drugs Unit, which co-ordinates the international fight against illicit substances, said criminals had formed multinational alliances to service the high-demand, high-returns being offered in Australia.

The market is so big, the Dutch have closed their anti-drugs bureau in Miami in the US and instead, just three weeks ago, permanently stationed a top police officer in Canberra to liaise directly with the Australian Federal Police.

Millions of tablets

Cees van Spierenburg, the Dutch national public prosecutor who runs the multi-agency counter synthetic drug operations, told The Daily Telegraph intelligence had uncovered plans for mass production and shipment of drugs to southern shores.

"We are talking about shipments of millions of tablets," Mr van Spierenburg said yesterday.

"When you talk about shipments of millions of tablets, those are the world's major shipments and those shipments are going to Australia.

"It's a question of supply and demand. Organised crime groups are trying to earn as much money the easy way as possible in the shortest amount of time, so if you are able to sell a tablet for $20 or more and it costs you a quarter of a Euro dollar to make, you can make a lot of money."

The drugs are also "made to order" and even have logos stamped on them with local images as demanded by Australian underworld criminal network chiefs.

The national prosecutor, who co-ordinates the running of police operations against synthetic drugs, said his officers had found the Chinese were sending precursor drugs such as PMK to Holland to manufacture into illegal drugs.

Italian mafia

These were then driven to ports throughout Europe, particularly Italy, for exporting to Australia.

"The Italian Mafia is now being the intermediary in the exportation from Europe to Australia," he said, adding the criminal group used its extensive network of contacts to ensure the movements remained undetected.

The direct involvement of the Italians is significant because they have not been a strong feature of the Australian crime scene for more than two decades, since the days of Griffith-based Robert Trimbole and the Woodward royal commission.

A scattergun approach was also suspected, where dozens of containers are sent to various Australian ports, particularly along the east coast, in the anticipation that some will be found but others will not.

"It's like what we have here with cocaine swallowers, you can have 30 swallowers in one plane but we only have the capacity to find two, three or four of them so you take the risk that some get caught but others get through," Mr van Spierenburg said.

The Synthetic Drugs Unit had also found evidence that Chinese criminals were exporting PMK chemicals illegally to the Netherlands but also directly to countries like Australia and Canada for local mass production of ecstasy.

The chemicals were being moved about the world in sea containers, disguised as shipments of goods like soy sauce.

Link...

What a disgrace! Hard working Aussie battling drug barons being pushed out of business by foreign competitors! I for one would like to see our government offer some sort of incentive scheme to keep the manufacturing of these popular drugs on Aussie shores and keep the money in hands of the hard working underworld of our big cities! Out sourcing has GONE TOO FAR! =D

Tarrifs should be placed on imported pills :D

On a serious note, looks like good times ahead. Hopefully all of Australia will benefit from this and not just the east coast. Can we expect prices to fall and quality to go up? Too good..

This was front page on the advertiser today. I don't get it, 'drugs are imported by foreign criminal groups.' No shit sherlock. Slow day for the news I guess.

if this is true it is good news for e users in australia. maybe now the rest of aus will be able to buy pills now for what they cost in sydney (west syd in particular) which i have noticed is about 1/2 to 1/3 cheaper than others pay nation wide

Hey personally, I feel bad for the kiwi's. I'm told they pay up to double what we pay here in Aus, on average. Ouch.

Immortal Teknique said:
Where the fuck is the good pills then? I want some good MDMA, not crap.

Exactly reading all this crap about floods of ecstasy but my friends who do it still certainly have some mixed reports.

I think if the mafia is actually pressing the pills, they'd do a pretty good job of it. Or maybie im just thinking to much of the old mafia. -shrugs- If there just sending mdma powder, expect the same crappy pills.

Crankinit said:
Hey personally, I feel bad for the kiwi's. I'm told they pay up to double what we pay here in Aus, on average. Ouch.

Nope maybe from gangs+associates/prospectors, but its not much different now with the demise of BZP based pills, expect demand to multiply I guess hehe.. seems like a bit of media hype well with that underbelly series and the whole melbourne thing and then with underbelly currently on NZ tv atm, wouldnt be surprised if in a few months time the NZ media picks up on the paranoia bandwagon and need a new story like the methamphetamine 'P' craze of 2000 - 2004 media bashing.... hmm all aside must admit there are just so many mdma pills in OZ!?!! how can one catchup if only the *best+++ftwbbq batches are remembered if you know what I mean...

Last edited:
I've been jumping from source to source the last few years trying to find decent pills - never occurred to me to go to the Mafia. Hopefully we'll get some good, clean pills again :)

^ yeah like the mafia's going to be big on quality control. lol

yossarian_is_sane! said:
You are a bad man hoptis. Here I was enjoying a stress free friday afternoon and you've gone and reminded me how fucking stupid some Aussie's really are. Mad props to the GP who commented in support of the people advocating legalisation.

The reason I post those links to comments is hopefully to remind everyone, outside of the BL cocoon, just what the attitudes are like in the rest of society.

Arguing for decriminalisation or just more open-minded attitudes towards drugs on BL is preaching to the (mostly) converted... it's out there that your comments have a much better chance of affecting those who are undecided on the drugs debate, with great posts like this one you mentioned.

I have been using pills for almost 20 years now, in a recreational manner. I am also a practicing GP with my own medical practice. Many of my colleagues also use these substances, and I know many other professional people (lawyers, politicians, pilots etc) who all use these substances without a problem. I have been very happily married for 15 years, and have healthy relationships with my friends. If you still believe the government propaganda about these kinds of drugs, I feel really sorry for you - you are a fool, but at least you are becoming the minority in society.

Posted by: Justin K of Perth 4:59pm today
Comment 89 of 89

miasma said:
^ yeah like the mafia's going to be big on quality control. lol

Better than the bikies maybe? :| I was more referring to them coming from the Netherlands... not a guarantee of good pills but still possible.

Thank god for them:) Keep the pills coming:) Im from europe and netherland pills kick ass:)