• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

How do I differentiate between PMA and MDA using the EZ-Test Complete?

M

Molly_Test

If you had some molly (supposedly) that you want test for impurities how can you tell whether the reaction to reddish/purple using the robadope reagent indicates MDA rather than PMA. I'm guessing the answer is that you can't tell unless you consume it. I have no issue with consuming with MDA but I do have an issue with PMA so is there any way to tell?

My idea so far would be to consume ~30mg and if it's only threshold effects it would be MDMA/MDEA/MDA but if it's quite strong at that level it would likely be PMA. Also is it unheard of for around ~30mg of PMA to be paticuarly dangerous in a relatively healthy individual? For example is it known to produce an idiosyncratic dosage response? The dosage levels I have read seem a little conflicting, for instance:

PIHKAL says "DOSAGE: 50 - 80 mg."

Erowid says "At dosages from 60-80 mg (lower than those used regularly for Ecstasy), it can cause a sudden, large, and potentially fatal rise in blood temperature, body temperature and blood pressure."

I am an experienced ecstasy user but haven't tried molly yet so is it likely that I could tell the difference between MDMA/MDA and PMA at such a low dose without having tried PMA previously and just basing my assumption on the Erowid effects list for this substance?

GC/MS is not an option in this area AFAIK. Yes, I also realise that it's quite unlikely the manufacturer/dealer would be putting PMA in a gelcap in a dosage suitable for MDMA that would likely prove lethal if it were PMA. Better safe than sorry I like to say. Harm Reduction FTW!

I believe that there is a way to distinguish the difference... at least I remember that there was meant to be, but I haven't checked/used my testers in years as I don't take pills any more...

I know that there are a lot of people who are quite knowledgeable about EZ testers in the Aus Drug Discussion forum, so I'll shift it over to there. If you would like this moved somewhere more specific/different please make another post in the anonymous posting forum and I'll get it shifted somewhere else, but I'd give it a go over is AusDD :)

CB :)

First test it with robadope. If there is a change to red then that indicates a primary amine (such as MDA or PMA, among other things). If it doesn't change to red then already you can rule out MDA/PMA.

Assuming its positive, next test with simons. If this turns dark blue then it indicates a secondary amine (such as MDMA or meth) meaning that there is a mixture of two substances in your cap. Assuming either just MDA or PMA, there should be no reaction here.

Next test with Marquis/Mandelin/Mecke. If you have MDA, these tests will show the usual mdxx reactions (purple to black, or blue to black for mecke). If you have PMA then there'll either be no reaction or a different reaction compared to MDxx.

The above will only really be true if it contains either PMA or MDA. If it contained a mixture of both, or a mix of PMA and MDxx then the results would make it impossible to determine wether it does contain PMA or not.

Last edited:
apparently i dont know how true it is but its been said quite a few times that with mandelin a quick initial flash of red then colour change to purple means MDA

I had pure cooked PMA and it didn't turn Red Green Brown on mandelin like it is supposed to.
Can someone point me to a reference other than a pamphlet with this information.

It does turn slightly pink on Robadope though. Waiting on GCMS results as the caps went around Australia, QLD area. Small white cvaps. 45-55mg powder in each one. Not the most bitter taste, but snorting sure did hurt.