• ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

My favorite movie review site.

ego_loss

Bluelighter
When it comes to current DVD releases, bad horror flicks and anything else I might find at the local Hollywood Video, I have one site that I really trust. That is the brilliant movie cynics. These guys are amazing. The main critic at the site, The Vocabulariast, really needs to get his own syndicated column. His reviews are extremely well done, both from a movie critics viewpoint and a writers viewpoint. They have a special love for bad movies. They take great joy in ripping these films to shreds with their razor sharp wit.

One of the best things about their reviews is their rating system. Each movie starts out with a score of 10, and they systematically remove points for anything they feel the film lacks. This is actually a very good system, and I agree with their scores more often than not. Although there are a few times that I have felt they were either too generous or too harsh. Either way, it was still fun to read their reviews.

Another great thing about their reviews is that a great number of them come with custom made drinking games.

Perhaps the most impressive part of the site is the number of reviews they have available. Over 600 well written critiques in under a year of being online, and they add more every day. These guys are pros.

Please, everyone go spend a few minutes browsing their archives, you won't regret it.

And while you are here, where do you get your movie news from?

I'm partial to www.reelviews.net, because I often agree with the guy (James Berardinelli) on most things, moreso than most other movie critics. I've posted his reviews here though, and no one seems to be too keen on him. Ah well, to each their own. I try my best nowadays to stay away from review sites until I see the film first, but I slip up a lot on that.

while movie cynics may be a bit interesting, their top 20 list sucks ass, IMO

i just refer to good ol IMDB. i like to be able to peruse the many differing views of each film. you can find some real gems in there. i loooove to read em too, i am guilty of keeping my laptop open and reading through as i watch something, especially if it gets a bit slow.

i am soo ADD

I used to like Rotten Tomatoes, but recently they took the amazing step of making their site *more* difficult to navigate, so my visitation has dropped off sharply...

I don't read reviews either. I like to make up my own mind before being brainwashed with other peoples ideas. But I will check the ratings on imdb if I don't know enough about a film as it's generally pretty accurate. I've also given up buying movie mags too. They're just so expensive and what's the point?. They only end up in the bin. If I wanna know what's coming out, I have the internet.

i dont make a point of reading reviews, i'd rather just suffer through a movie and then have my own opinion about it... but if i am not alone or my choices are movies i have barley heard of i will take a quick glance at something like rotten tomatoes just as a heads up if i will be completely wasting my time or not.

Rotten Tomatoes has to be the worst movie site I've ever visited. 80% of their movie news is shit stolen from AICN a day later and the other 20% is rumors that I seriously think they just make up for filler. Also,any time they have a WATCH THE TRAILER/FIRST FEW MINUTES OF THIS MOVIE,it never indicates where the fuck you're supposed to click. They always have the name of the movie,the director,the actors,ect as clickable links,so you spend five minutes trying to find the right one. And the people that post on there are mostly teenage boys who chime in with such gems as,"Yeah,I'd still fuck that Juno chick. More cushion for the pushin! Plus,you don't have to worry about knocking her up."

i basically only use it to scan over just how rotten or fresh a movie was deemed.
the user reviews are usually trite and quite annoying.