• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Overdosing on Alprazolam

slackboxed

Bluelighter
Recently, SWIM ate about 200mgs of (pure powdered) alprazolam one night, drank with it, and then four days later she ate about 20 gel tab hits of lsd and while she was tripping she ate around 500mgs of alprazolam all at once. She is prescribed benzos so she had a little bit of a tolerance, but holy shit I have never seen anyone so fucked up on benzos before in my entire life! She actually drank beer an hour into it. I read up on erowid that it takes about ~330mgs-2000mgs to kill lab rats with alprazolam.

How much alprazolam do you think it would take to kill a 120lb girl with a slight benzo tolerance (she is prescribed 5mg valiums 4x a day)? We're talking some pure powder here, supposidely 98-99% pure unadulterated but who the hell knows now a days ya know?

Oh the dumbass girl is alright. No serious injuries occured somehow.

wow 500mg and slight tolerance just dont really go together. I say either way you should tell her shes gonna die. if she fucks up and mixes alcohal or opiates, in to big a dose she is done for.

why is this person eating so much alrazolam powder? that's the question that should be addressed.

Well, just Alprazolam, no alcohol or opiates (especially no opiates), and she'll be fine, but that's a horrible road to start going down.

wow if your having to take that much you need to lay off. esp if u said she has lil tolerance. As far as i kno and correct me if im wrong it takes alot to overdose and dieing on alprazolam but once u have a high tolerance for it and trying to quit suddenly can cause you to have many problems and possible die. IE start having sezuires and other things.

Ham-milton said:
Well, just Alprazolam, no alcohol or opiates (especially no opiates), and she'll be fine, but that's a horrible road to start going down.

i can't believe people are saying she'll be fine. 500 mgs of alprazolam to someone with almost no benzo tolerance? i know it's ridiculously hard to overdose on benzos alone but the LD50s have never been tested on humans, not to mention what kind of affects this type of overdose could have on the nervous system.

It's not like we can taper her off, she just ate all of the fucking alprazolam. If she develops a super-tolerance from this, she's fucked because she actually does have panic disorders. Is there a step up on the benzo chain or any way to taper her off this shit with out having any more alprazolam? She is still prescribed valium.

^Valium is the best for tapering....long half life. If neccesary she should ask to get her dose bumped up for a week or two and then back down to 20mg a day.

i don't think she would need to taper from only 2 doses no matter how high they were . there will be so much alprazolam in her system that despite it's short half life, it will be as if she is doing a very fast taper and the valium should prevent any seizures. all she has to worry about is the short term affects of ingesting 1,000 times the initial dose of alprazolam at once. if she feels fine now, she should be fine. but taking these ridiculous amounts of benzos when you have little tolerance is not safe and just because she is fine doesn't mean other people can assume its safe to take that much.

that sounds absolutely horrible...talk about black out city. im surprised nothign more serious happened to her all things considered. i guess when you take 20 gel tabs your sense of reasoning goes out the window.

Your (or her/SWIYrs) best bet would be clonazepam for the quick taper after this binge (as opposed to long term addiction at does that high) back to a therapeutic dosage of her valium if preferable.

Clonazepam:

a)has a high therapeutic index, being a potent benzo anticonvulsant (something she needs more than anything) and anxiolytic (root of problem)

b)reasonable intermediate half-life (so she wouldnt actually be accumulating the drug and cheating tapering, actually fueling high-tolerance addiction considering it was a short alprazolam (xanax) binge, while easing intensity of the WDs)

burn out said:
i can't believe people are saying she'll be fine. 500 mgs of alprazolam to someone with almost no benzo tolerance? i know it's ridiculously hard to overdose on benzos alone but the LD50s have never been tested on humans, not to mention what kind of affects this type of overdose could have on the nervous system.

500mg barely even begins to approach the danger zone. We're talking at least 1g/kg. I cannot find an overdose resulting in death from alprazolam without another depressant added to the mix.

Alprazolam, and benzos in general, are fairly selective BZR agonists. Because they work in a way that's very different than Barbs and other "old" depressants.

How long has she been using it? If it's been a fairly short period of time, withdrawal won't be a big concern. You can take 500mg two days in a row and be fine afterwards, though you'll certainly feel like shit, it's not really a big worry.

When I last looked into it, you cannot use Diazepam to taper from Alprazolam. I assume it's because of differences in binding profiles and not the ultra-short halflife issue. By using Diazepam in conjunction with a alprazolam taper, you could get off the xanax a lot easier and then afterwards taper off of diazepam which should be comparatively easier.

However, I can't reccomend ANYONE to taper from benzos or any other classical depressant (Barbs, Benzos, Methyprylon, Glutethimide). It's simply too dangerous and can easily fuck you up for the rest of your life.

If you have anything but a very weak dependence (and you're getting them from a legit source), you should seriously consider staying on them for the rest of your life. Even if you became dependent through extra-medical sources, you really ought to see a doctor. They can help you taper off safely, and if it does prove to be too painful (I can't imagine the 24/7 panic attacks and the twitching and the pain, etc), they can work out a careful regiment to keep you on the drug for the rest of your life. They won't do so lightly, but if you really can't taper, most doctors realize the neccessity of keeping benzo-dependent people on them forever.

poor girl...

probably payed a shiessload of money for that giant bag of 'pure unadulterated' powdered sugar.....

you have to be careful when you buy. it's not even necessary to buy, but i won't get into that here, since the forum restrictions forbid me from engaging in such activity.

i will preach for a minute, may i?

I am an EXTREMELY like in bold and caps locks and italics and underlined giant red gothic letters dripping with blood form of EXTREMELY experienced benzo user. I say this not to boast or establish my status here for people whom I don't even know anyway..what would it give me?

Im just saying....even with my tolerance, specialty being xanax, if i took 200mg one day and then got smashed and then the hypothetical next day, which would happen in the magical supposition that I made it through the night, intubated in the ICU at Lenox Hill (as I have so many nights before, thank you doctors of lenox hill. **blows air kisses and dollar bills**), and then took 500 forking milligrams of the same xanax and then walked around sipping a beer.......

i mean is this supposed to be funny? its not. its absurd. its bad humor. waiting for godozepam... i swear to god.

i hope no one believes that this is possible. after about 25-60 mg, most EXPERIENCED users (i mean the same ones that write EXPERIENCED on their Armani Le Collezioni suits in blood-dripping red letters...the Experienced will say in a chorus :eek:h f*ck.,,,,not again. not this crap anymore......" then they run to vomit but its too late because its all been absorbed so they wait for the inevitable..10..20 minutes...complete loss of skeletomuscular coordination. No memory of own name, and marked delirium. a few minutes after this, SLEEP. sleep lasts about 48 hours in the little EXPERIENCED and that involves crapping your pants cause you sure aint gona be able to wake up in the night. and for the EXPERIENCED armanis, its a deep 12-15 hour sleep from which naught but even a banshee can waken thee.

But 200 ... and 500 the next day with beer or whatever else was in that whole little tale (someone forgot to take their thiothixene apparently, while composing this gem of a story), You would be a pretty little corpse in about one hour. No vomiting. No screaming. Nothing. Pure, simple, Roche-class first class upper west side penthouse sleek black steinway DEATH.

so stop writing all of this garbage...whats the point. you know its a lie. we know it too.

what DO YOU REALLY WANT to know? and WHY ask it here? are you that,....

nevermind. je m'exscuse.

Ham-milton,

I can't say anything of alprazolam (for the simple reason that I haven't read studies or heard of overdose cases involving alprazolam alone), but I have read some disturbing things about OD situations with only a single benzo being responsible. I will show some examples when I dig them up for you.

Nitrazepam, temazepam, and flunitrazepam have all been involved in many overdose deaths without the consumption of alcohol, narcotics, or any other drug. Cases involving other benzodiazepines which have caused death from an overdose (without the consumption of any other drugs) include triazolam and flurazepam.

MORPHINATOR speketh in ful trothe.

700mgs of alprazolam powder in 36 hours.....

my favorite part is how she took over 200mg the night before, and then woke up in the morning to take 700 and was walking around sipping a beer nonchalantly.

honestly...i understand it's mean that they restrict internet use in some psych wards, but this is a case where the patient is harming himself by delving further into delusion land here on the in ter net. sad stuff.

"um yea...ill be there in an hour, im getting ready. im so nervous though....how much xanax should i take?

how much is that?

oh mm okay so like thats what 5 handfuls about? right? uh huh. ok fine. no prob.

what?

oh i cant use water?

but i dont like whisky.

fine fine, stop screaming. ill be there.

bye.

glub glub glub
rattle
rattle

there goes a mule
with a corpse on his saddle.

- Federico Garcio Xorca

Morphinator said:
Ham-milton,

I can't say anything of alprazolam (for the simple reason that I haven't read studies or heard of overdose cases involving alprazolam alone), but I have read some disturbing things about OD situations with only a single benzo being responsible. I will show some examples when I dig them up for you.

Nitrazepam, temazepam, and flunitrazepam have all been involved in many overdose deaths without the consumption of alcohol, narcotics, or any other drug. Cases involving other benzodiazepines which have caused death from an overdose (without the consumption of any other drugs) include triazolam and flurazepam.

And what do those benzos have in common? They're all hypnotics and extremely amnesic.

The first three also have inherent toxicity that makes even normal doses potentially dangerous for some people. Temazepam is the worst, as I recall. I forget the specifics of their toxicity, and it's 3:30am here, but I'll look it up in the morning.

I don't know why, but for some reason I also seem to remember them having the lowest therapeutic ratios (ED50/LD50)

^The nitro-containing compounds form superoxide free radicals. The downside of clonazepam is also its neurotoxicity. Alprazolam at least isnt, much like diazepam.

Ham-milton said:
And what do those benzos have in common? They're all hypnotics and extremely amnesic.

The first three also have inherent toxicity that makes even normal doses potentially dangerous for some people. Temazepam is the worst, as I recall. I forget the specifics of their toxicity, and it's 3:30am here, but I'll look it up in the morning.

I don't know why, but for some reason I also seem to remember them having the lowest therapeutic ratios (ED50/LD50)

Ham-milton, I got the major British study on the toxicity of different benzos and a study from the Karolinska Institute about hypnotic abusers that I thnk you'd find interesting.

British study first:

Benzodiazepines have a relatively high therapeutic index.[46] Death after admission is rare and due to respiratory depression with aspiration of gastric contents.[47] Over 10 years in the United Kingdom, however, 1512 fatal poisonings have been attributed to benzodiazepines with or without alcohol.[48] These were compared with prescription data to establish a fatal toxicity index (deaths per million prescriptions) for each benzodiazepine. Similar indices have been derived for antidepressants[49] and barbiturates.[50] There were clear differences between benzodiazepines. Of drugs frequently prescribed, temazepam by far had the highest number of deaths per million prescriptions at 11.9 (95% confidence interval 10.9 to 12.8); above that of some tricyclic antidepressants. In contrast, oxazepam had an index of 2.3 (1.2 to 3.4), and the average index for all benzodiazepines combined was 5.7.

Although there are potential sources of error in these studies,[51] a bias that would lead to differences between compounds was not identified.[52] Clinical studies can adjust for potential confounders which studies that use coronial data are unable to take into account. If differences between the benzodiazepines are supported by data from clinical studies this also adds credence to the fatal toxicity index which first noted these findings.

The aim was therefore to determine if temazepam caused more sedation and oxazepam less sedation than other benzodiazepines.

During 1991-3, 542 patients with benzodiazepine poisoning presented to the hospital, 239 of these patients, however, had ingested either more than one benzodiazepine or co-ingested other sedating drugs. The drugs ingested by the remainder were temazepam (64), oxazepam (45), diazepam (113), clonazepam (24), flunitrazepam (21), nitrazepam (18), others (18).

Details of coma scores and odds ratios of the benzodiazepines ingested showed that temazepam was significantly more toxic than most other benzodiazepines.[53] Two out of the 45 subjects (4%) who ingested oxazepam were stuporous or comatose, 38 out of the 194 subjects (19%) who ingested other benzodiazepines (clonazepam, diazepam, flunitrazepam, nitrazepam and others) were stuporous or comatose, while 16 out of the 64 subjects (25%) who ingested temazepam were stuporous or comatose. None of the oxazepam subjects were comatose, 16 out of the 194 subjects (8%) who ingested other benzodiazepines were fully comatose, and 9 out of 64 subjects (14%) who ingested temazepam were fully comatose.

The results show that there are differences between temazepam, oxazepam, and other benzodiazepines in the degree of sedation they cause in overdose, and the observed differences are not due to confounding by age, sex, dose ingested, co-ingestion of alcohol, chronic benzodiazepine use, or history of drug or alcohol abuse. This provides a plausible explanation why temazepam and oxazepam have different fatal toxicity indices from other benzodiazepines.[54]

The sedation produced by benzodiazepines in therapeutic doses and overdose has a poor correlation with measured drug concentration but is increased with rapid absorption.[55][56][57][58] Temazepam is more rapidly absorbed and oxazepam is more slowly absorbed than other benzodiazepines.[59][60][61][62][63] Further research is required to determine if the rate of absorption is different in overdose and is sufficient to explain the differences in sedation. Slowing the rate of absorption may reduce toxicity, but this would also reduce their sedative effect in therapeutic doses.[64] Drug regulatory authorities should be aware that changes in formulation of benzodiazepines may affect toxicity in overdose.

Pharmacodynamic factors such as benzodiazepine receptor affinity and potency may also be important. Because of the wide variations in half life, adjustments for dose by conversion into defined daily doses or diazepam equivalents is imperfect.[65] These are designed to compare use rather than potency. Though they correlate reasonably well with sizes of prescriptions and tablets, they may not account for potency per tablet taken in overdose.[66]

SOURCES:

Gaudreault P, Guay J, Thivierge RL, Verdy I (1991). "Benzodiazepine poisoning. Clinical and pharmacological considerations and treatment". Drug Saf 6 (4): 247–65. PMID 1888441.

Höjer J, Baehrendtz S, Gustafsson L (1989). "Benzodiazepine poisoning: experience of 702 admissions to an intensive care unit during a 14-year period". J. Intern. Med 226 (2): 117–22. PMID 2769176.

Serfaty M, Masterton G (1993). "Fatal poisonings attributed to benzodiazepines in Britain during the 1980s". Br J Psychiatry 163: 386–93. PMID 8104653.

Cassidy S, Henry J (1987). "Fatal toxicity of antidepressant drugs in overdose". Br Med J (Clin Res Ed) 295 (6605): 1021–4. PMID 3690249.

Johns MW (1977). "Self-poisoning with barbiturates in England and Wales during 1959-74". Br Med J 1 (6069): 1128–30. PMID 861497.

Dwyer PS, Jones IF (1984). "Fatal self-poisoning in the UK and the paracetamol/dextropropoxyphene combination". Hum Toxicol 3 Suppl: 145S–174S.

Serfaty M, Masterton G (1993). "Fatal poisonings attributed to benzodiazepines in Britain during the 1980s". Br J Psychiatry 163: 386–93.

Buckley NA, Dawson AH, Whyte IM, O'Connell DL (1995). "Relative toxicity of benzodiazepines in overdose". BMJ 310 (6974): 219–21.

Serfaty M, Masterton G (1993). "Fatal poisonings attributed to benzodiazepines in Britain during the 1980s". Br J Psychiatry 163: 386–93.

Gaudreault P, Guay J, Thivierge RL, Verdy I (1991). "Benzodiazepine poisoning. Clinical and pharmacological considerations and treatment". Drug Saf 6 (4): 247–65.

Busto U, Kaplan HL, Sellers EM (1980). "Benzodiazepine-associated emergencies in Toronto". Am J Psychiatry 137 (2): 224–7.

Fuccella LM, Bolcioni G, Tamassia V, Ferrario L, Tognoni G (1977). "Human pharmacokinetics and bioavailability of temazepam administered in soft gelatin capsules". Eur. J. Clin. Pharmacol 12 (5): 383–6.

Greenblatt DJ, Harmatz JS, Engelhardt N, Shader RI (1989). "Pharmacokinetic determinants of dynamic differences among three benzodiazepine hypnotics. Flurazepam, temazepam, and triazolam". Arch. Gen. Psychiatry 46 (4): 326–32.

Gaudreault P, Guay J, Thivierge RL, Verdy I (1991). "Benzodiazepine poisoning. Clinical and pharmacological considerations and treatment". Drug Saf 6 (4): 247–65.

Busto U, Kaplan HL, Sellers EM (1980). "Benzodiazepine-associated emergencies in Toronto". Am J Psychiatry 137 (2): 224–7.

Fuccella LM, Bolcioni G, Tamassia V, Ferrario L, Tognoni G (1977). "Human pharmacokinetics and bioavailability of temazepam administered in soft gelatin capsules". Eur. J. Clin. Pharmacol 12 (5): 383–6.
Greenblatt DJ, Harmatz JS, Engelhardt N, Shader RI (1989). "Pharmacokinetic determinants of dynamic differences among three benzodiazepine hypnotics. Flurazepam, temazepam, and triazolam". Arch. Gen. Psychiatry 46 (4): 326–32.

Mitler MM (1981). "Evaluation of temazepam as a hypnotic". Pharmacotherapy 1 (1): 3–13.

Alexander B, Perry PJ (1991). "Detoxification from temazepam: schedules and strategies". J Subst Abuse Treat 8 (1-2): 9–17.

Serfaty M, Masterton G (1993). "Fatal poisonings attributed to temazepam in Britain during the 1980s". Br J Psychiatry 163: 386–93.

smokester said:
^The nitro-containing compounds form superoxide free radicals. The downside of clonazepam is also its neurotoxicity. Alprazolam at least isnt, much like diazepam.

Well neither of those benzos will fry your brain some certain ones will.

[
]Withdrawal from certain hypnotic benzodiazepines are often more problematic and are often difficult to manage. Some hypnotics include nitrazepam (Mogadon®), temazepam (Restoril®), flurazepam (Dalmane®), triazolam (Halcion®), flunitrazepam (Rohypnol®), flutoprazepam (Restas®), and nimetazepam (Ermin®).

Neuropsychological function can be permanently affected by abuse of certain hypnotic benzodiazepines (temazepam, nitrazepam, flunitrazepam, flutoprazepam, and nimetazepam were found to be particularly toxic), with brain damage similar to alcoholic brain damage, as was shown in a 4– to 6-year follow-up study of hypnotic abusers by Borg and others of the Karolinska Institute. The CT scan abnormalities showed dilatation of the ventricular system. However, unlike alcoholics, hypnotic abusers showed no evidence of widened cortical sulci. The study concluded that, when cerebral disorder is diagnosed in hypnotic benzodiazepine abusers, it is often permanent.[5] An earlier study by Borg et al. found evidence of cerebral disorder in those that exclusively abused hypnotic benzodiazepines, suggesting that cerebral disorder was not the result of other substances of abuse. Anxiolytic benzodiazepines, such as diazepam, clonazepam, alprazolam, bromazepam and lorazepam were not found to have the same toxic properties of most of the hypnotics.[6]

The brain damage associated with chronic hypnotic benzodiazepine abuse and withdrawal is an effect rarely, if ever reported among anxiolytic benzodiazepines such as alprazolam (Xanax®), diazepam (Valium®), clonazepam (Rivotril®; Klonopin®) and other similar anxiolytics. There are reports in the medical literature of at least six psychotic states developing after abrupt withdrawal from temazepam including delirium, paranoia, and suicide ideation after abrupt withdrawal of only 30 mg of temazepam and in other cases, auditory and visual hallucinations and visual cognitive disorder developed after abrupt withdrawal from 10 mg of temazepam, 5 mg of nitrazepam and 0.5 mg of triazolam. Two psychotic states developing after abrupt withdrawal from nitrazepam has also been reported in medical literature. Chronic high dose abuse of flutoprazepam and nitrazepam have been linked to speech disorders such as stuttering and cluttering. Besides being linked to the development of speech or communication disorders, they have also been linked to cognition problems and balance disorders. Several studies have shown that moderate to high dose abuse of temazepam, nimetazepam, flutoprazepam, and flunitrazepam cause aphasia, dysnomia, delusional disorders, severe memory problems, motor coordination damage, and neurological problems. Depersonalisation has also been reported as a benzodiazepine withdrawal effect from doses as low as 5 mg temazepam, 7.5 mg flurazepam, and 2.5 mg nitrazepam.[7] The studies conducted by Borg et al. on chronic abusers of diazepam, alprazolam, bromazepam, lorazepam, and clonazepam never produced any kind of abnormalities in brain function, severe deterioration of memory, and speech and communication disorders. Depersonalisation was a withdrawal effect from 20 mg diazepam, 1.7 mg alprazolam, 1.8 mg clonazepam, 14 mg bromazepam, and 4.2 mg lorazepam. These findings suggest that depersonalisation occurs with temazepam, flurazepam, and nitrazepam at doses much lower than their therapeutic doses, whereas the anxiolytics required doses higher than their therapeutic doses to produce a depersonalisation withdrawal effect.

Abrupt withdrawal from very high doses is even more likely to cause severe withdrawal effects. Many well documented cases of withdrawal from high dose abuse of temazepam have caused severe hypoperfusion of the whole brain with diffuse slow activity on EEG. After withdrawal, abnormalities in hypofrontal brain wave patterns persist beyond the withdrawal syndrome and organic brain damage occurs from chronic high dose abuse of temazepam. Widespread abuse of temazepam has provided doctors, pharmacologists, and scientists with plenty of case studies, and as a result, temazepam withdrawal has been well known to cause a sudden and often violent death.[8] High dose abuse of nitrazepam, flunitrazepam, flutoprazepam, triazolam, nimetazepam, flurazepam, and a few other hypnotic benzodiazepines have also been known to cause abnormalities in brain function, including severe hypoperfusion of the whole brain with diffuse slow activity on EEG. Just like temazepam, abnormalities in hypofrontal brain wave patterns persist well beyond the withdrawal syndrome and brain damage occurs. However, cases are not as well documented in medical literature for most of the aforementioned hypnotics as is with temazepam.

Besides the well documented cases of chronic high dose abuse of temazepam and the life threatening withdrawal syndrome associated with it, flutoprazepam, nitrazepam, and triazolam have also been known to cause sudden and violent deaths during withdrawal.

SOURCES:

Borg S; Bergman H, Engelbrektson K, Vikander B. (1989). "Dependence on hypnotic benzodiazepines: neuropsychological impairment, field dependence and clinical course in a 5-year follow-up study.". British journal of addiction. 84 (5): 547-53.

Borg S; Bergman H, Holm L. (Feb 1980). "Neuropsychological impairment and exclusive abuse of hypnotics.". The American journal of psychiatry. 137 (2): 215-7.

Terao T, Yoshimura R, Terao M, Abe K (1992). "Depersonalization following nitrazepam, flurazepam, and temazepam withdrawal". Biol. Psychiatry 31 (2): 212–3

Kitabayashi Y, Ueda H, Narumoto J, et al (2001). "Chronic high-dose temazepam dependence 123I-IMP SPECT and EEG studies". Addict Biol 6 (3): 257–261.

Borg S. Sedative hypnotic dependence: neuropsychological changes and clinical course. Nord Pskiatr Tidsskr 1987; 41: Suppl 15: 17-19.[
]