Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Drug laws in Vietnam and Cambodia.

eDDe9

Bluelighter
Are they strict or pretty relaxed?
Are the cops corrupt and easily bribed if I was to be caught? (bribing in India became a game after a while).

I don't intend to take any drugs with me, and I won't be on the lookout for drugs while there.
But as I'll be out there for a few months, if I made some friends and I got hooked up with some cannabis or opium.. would I be in very dodgy territory?

Also, is there any dance scene in Ho Chi Minh or Hanoi.. not that that's the reason I'm going, I'm just wondering if any parts are similar to Thailand at all?

When are you going? ill be in PP around the 15 march to 25th, would be glad to show you around.

If your into the dance seen you want to stay in thailand, Vietnam and cambodia have clubs but there not like awesome beach partys like in thailand.

Chances are first day in cambodia you will be offred heroin, meth, weed, shrooms ad opium just like my first day .)

[EDIT: Removed source. hoptis]

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got a post in the Aus social if you wanna check it out. Shame I won't be there when you are.

Even if there are areas police are paid off, and you an bribe.. any chance im going to a over crowded, shit and piss infested, disguting AIDSy prison will make me not touch drugs in these countries.. i dont know why people dont think the same.

Last edited:
If you're going to Cambodia, you might as well head to the pharmacy...everything in the store is OTC, you just gotta ask for it. Maybe someone else can provide personal experience, but you should be able to get benzos, opioids, amphetamines.

As Splatt put it, why risk paying a visit to one of their shit hole prisons when their pharmacies are OK to hook you up?

Ok cheers, will do that.
But as I said, I'm not out there looking for drugs.. I'm just sure I'll stumble across them on my travels and want to know what position I'll be in if I was caught accepting.

not sure about Vietnam I think they are more like Thailand, ie pretty nazi bout drugs and if a bribe doesnt work it could be curtains :p

but Cambodia and Laos are pretty poor and in the low likelyhood of getting done a bribe should be easy, and as Mr Blonde said its fair game in pharmacies in Cambodia (Laos also, but not Thailand :() but Im not sure about Vietnam id say you could mostly get em there also

just be cautious about buying I guess (street) to watch for being set up by cops, but then a bribe is probably what theyll be after and youll be sweet I guess.

[EDIT: Source removed. hoptis]

Mr Blonde said:
As Splatt put it, why risk paying a visit to one of their shit hole prisons when their pharmacies are OK to hook you up?

ya agree generally but for some scmokeeweed and i dunno meth or pills they canna do for u 8o

^hey that is a bit harsh I'll try be more careful in future but seriously I think making observations of drug industry/pharmacys in certain countries is/should be fine, also harm reduction reccommendations of minimising risk of being caught have been removed, like wtf

Edit- You were asked to stop telling him where to get drugs. BL is not here to help people score drugs, be that street drugs, pharmaceuticals or anything else. lil angel15

eDDe9 said:
Ok cheers, will do that.
But as I said, I'm not out there looking for drugs.. I'm just sure I'll stumble across them on my travels and want to know what position I'll be in if I was caught accepting.

the best harm reduction advice anyone can give you in this thread is to not put yourself in the situation with illicit drugs that may incur very severe penalties which may include the death penalty.

why not try the most used and abused drug in the world for a while = alcohol

just a thought :)

Edit- Removed unnecessary content. lil angel15

why not try the most used and abused drug in the world for a while = alcohol

Yeah, that would be the safest bet...unless you're like me and can't stand the stuff, lol.

On reviewing the thread I've made a few edits and reapproved a few posts.

Do NOT tell people where to go in a country to procure a particular drug.

Further posts of this nature will see the thread closed.

Man...there are some countries where it's just not worth it. Vietnam and Cambodia are some of those countries IMO.

I only just found this thread. I am currently in Cambodia after being in vietnam for over three weeks. I'll answer as best I can. However, don't take my word as gospel as most of it is gained through reading travel books, talking to other travellers, my own experience and for some things I would be guessing. I'll ty and keep it in forum guidelines.

Drug Laws:
Both are very strict. Severe sentences are handed out, life imprisonment and death sentences are possible. Added to this the police of these countries are very brutal and operate above the law. If arrested being beaten in order to obtain confessions is a real possiblity. If charged your embassy cannoit get you out of trouble. The jails are supposed to be hell holes that make our jails look like 5 star resorts. In this sense there are many similarities with thailand.

The Police: In general they are corrupt. Cambodian police particularly. However, in order to get a bribe you have to have the money and the language skills to negotiate. The amount to be paid will depend on the officer and the drugs and their amounts. For a foreigner, it could easily be over $1000, if you don't have this kind of money and can't negotiate it down then your fucked! It is also entirely possible that will not accept a bribe.
There are less police blocks in these countries than in thailand which means travelling with drugs is a little less risky. I have seen a few in vietnam but yet to see any in thailand. Also remember that undercovers may try and sell you drugs and also dealers may dob you in for a cut of the bribe.

(*snip* Editied out unrequired info madmick19)

Enjoy your trip to these countries but be careful. I would recommend you steer clear whilst over here, there is plenty of fun to be had partying it up on the piss as well all the other delights of travelling to a foreign country. If you do choose to some words of advice.
Don't carry any on you around parts of the city.
Don't travel in a vehicle with drugs (check points can search you and the vehicle and your a target being a foreigner).
Drugs are less predictable here. They are more likely to be adulterated, or either bunk or very pure.
Don't let anyone wh sells you drugs give you a lift to your hotel.

Anyway, safe travels.

Forgot to answer your question about dance clubs.
In vietnam they were shit. Generally consisted of lots of hookers, both women and men. Pretty mixed crowds, lots of foreigners cracking onto hookers - ie. mainly old white guys feeling up some vietnamese guy's dick on the dance floor or chatting up some 19 year honeys. Plenty of vietnamese people there (generally cooler to chat to than the foreigners). Apocalypse Now is probably siagon's biggest dance club but its a dodgy place with shit music and expensive drinks. As for drugs didn't see much in comparison to what you would see in aust. its alot more underground in clubs in asia than back home.
In cambodia only been to one and that was Heart of Darkness in Phneom Phen. Pretty similiar to what a dance club is like in vietnam excpet they search you for drugs and guns at the door (although the rich khmer kids who are muich more likely than a foreigner to carry guns are often not searched). Be careful in this place, as some of the clientel can be pretty nasty.
Stick to thailand for the good dance parties (but often crappy music)

the drug laws there are really strict, although drugs are easy to get. I think doing drugs in a private place would be safe enough, but be really careful not to get caught. A good friend of mine was busted over there... he was crossing the border between laos and vietnam by foot and actually forgot there were some drugs in his bag... only a tiny bit though. The only reason they found them was because they were checking their bags for meat. Anyway, he managed to bribe his way out, but it was a messy, messy business and others may not be so lucky. He had to spend over a week in a horrible jail with nothing in it, filled with murderers and rapists. He lost sooo much weight just in that time. And his dad had to fly over in order to pay the bribe (which was several thousand dollars AU) and he then had to leave the country straight away. So yeah, be really careful...