• [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/4stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/5stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters

IcebergSlim

Bluelighter
poster4.jpg

You know how certain amusement park rides (usually the really scary or herky-jerky ones) have warning signs that say "Look, if you're pregnant enough that you can rest a mug of coffee on top of your belly, then you're definitely not allowed to get on this ride"? I'm paraphrasing there, but already you get my point: Certain rides are too physically strenuous for pregnant women to deal with. Well, I'd like to propose that the ferocious French horror flick À l'intérieur (aka Inside) get one of those signs. Bottom Line: Not since Rosemary's Baby has there been a film to freak out the preggos. I think my water broke three times during À l'intérieur.

Another question: You know how Japanese horror took the film festivals, the arthouses, and the remake machine by storm a few years ago? I was generally underwhelmed by most of those movies. But this new wave of freaky French fright flicks? Dang, all of a sudden I'm a big fan. From Calvaire and Haute Tension to new arrivals like Frontiere(s) and À l'intérieur, I'm starting to think the French take their horror fare very seriously. And I know it's popular nowadays to dislike the French, but if they keep offering imports like this one, I may just pull a Johnny Depp and purchase a palace in Paris.

The plot is a wonderfully stripped-down affair: An extremely pregnant young woman (who recently lost her husband in a terrible car accident) is scheduled to have her baby the next day. So her plan is to spend Christmas Eve alone at home -- miserable gal that she is -- and then check into the hospital in the morning to give birth. Sounds simple enough. Unfortunately there's this outrageously crazy psycho bitch who's entirely convinced that our heroine's unborn baby ... is hers. And let's just say our villainess is not averse to getting her hands (ahem) dirty while extracting the unborn child. That's pretty much it: Two women, one night, several unlucky bystanders, and more fake blood than Herschell Gordon Lewis ever dreamt of.

Some may call it sick and others may call it shamelessly ugly garbage, but as someone who's seen hundreds of horror movies from every corner of the globe -- I'm convinced that À l'intérieur is some sort of maniacal mini-masterpiece. Or if it is just 85 minutes of well-polished genre crap, then it's crap that had me cringing, cheering, clapping, howling and gaping slack-jawed at the screen. It's an audaciously gruesome little flick, there's no doubt about that, and I guarantee it'll cause some controversy once the mainstream catches a whiff. (And I'm very curious to see what my female colleagues think of the film.)

This stylish, sticky and jaw-droppingly graphic 'dark fairy tale' comes from first-timers Alexandre Bustillo and Julien Maury, and it sure seems like the duo wanted to set their debut effort on STUN. As in: You simply won't believe how far over-the-top À l'intérieur gets. It's powerfully gory, admirably unsettling, bleakly amusing, and at its best moments, the movie is deliciously suspenseful. (I counted two self-afflicted indian burns after the movie was over.) But what makes such a simplistic story work so well? My theory is this: When you think about it, there's nothing more valuable than a very pregnant woman. And to see one in danger (let alone danger of THIS dizzying degree) allows a viewer to become instantly invested in her painful plight. Plus both of the leads (Alysson Paradis as the prey, Beatrice Dalle the predator) leap into the mayhem with admirable passion
every review of this movie has been extremely positive, after watching it myself i can concur this film is insanely hardcore and deserves the perfect/near perfect reviews.

the directors are remaking the original 'hellraiser' probally the only remake ill ever be stoked to see !

TRAILER

great slasher! thx for posting about this, i'd never heard of it. is it getting wide release in north america?

a quick review: 4/5
i feel like this had the potential to be a classic (the initial home invasion scenes are incredible), but the director dropped the ball on terror and went the gore/shock route instead. some parts are excellent and scary as hell, others are a little too obvious and corny. the storytelling could have been more poetic, especially for such a simple plot. it's similar to haute tension, but artier and more grim, overall better and scarier. definitely tighter filmmaking. i would compare it to something like hostel, as in it could have been perfect if the directors had stuck to their guns. there have been a few excellent attempts at mainstream horror over the last few years, and i'm sure sooner or later someone is going to nail it. this one had a lot of promise, and i look forward to the directors' next one ... on imdb it says they're working on a hellraiser sequel :D

if you really liked it, you should check out...
irreversible
funny games
both perfect films, on the arty side.
or...
calvaire
reincarnation
more mainstream.

colors said:
is it getting wide release in north america?
yea, by dimension extreme LINK it says 'coming soon' but i've read on sites its suppose to be released in April

thanks for sharing your review, i agree the initial home invasion scenes are great. i love the conversation they have when 'le femme' is at the door, her banging on the door adds great tension to the scene.

i really can't say if i prefer this over haute tension, its such a hard call to make for me. i've watched haute tension at least 30 times and i do feel after watching À l'intérieur a few times it will definitely get the same amount of multiple viewings.
colors said:
if you really liked it, you should check out...
irreversible
funny games
both perfect films, on the arty side.
or...
calvaire
reincarnation
more mainstream.

i have seen the first 3

1) irreversible: i really did enjoy it, although the notorious 'u know what' scene in the tunnel did make me feel uncomfortable as it lasted so long, i thought to myself 'how much long is this gonna go on' :( but i really liked the format in reverse chronological order and how it moved quickly and tense the first half to a slower pace towards the end and ended beautifully with her in the park with the classical music score

2) funny games: amazing film, michael haneke makes great films, (piano teacher is a favorite) funny games was one of the few films that really fuck with my head, id literally wake up n' it would be on my mind. he is making it in english and it comes out this year, it looks to be a shot for shot remake, good casting (tim roth, naomi watts) although im sure ill prefer the original.

3) calvaire: what a 'twisted' movie this was, at times it reminded me a lil bit of david lynch but even more far out, lol.

'reincarnation' i shall look for and hopefully watch it this coming week, we seem to have similar taste, so im lookin forward to it, thanks for the recommendations. peace !