Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Getting involved ...

phrack

Greenlighter
Hey,
I have been lurking around these forums for about a year now and have developed a very keen interest in drugs and drug related harm.
After attending numerous raves and outdoor events I have personally witnessed how people can find themselves in potentially dangerous situations. Its amazing how things can swing from fine and dandy to total cat shit in ~ 0.7 seconds.
I'm just curious as to what sorts of harm minimisation and/or support groups are running in sydney atm which I could possibly become involved in.
If anyone could give me a basic overview of whats available in sydney NSW and a bit of advice on how to get involved in my local area that would be greatly appreciated.

Any Infomation from p_d would esp be held in high regard

Thanks.
PS: I am 19 and currently studying full time at Uni.

Dunno mate, st. johns ambo? Get your senior first aid cert and any other certifications like that maybe? The only group i can think of who help out at nsw events is St. Johns.

Pretty sure some other people will have suggestions. Good on ya.

I know you're interested in helping out in your local area. But...

Bluelight is always looking for people to help give good advice, maybe you could start here?

I'm not sure what organisations are currently operating in Sydney but it's probably worth checking out Code Blue who operate from Canberra* They were talking about setting up a Sydney branch a while ago. Mick should be able to at least point you in the right direction. Another group that is (or was) operating up the coast around the Byron area is 'doofmama'. Again, they might know of others operating closer to the city. A third suggestion is Loveworks who have done the Crowd Care at the BDO in Sydney. I'm not sure how much harm reduction makes up what they do, but I'd definitely inquire.

*madmick19 from Code Blue is a Bluelighter, so if he doesn't reply here, PM a mod and ask him/her to pass on your message, or, wait until you're a Bluelighter and you can do it yourself :)

just thought id poke my head in here to say g'day, codeblue has been sent to the panel shop for a refit, just about ready to go again in FEB 2008.

will be looking to provide a service in sydney with enough volunteers....

Check out Keep It Simple. I volunteer for them and it's a peer based drug harm reduction group aimed at 18-24 year olds. You get trained a for a couple of days and have follow up meetings. The main part is going to events in Sydney and either working on the stand where people can get information, or roving round checking everyone is ok and being an extra eye for medics/security.

I think they are recruiting new people at the moment so check it out! It's a bunch of friendly people who are passionate about the dance scene and spreading real drug education and dispelling the myths!

http://www.kis.org.au/

Try out Unimed, if you're interested in the first aid thing. Uncle Buck has a strong harm minimization approach to life, and was the onsite medic for 'Home' for ages...

I saw a conference presentation from KIS in 2005 - they seemed to be Sydney's answer to Melbourne's Ravesafe. Whereas Unimed would undoubtedly require a different level of training.

Great to see that you want to help out!

Thanks for some of the replies guys ..... I'm not sure if I am all too interested in the Unimed side of things. Although this may change once I become involved in the scene.

Unfortunatly my deep hatred for hippies will prevent me ever having any connections with loveworks .... ever. :p

So far KIS is looking like a good option. I have just send them an email and hopefully will be hearing back from them soon.

I am also intrigued about Codeblue, however I cannot find very much information about it .... If Madmick or anyone else affiliated with Codeblue could possibly point me in the direction of some relevant info that would be great.

Are there any more organisations that come to mind ??

I think a lot are pretty starved of resources, money etc... Is codeblue very active?

I know Nickthecheese is very busy with work these days and he said he hasnt been involved for a while now. who else is still on the Codeblue and enlighten teams? I think Johnboy is very busy as well?

P_D are Ravesafe attending BDO in QLD this year?

P_D are Ravesafe attending BDO in QLD this year?

Yes, the Chill Out Zone (RS base) can be found close to the main entrance, near St John's. See the site map if unsure.

Splatt said:
I think a lot are pretty starved of resources, money etc... Is codeblue very active?

heya splatt as per usual life takes a turn, ive been studying these past two years in the AOD area & used alot of that time to update where CB is, theres a new website that has to be mounted and a few administration things.

but we are on the lookout for volunteers...... seems that i may well have a bit more time on my hands soon

Another option is Save-A-Mate. They had a drug-related ad on ITM. Be interested to hear about people's experiences of SAM, either volunteering for them or being helped by them.

Hey guys,

Just a quick update. I have been in contact with the keep it simple (KIS) group and they seen very keen. They are having a training weekend in Feb which I will most probably be attending.

A big thanks to everyone for their help and all the great suggestions put forward.

PS: To madmick or anybody else involved with CodeBlue .... If CB comes down Sydney way feel free to give me a PM.