• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

What are you reading now? vers. "So I don't end up being a fucking waffle waitress"

lostpunk5545

Bluelighter
What are you reading now? vers. "So I don't end up being a fucking waffle waitress"

Hey, what you readin' for?

I'm reading a Life of Pi.

About half way through, I really love it. It's not the type of book I would normally choose to read (though what is I couldn't tell you) but I was given it as a gift by someone who has good book taste so I took her word for it.

The lesson here is to trust other people more than you trust yourself.

I think that book won the booker prize a few years ago. His second book wasn't as highly acclaimed.

lostpunk5545 said:
Hey, what you readin' for?

fuck yeah.
Bill Hicks is a God.

and I am reading...

The Icarus Girl by Helen Oyeyemi

and

More, Now, & Again by Elizabeth Wurtzel

switching up between those because the Wurtzel memoir seem to make me crave uppers more strongly at times.

Saving Fish from Drowning, by Amy Tan.

I really really want to like Amy Tan, because all my girlfriends say I should, but I really don't. This book is better than Joy Luck but I'm still finding it tedous, and keep looking longingly over to Slash's biography sitting on the bedside table...

I loved The Life of Pi - I've been slowling reading my way through Booker Prize winners for a while now.

I'm actually re-reading Vernon God Little by DBC Pierre - another Booker Prize winner. Fantastic story, a black comedty satirising the US media, talk-shows, and the idea that life in the US is exactly how others perceive it to be.

Front Row at the White House - My life and Times (Helen Thomas).

Really interesting read, she's reported on every president from Kennedy to Clinton.

Another book I'm reading at the moment is 'Les Liaisons Dangereuses' by Choderlos De Laclos. Intriguing. I think its what the movie 'Cruel Intentions' or something was based on.

Strawberry_lovemuffin said:
Saving Fish from Drowning, by Amy Tan.

I really really want to like Amy Tan, because all my girlfriends say I should, but I really don't. This book is better than Joy Luck but I'm still finding it tedous, and keep looking longingly over to Slash's biography sitting on the bedside table...

I have yet to read the Slash book too, did you read Nikki Sixx's book The Heroin Diaries yet? Both the soundtrack and the book we're pretty cool.

^ Yep I read that one already, it's completely awesome. Un-putdownable! You'll dig it. Think I'm going to have to get that soundtrack actually.

Do you find with rock bios you can't help yourself, you have to put on the music of whatever band it is you're reading about? :D

This might sound weird, but I have a habit of reading bios about musos I've previously had no interest in. Then after reading about them I'll listen to a bunch of their cds. Does anyone else do that?

How To Kill - The Definitive History Of The Assassin.

Unfortunately, not an instructional manual, as the first part would seem.

Fantastic read. Details every major political assassination for the past hundred odd years. Pretty gory, but I like truth in my non-fiction.

DoctorShop said:
This might sound weird, but I have a habit of reading bios about musos I've previously had no interest in. Then after reading about them I'll listen to a bunch of their cds. Does anyone else do that?

Yeah I'll do that too. It's usually people whose music I don't particularly dig but who I think might have had an interesting life - Eric Clapton, Chrissie Amphlett etc. Then I'll insanely need to listen to their music, probably because of all the references throughout the book.

Started the Slash book last night! It's pretty good so far. You always get the whiny childhood background first... sometimes that can be a bit tedious (ie. get to the sex drugs and rocknroll already!).... some are worse than others though and this one isn't too bad.

shannonsensimilla said:
fuck yeah.
Bill Hicks is a God.

and I am reading...

The Icarus Girl by Helen Oyeyemi

I've read that... but have completely forgotten anything about it other than being underwhelmed =\

Come back and tell me about it once you've done so I can decide if it deserves a second chance reading.

I always have a second book going on my phone generally courtesy of Project Gutenberg to read on public transport and at general moments of boredom (such as waiting in the waiting room for my GP who is never on time with his fucking bookings). At the moment I'm reading The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald.

No-one has ever actually told me to read this but Hunter S. raves about it in some essays and I've noticed a few people have it in their bookshelves on Face Book, so I figured maybe I'm missing out on something. So far it's pretty brilliant and is a great look at a social class and time a la some of Huxley's works. Probably not as good as Steinbeck but I'm really enjoying it. Much better than the actual physical novel I have sitting on my bedside drawers waiting for pre-sleep reading.

Mary Poppins said:
I am reading Kafka on the shore - Haruki Murakami.

Standard Murakami - ie. sublime :)

Timing. The other night I decided I deserved a present and it was going to be Murakami. I stood in the bookshop for about 20 minutes trying to decide which one and ended up walking out. Loser = me. Magic = him.

I'm still reading Lady Chatterley's Lover however I've got a sneaking suspicion that the version I'm reading is one of the edited versions because I'm nearly finished and there hasn't been a cunt or fuck in sight! My edition was printed in 1963. I might need to re-buy (not that I'm reading it for the raunchy sex but I do want to see what all the fuss was about.)

Aside from the censorship, I think it's beautifully written and I'll be seeking more D. H. Lawrence as soon as I've finished it.

lostpunk: I didn't really like The Great Gastby until I studied it in depth and then I absolutely loved it. It makes me wonder how many amazing books I simply don't understand and therefore can't really appreciate.

For Christmas 2 years ago, my father bought me a copy of the first in The Ellie Chronicles by John Marsden (can't remember any of the names right now). I smiled and said thank you graciously, laughing to myself because I'd bought myself the same book a couple of months earlier.

For Christmas last year, my father bought me a copy of the first in The Ellie Chronicles by John Marsden. I smiled and said thank you graciously, laughing to myself because he'd got the same book for me a year earlier and I'd bought myself the same book a couple of months before that.

I was shopping the other day and decided to finally get the last in The Ellie Chronicles by John Marsden (can't remember that name either). I took it home, read the first page, looked up at my bookshelf, and realised I'd bought myself the same book at some stage last year. Guess this sorta stuff runs in the family.

Anyway, I didn't much like the series, I thought Marsden should have stayed stopped after the Tomorrow series.

I think even the tomorrow series lost steam towards the end and could have finished a book or more earlier. I haven't attempted the newer ones.

uan: As I mentioned it's really reminding me in style of a few Huxley books I read in the last year and they've primed me to enjoy it I guess :) But it's still early days, although it doesn't appear to be a very long novel.

Oh and make sure you tackle East of Eden when you get the chance, it's fucking awesome.