• AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: Herald Sun - 30/12/07 'Teenagers lives at risk- medics'

hoptis

Bluelight Crew
Teenagers lives at risk- medics
Article from: Sunday Herald Sun
Simone Myers
December 30, 2007 12:00am

RAVE organisers are putting teenagers' health at risk by charging exorbitant prices for water, medics say.

With three major raves planned for next month, including two on a sweltering New Year's Day, medics have called for free water to be made available to all.

Revellers at two Daft Punk concerts at the Sidney Myer Music Bowl this month were annoyed when they had to pay $4.50 for a 600ml bottle of water.

Bar staff were also told to remove caps from bottles because they could be used as "missiles".

St John Ambulance treated 92 people at the concerts, many suffering from dehydration.

Many revellers at the $130-a-ticket gigs said the ban on bottle tops and high costs had discouraged them from buying water.

A spokeswoman for Daft Punk promoter Michael Coppell Presents confirmed the bottle top policy.

She said it was for safety reasons.

St John Ambulance spokesman Jonathan Cooper said it was irresponsible to make bar staff remove the lids from water bottles.

Herald Sun

The removal of caps from water bottles at point of sale is a cynical exercise in profit chasing that is becoming more common unfortunately in Melbourne, in some clubs and festivals anyway.

Hmm, ive never had a bottle cap of water taken away from me... isnt that dangerous? people dont just skull water in one go.. they cant do that so you cant refill in the bathroom.

Ive had it happen to me once by a rookie bar girl andf she just gave me the lid she was about to throw in the bin when i yelled oi oi oi

I was at a club last night who had pitchers filled with ice and water and plastic cups available on the bar. I think it was partially to compensate for it being a hot night and them having their balcony closed down due to renovations, but still I was definately a huge fan of the idea, think more clubs should consider it.

Newcastle seems to be more ahead with the free water idea than Sydney, etc. From my experiences anyway. I still wish they kept those jugs behind the bar, eh?

i thought there had to be running water freely available? although there wasnt at the party I was at on saturday.... grr

4.50 isnt really that bad. . ive been to shows that charged 6$

easy solution to the bottle cap thing: bring one from home.
I used to do this anyway so I could put a pop-top lid onto normal water bottles to save me having to unscrew the lid all the time.

Crankinit said:
I was at a club last night who had pitchers filled with ice and water and plastic cups available on the bar. I think it was partially to compensate for it being a hot night and them having their balcony closed down due to renovations, but still I was definately a huge fan of the idea, think more clubs should consider it.

I'm yet to see caps completely removed up here in sydney.